Sony confirms they're working on a new console, patent potentially hints at backwards compatibility

ps (1).png

During an interview with The Financial Times--a business publication--Kenichiro Yoshida, Sony's CEO confirmed that while they don't have anything official to say yet, they are working towards a new console release. "At this point, what I can say is it's necessary to have a next-generation hardware" were his words. Of course, with four iterations of PlayStation systems so far, it's no doubt that Sony would eventually continue its success with gaming consoles. Such a claim shouldn't be a surprise, but it does beg the question as to when the next generation of hardware will actually begin to roll out, marking an end to the current PlayStation 4, which has been selling incredibly well, and if Sony will continue their hot streak.

Yoshida's comment also possibly ties into a document that Sony has filed. Within it is a patent for "remastering by emulation", which would allow for "legacy game software" to be remastered for a "higher resolution display". Though, while the publishing of the patent and its details is from October 2018, Sony actually filed the patent back in 2016, meaning its not certain that it relates to any future hardware, or will definitively be utilized.

The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation.

What are your thoughts? Are you ready for a "PlayStation 5" to maybe get a reveal soon? Do you think Sony can hold onto the lead they gained over Microsoft this gen? And would a new PlayStation system even offer backwards compatibility, when the PlayStation 4 notably did not?

ps.jpg

:arrow: Source 1: Interview
:arrow: Source 2: Patent

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's the gameplay trailer, there was also a regular trailer plus i own a 1080Ti myself and didn't find that gameplay that sharp. Looked to me they were running 1080P basically medium to high settings so def not a devkit of a newer console like the other guy was claiming. Hope it looks a bit better then compared to that gameplay demo because it was a blurrry mess in my eyes

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since we can be pretty sure AMD will make the graphic cards I really hope AMD has some new graphic cards with raytracing specific calculation units in the last phase of development. If real-time raytracing ends like PhysX just because it was released now and not either 1-2 years ago or later when the PS5-gen is planned I get angry... Just let the PS5 and the next XBox both have it. Even if it's very limited. Just no reason to not put it into PC games, thanks.

Reactions: mightymuffy

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow how time is flying, my Xbox one still feels kinda new.

Sony, remove paid online and I'll be jumping ship, if xbox removes paid online il be staying. Would be a huge kick of sand in the face of Nintendo which they deserve

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Backwards compatibility needs to becomes standard for consoles IMO. At least for Playstation/Xbox. So hopefully if a PS5 comes it will have full backwards compatibility. That'd be a big selling point for it. To me at least.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Backwards compatibility needs to becomes standard for consoles IMO. At least for Playstation/Xbox. So hopefully if a PS5 comes it will have full backwards compatibility. That'd be a big selling point for it. To me at least.
except maybe for obvious case
Switch can't really have BC with Wii u games

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would welcome a new PS, maybe this time with Hardware that wont be old on release
When I saw what naughty dog could do with uncharted 4 on a console I immediately asked myself what they could do on a PS5.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not surprised, just about everybody called it after they announced they were cancelling PS Experience. Again, just give me backward compatibility and run games at 60 FPS, even if it has to be in 1080p. I can't believe consoles still haven't gotten over that hump when they use mostly medium graphics settings relative to PC.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since we can be pretty sure AMD will make the graphic cards I really hope AMD has some new graphic cards with raytracing specific calculation units in the last phase of development. If real-time raytracing ends like PhysX just because it was released now and not either 1-2 years ago or later when the PS5-gen is planned I get angry... Just let the PS5 and the next XBox both have it. Even if it's very limited. Just no reason to not put it into PC games, thanks.
This is interesting of course.... I agree completely, but we'll just have to wait and see. Certainly, the current Nvidia RTX cards are more a first wave, testing-the-water kind of thing, but a better push with the next generation of graphics cards, alongside some form of implementation into the new Sony & MS consoles, well that can only be a good thing!;)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not excite right now. Its just thousand words. I will wait much longer.. into 2020 E3 for more reveal one. Its too early anyway.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
except maybe for obvious case
Switch can't really have BC with Wii u games
Not physical games no. That's why i said Playstation/Xbox especially. For nintendo it'd be digital only. But for future consoles any console maker really should keep backwards compatibility in mind. Why throw away an entire game library every new gen when you could use it as incentive.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
The backwards compatibility thing has been all but debunked. That patent was filed a few months before sony released an official PSP emulator for PS4 which injects higher resolution textures into the PS4 versions of PSP games like Parapper the Rapper.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calling it right now, this is not going to be BC with the Blu-Ray discs. It's going to only be BC with your digital purchases on the PS2/3. Hell, who even knows about native BC for PS3 on the PS5 hardware itself? They may want to push PS Now with more streaming solutions coming to the market, either with that xCloud thing or Project Stream.

I want to be optimistic, but considering how things have been the past generation, they'll do whatever they can to nickle-and-dime ya'!

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not physical games no. That's why i said Playstation/Xbox especially. For nintendo it'd be digital only. But for future consoles any console maker really should keep backwards compatibility in mind. Why throw away an entire game library every new gen when you could use it as incentive.
Well, as I said on switch forum
In Quebec at leastm EBGames (GameStop elsewhere) had a promotion for ps3/ps4 games
you can exchange a ps3 games and like 10$, and you get the same game for ps4
It was the same with xbox360 and XBO

I think they should do that with WiiU/Switch

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, as I said on switch forum
In Quebec at leastm EBGames (GameStop elsewhere) had a promotion for ps3/ps4 games
you can exchange a ps3 games and like 10$, and you get the same game for ps4
It was the same with xbox360 and XBO

I think they should do that with WiiU/Switch
That's not relevant at all. That requires there to be an actual port of the game for the next gen. Actual backwards compatibility is so much better.

D

Deleted User

The patent reminds me of the VC release of Pokémon Yellow which injects purple Jynx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    die?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes I'm in mortal danger
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes I'm in mortal danger