Sony confirms that the PlayStation 5 will be region-free, and other details, in new FAQ page

ps5555.png

Following in the footsteps of its predecessor, Sony has confirmed that just like the PlayStation 4, the PlayStation 5 will also be region-free. While the confirmation may not be the most shocking detail about the console, many can be relieved that Sony's next-gen system will be able to play imports without worry. The information was revealed in the latest PlayStation Blog, posted today, which rounds up questions customers might have about the PlayStation 5 and answers them. Other details mentioned include future system updates for the console that will allow support for M.2 SSD upgrades, 3D surround sound audio for speakers, and 8K output. You can view the full FAQ which is quite thorough by checking out the PlayStation Blog link below.

:arrow: Source

playsaves3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Highly improbable. Solid state storage is the last component that's going to fail in that system, wear leveling techniques and new developments in NAND have greatly extended the lifespan of SSD's. On average they work flawlessly for 10 years of heavy, daily grind. When Google tested modern modules in their data centers, they clocked 6 years on average per drive, and those drives were running operations 24/7.
on the topic of your profile pic with the announcement that sonic unleashed runs smoothly on series x do you think they will reupload the game for ps5?

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
on the topic of your profile pic with the announcement that sonic unleashed runs smoothly on series x do you think they will reupload the game for ps5?
No, sega wants us to completely forget that game exists because why improve on the past when you could act like it isn’t there

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Was it faster than Xbox one? Xbox’s web browser was so slow!
Yes it is much better than Xbox Edge. Tho i suspect Edge might be seeing an overhaul soon since the Xbox Store got updated recently and is much better now. That and based on the icon it seems to be the old Edge browser, not the new Chromium based one.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't know there was a law but that makes sense. I wish their store was global

There is no law as such, but contractually there would be issues for sony if they made it region free bluray/dvd.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believer the hacker developers will find a way to hack it without a browser. The browser for exploitable is not always the answer, anyway. They are not stupid, you know.

It's unlikely the ps5 will be software hacked if there is no browser (current ps3 & ps4 exploits rely on browser) & tx may have put off any commercial hardware hacks.

Last edited by smf,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I had a quick looksee at how Sony engineered the adaptive triggers, the one interesting and game-changing feature of the new controller. I like it - it looks very big-brained and robust. I see a servo and a pot to measure not just the trigger press resistance, but also the physical resistance. They kept it simple while making it highly repairable - the module can be opened and is easily replaceable. Very cool, thanks TronixFix.

110420-PS5-DualSense-TronicsFix-YouTube.jpg

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
In my country since the fake pandemic, consoles went way up in price. Even a PS3 in good condition is expensive! I cannot even imagine how expensive the PS5 will be here!

Thankfully, there is 0 games that I could be excited about this new gen. More excited about all the SNES games I haven't played.

There is always at least one game, one must buy game that makes you get a console, this is just not happening for me this gen at all. On the PS4 it was the Last Guardian for me, wasn't so great in the end, but it made me get a PS4. What do we have now? Anybody knows of a game coming out that is a must buy?

susi91

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Solid state storage is the last component that's going to fail in that system

Here is a tweet about the ssd:
--------

Last edited by susi91,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Of course the chips will *eventually* fail, I'm simply saying that concern is rather distant. NAND chip replacement is a routine procedure right now, even on consoles like the Switch where people have modded the console's storage modules to contain more than the standard 32GB of storage. I think that any critical, console-specific data would be stored elsewhere simply to lock out a possible exploit window - you don't want keys and such to be in accessible space, even if encrypted. I suppose time will tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr