Sony confirms that the PlayStation 5 will be region-free, and other details, in new FAQ page

ps5555.png

Following in the footsteps of its predecessor, Sony has confirmed that just like the PlayStation 4, the PlayStation 5 will also be region-free. While the confirmation may not be the most shocking detail about the console, many can be relieved that Sony's next-gen system will be able to play imports without worry. The information was revealed in the latest PlayStation Blog, posted today, which rounds up questions customers might have about the PlayStation 5 and answers them. Other details mentioned include future system updates for the console that will allow support for M.2 SSD upgrades, 3D surround sound audio for speakers, and 8K output. You can view the full FAQ which is quite thorough by checking out the PlayStation Blog link below.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
meanwhile here in europe we cant even preorder PS5. gg wp sony
Pretty sure pre-orders are sold out everywhere (at least they are in the US too), I'm just gonna hit Best Buy and/or Gamestop on launch day and try my luck. Both next-gen consoles seem really solid based on reviews so far, great performance and thermals. Based on DigitalFoundry's review, I'm not sure why Sony was so apprehensive about backward compatibility; PS4 games perform better than they do on PS4 Pro, and at a lower power draw. Everybody talking up that PS5 controller really makes me want one, too.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure pre-orders are sold out everywhere (at least they are in the US too), I'm just gonna hit Best Buy and/or Gamestop on launch day and try my luck. Both next-gen consoles seem really solid based on reviews so far, great performance and thermals. Based on DigitalFoundry's review, I'm not sure why Sony was so apprehensive about backward compatibility; PS4 games perform better than they do on PS4 Pro, and at a lower power draw. Everybody talking up that PS5 controller really makes me want one, too.

Sony can't handle preorders worth a damn, impossible to get one online.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No Web browser is a big disappointment for me, I use it on the reg on my PS4 Pro to stream from websites that don't have a dedicated app on the store or to look up maps and other game-related content mid-session when I just can't find that last collectible necessary for a trophy. I sure hope they re-enable this functionality (the system settings still have references to the browser, so it was clearly on the system at one point), but I can totally see why Sony would want to disable it on their new flagship.

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No Web browser is a big disappointment for me, I use it on the reg on my PS4 Pro to stream from websites that don't have a dedicated app on the store or to look up maps and other game-related content mid-session when I just can't find that last collectible necessary for a trophy. I sure hope they re-enable this functionality (the system settings still have references to the browser, so it was clearly on the system at one point), but I can totally see why Sony would want to disable it on their new flagship.
Will probably have a browser like Switch does to login into a network tho; that would be easy to redirect

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Sony can't handle preorders worth a damn, impossible to get one online.
Except it's not Sony. Scalpers these days are rampant AF. I think the bigget mistake they made this time was going online for most, if not all orders.

As far as region free goes? Not really surprising, is it? Nor is it really newsworthy. It'd be different if they said there's a region lock.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I feel like region-free should be the expected norm by this point. Like, even The Big N finally made their system region-free. I am pretty sure people throw actual shit at Sony HQ if they made the PS5 region-locked and Sony knows this

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Chances are very slim. I wonder how much of a lose Sony is selling for. $500 is too good of a deal.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except it's not Sony. Scalpers these days are rampant AF. I think the bigget mistake they made this time was going online for most, if not all orders.

As far as region free goes? Not really surprising, is it? Nor is it really newsworthy. It'd be different if they said there's a region lock.

Scalpers can piss up a rope for all I care

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
My tv is broken so I need to buy new one (maybe 1080p and wait for better hdmi 2.1 tvs), new consoles and my mothers birthday is on 15 of November hehe. I will lose alot of money this month.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s