Sony confirms they're working on a new console, patent potentially hints at backwards compatibility

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 9, 2018.

Front-page
    ps (1).png

During an interview with The Financial Times--a business publication--Kenichiro Yoshida, Sony's CEO confirmed that while they don't have anything official to say yet, they are working towards a new console release. "At this point, what I can say is it's necessary to have a next-generation hardware" were his words. Of course, with four iterations of PlayStation systems so far, it's no doubt that Sony would eventually continue its success with gaming consoles. Such a claim shouldn't be a surprise, but it does beg the question as to when the next generation of hardware will actually begin to roll out, marking an end to the current PlayStation 4, which has been selling incredibly well, and if Sony will continue their hot streak.

Yoshida's comment also possibly ties into a document that Sony has filed. Within it is a patent for "remastering by emulation", which would allow for "legacy game software" to be remastered for a "higher resolution display". Though, while the publishing of the patent and its details is from October 2018, Sony actually filed the patent back in 2016, meaning its not certain that it relates to any future hardware, or will definitively be utilized.

What are your thoughts? Are you ready for a "PlayStation 5" to maybe get a reveal soon? Do you think Sony can hold onto the lead they gained over Microsoft this gen? And would a new PlayStation system even offer backwards compatibility, when the PlayStation 4 notably did not?

ps.jpg
    :arrow: Source 1: Interview
    :arrow: Source 2: Patent

Discussion (81 replies)
  1. ShonenJump

ShonenJump Gbatemp's Mangaka

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Hero Academia
    not attending psx gave it away that we would know about it sooner or later :P

2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    nah. no BC, just more lazy remasters like Locoroco. For the players

Tony_93, DS1, netovsk and 1 other person like this.
  3. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    What? You don't like cheap PSP emulator upscale releases on PS4? For shame.

Tony_93, DS1, netovsk and 3 others like this.
  4. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    mmmh
    Playstation 5 or Playstation Switch

5. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    If they stick with x86, at a guess Ryzen based, there's not really much of an excuse to not include some kind of free BC.

Looking at the patent though, I wonder if they'll do 'upgrade packs', similar to 4K on the XbonX?

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Tom BombaDadlo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Based on the general public's response from Sony's inability to add BC to the PS4, this makes sense. They'd be fools not to, since that's usually the first "con" I see with the PS4 from most people.

DuoForce likes this.
  7. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    The patent describes the PSP remastering process, it's already been used.

The PS5 is likely to be just another upgraded version of the PS4, like the PS4 Pro was.

Last edited by smf, Oct 9, 2018
  8. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I feel like there has to be some backwards compatibility. Even if they didn't automatically remaster games for free or at a discount (meh).

I also feel like they aren't going wait until 2021 at this point, to release the console.

9. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Sticking with x86 is basically 99.999-recurring% a definite, especially with MS doing the same, and the massive popularity of the PS4. Ryzen-based is also likely, and yes I'm sure there's some X1X style resolution etc upgrading trickery going on.

The only problem: consoles are now surely following the phone industry of somewhat incremental updates: CPU should be a massive boost over current gen for sure, but a 1080Ti beating GPU monster is unlikely, and 16GB ram/SSD, while possible, is not a guarantee either. Fingers crossed though, and the generational jump in CPU is certainly great news!

Surely our PS4 collections will all run - what I'm interested in is, especially in the case of indie/retro titles, will some 'PS5' games run on our PS4s? It's quite possible future game boxes will have 'Also plays on PS4' or similar...

geodeath likes this.
  10. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Spiky!

Mar 27, 2012
    France
    We already knew that they have been rolling out PS5 devkits for a while now. If I recall that's what the Cyberpunk demo at E3 was reportedly running on.

DuoForce likes this.
  11. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I suspect they'll continue the 'half gen' (i.e. PS5 followed by PS5 Pro) approach until they decide to switch to cloud gaming and/or a full switch to mobile gaming (both of which I dislike).

Treeko and mightymuffy like this.
  12. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    I can't wait to see what it's this time that they'll copy from the competition. ^_^

Bladexdsl likes this.
  13. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 29, 2015
    United States
    Give me a bloodborne remaster with 60 fps and some of the games issues smoothed over and I'll get this day 1. Otherwise I'm done with sony.

14. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I hope not because that was such a low resolution that it made everything blurry as hell so i doubt it

15. BORTZ

BORTZ Tired of being the good guy

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    If i can't pop my PS4 disks into the PS5 and have them run like nothing changed, I am going to count that against sony. There is no reason that can't be the case.

geodeath and gameboy like this.
  16. switchbricker

switchbricker Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2018
    United States
    it was on a GTX 1080 Ti.

Megadriver94 and Xzi like this.
  17. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    No i just watched it again, it is a ps4 trailer so it was running on the ps4

18. Cecilmax

Cecilmax GBAtemp Fan

Mar 7, 2015
    Canada
    I think, backward compatibly can just help selling more consoles. For myself, I never buy new console when they come out because there is not enough new game on it, so I wait 1-2 years. But if the console is backward compatible, I would buy it immediately and play my old games on it while waiting for new game. Plus, Im a retro gamer, so if I can have a console that will play all ps1-ps4 games without have to hack it, I will definitively buy it right away :)

19. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Stray Sheep Bar
    The PS4 came out some time ago, so I can see them bringing out a new console. I'd say 2020 as a release date