Sony confirms PS5 won't be backwards compatible with PS1, PS2, or PS3 games

download.jpg
Famitsu recently interviwed Playstion's CEO, Jim Ryan which was translated to English by Siliconera. In that interview, Ryan confirmed two things. First, the PlayStation 5 will have a 99% compatibility with all PlayStation 4 titles. Second, the PS5 will not have backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.

Famitsu: We were also surprised when we heard that it will have 99% compatibility with PS4 titles. By the way, will there be compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles?

Jim Ryan: We keep in mind the engineering specialized for the PS5, as we produced the device. In the midst of that, the PS4 already has 100 million players; we thought they ought to want to play PS4 titles on the PS5 as well indeed, so we included compatibility with the PS4. While implementing that, we also focused our efforts on taking in the high-speed SSD and the new controller DualSense at the same time. So, unfortunately, we couldn’t reach the implementation of such compatibilities.

This news makes it clear that remastered versions of the PS1/2/3 era games for the PS4 will still be playable on the PS5 via backwards compatibility with the PS4. However, the confirmation that backwards compatibility is limited to the PS4 may be upsetting to some, but it is likely not surprising. What classic PS1, PS2, or PS3 era games do you wish you were able to play on the PS5?

:arrow: Source

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
D

Deleted User

I think I'm going to wait awhile even for PS5. I'm not real happy with 825 GB of storage, especially since some of that will be taken up by my PS4 collection. I like having a lot of games and I want them readily available to play at my own wish without having to install/uninstall al lthe time. If I buy an additional SSD they're about $130 for a 1 TB SSD. Hopefully in 1-2 years the prices will be significantly lower.

Last edited by ,

White_Raven_X

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree that 825gb is not enough especially when games like spiderman are said to be 50gb. There's 2tb ssd right now at Newegg dot ca that is on sale for $299.00cad (WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB Internal Ssd) and it's actually .5gb/s faster then the 5.5gb/s 825gb Ps5 drive. Definetly a worth while upgrade Imo.

Lazyt

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
i am still waiting for that special unexpected ps5 feature announcement since February that Playstation CEO said it's going to reveal.

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is what confuses me

no I think its smart to approach this skeptically still

people were calling me silly and dumb, but "most of the top 100 games" to "most games period" needs to be clarified and cant be taken at face value. That's a quantum leap of a claim, overnight.

Would it be nice that they aren't BS'ing? Absolutely. But Sony has been a mixed bag about lots of messaging so far, so I'm in the 'wait and see' camp.

if theres actual ps4 pro hardware in the system, and it is natively playing games and very few if any have issues, I will likely sell my ps4 pro, probably even my xbox one s which has been a glorified 4k blu ray player pretty much since I got it after trading in my VCR xbox one, and get one. Because why not?

Otherwise, never mind the gap between now and launch of being without a ps4 pro, I would approach this claim incredibly skeptically. Particularly because ps3 had no native play BC (outside of the first run which was a YLOD brick), and ps4 not at all.

--

I also really dont like that we are stuck to having to use an external hard drive, again, and problem exacerbated with bigger installs most definitely this next generation. Got a 2TB attached to my 1TB Pro, with ~800gb remaining net and a dozen PSPlus titles in a folder separated, and two dozen of disc installs.

Looked at 'gee by now I can get a 4TB 2.5" 9.5mm max height drive for cheap surely... right'? Since Pro launched in late 2016, and we're about 4 years later.

They dont even exist. Best is 2TB internal with that height, if you aren't filthy rich and sliding a massive SSD in there, and that doesn't really solve my dilemma of still needing an external.

I do appreciate that the internal on ps5 is like 825GB SSD or something, that must be expensive for Sony, but also not optional for the throughput they'll need for textures, rendering, etc etc.

Two of my friends are ditching PlayStation this time and both will get Series X this generation..

They got really pissed when Sony announced that ps5 would work just the few 100s of those being PlayStation major titles only for ps5.

Before they made this statement on which you can fond on this podcast:

They also got pissed after realizing Sony would charge then again to upgrade the very same games they own for a remaster version. Before Sony charged again for the Injustice 1 and Red Dead 1 Remasters for PS4, while Microsoft gave free Remasters upgrade from both titles of which have better graphics and framerates compared to the PS4 counterparts.

Sony charged PS3 owners of The Last of Us again for the ps4 "remaster" version, and so they will charge now again for the Spider-Man "Remaster" of PS5.

People won’t get Spider-Man PS4 Remaster Upgrade for free even if they own Spider-Man PS4

Unreal Engine 5 footage ran at 1440p 30 FPS on PS5, featured no ray tracing

So now is up to any individual who will decide to blindly get a PS5 without any research go for it, but if you care on what you spend your money is totally worth a bit of effort on doing a deep research about it..

I would advise a bit of research first before buying PS5. I didn't buy the Xbox One in 2013 because I didn't want to waste my money on it, my first Xbox One, was the Xbox One X, I got in 2018 and I have no regrets on it, but again I did a few researches before buying it.

I am glad that I didn't take the same steps of my friends, now 1 will need to keep his PS4 in order to play the games he owns, while the other will have to sell everything and move from the start all over on the Xbox Series X...

Xbox is taking the same approach that PC always had, BACKWARDS AND FORWARD COMPATIBILITY!!!

gersonzero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what this means for the PS2 on PS4 games like Parappa The Rapper, Wild Arms, etc. I guess technically they are now PS4 games? Also if Medievil is playable on PS5, which has the original PS1 game unlockable, then why can't PS1 games make it onto PS4/5? Seems like Sony just doesn't want to bother.

White_Raven_X

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@PROTOBOY
Your argument makes no sense... Forward compatibility?? Nobody does this and nobody would even expect that. That defies the whole point of engineering a "next gen" console....because it's not forward compatible... It's better then the last one so obviously you cannot play games from the PS5 onto the PS4. On the other hand I do believe that backward compatibility is something that most console owners want. Also I'm not sure what your talking about when you say that playstation is charging for remastered versions of their games.... Uhmmmm.... So if everyone else do where is your point? Btw big titles like cyberpunk 2077 actually is NOT charging for the PS5 version of the game when you have purchased the PS4 version.
@D34DL1N3R might be a little rude but he might have a point...do you work for Microsoft?!?! Lol
@gersonzero can you fit your Nintendo game cartridge into a Nintendo switch? Can you fit your Nintendo game cartridge into a Nintendo 64? But I don't see people "NOT" buying Nintendo because of that! It's all about money. I get it. I'm not mad about it but at least they make the previous gen compatible with the latest. Why would this even be a game changer? People have always kept their previous consoles anyways.

Last edited by White_Raven_X,
Reactions: gersonzero

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@PROTOBOY
Your argument makes no sense... Forward compatibility?? Nobody does this and nobody would even expect that. That defies the whole point of engineering a "next gen" console....because it's not forward compatible... It's better then the last one so obviously you cannot play games from the PS5 onto the PS4. On the other hand I do believe that backward compatibility is something that most console owners want. Also I'm not sure what your talking about when you say that playstation is charging for remastered versions of their games.... Uhmmmm.... So if everyone else do where is your point? Btw big titles like cyberpunk 2077 actually is NOT charging for the PS5 version of the game when you have purchased the PS4 version.
@D34DL1N3R might be a little rude but he might have a point...do you work for Microsoft?!?! Lol

I meant that's will work forward same way we buy a game on PC we have it, that's it. We buy on XONE will work on Series X, we buy on Series X will worn n the next gen and so on.

No I don't work for microsoft, but I as a geek I do a lot of research before buying a new tech.

Last edited by PROTOBOY,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I don't work for microsoft, but I as a geek I do a lot of research before buying a new tech.

Can you prove that you're not AestheticGamer aka Dusk Golem? You know, the MS shill that openly admitted to making stuff up to hurt the PS5's success? Including most recently, completely fabricating a story that PS5 was struggling to run Resident Evil Village, so devs are considering removing graphical features to make it run evenly across all platforms. Sounds EXACTLY like something that would come out of your mouth.

White_Raven_X

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I meant that's will work forward same way we buy a game on PC we have it, that's it. We buy on XONE will work on Series X, we buy on Series X will worn n the next gen and so on.

You mean "Xbox play anywhere"...?? Well that's not for every title. You also pay slightly more for that, and as I mentioned why buy an Xbox x if the graphics will be better on pc and you could just buy it on pc anyways. But if I can be very honest, I hardly pay for games on pc nowadays. But I will absolutely buy a title on PS4/PS5 that I cannot get on PC.

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you prove that you're not AestheticGamer aka Dusk Golem? You know, the MS shill that openly admitted to making stuff up to hurt the PS5's success? Including most recently, completely fabricating a story that PS5 was struggling to run Resident Evil Village, so devs are considering removing graphical features to make it run evenly across all platforms. Sounds EXACTLY like something that would come out of your mouth.

I am not implying anything from my mouth nor any sort of fake arguments. I'm just sharing what I've found.

If you are happy on having to pay for the Spidey remaster on ps5 despite owning(presumably) the ps4 version and also okay of having a fake next gen system go for it. I would rather buy a gaming laptop than a ps5.

If you are okay with that be happy and play wherever you want.

No, I mean that microsoft will probably stich with the same language in their future systems, they probably realized that they should do just like PC has always been.

We bought games on WinXP and we can still play on Win10, we buy games on Win10 and still we're gonna able to play on the future windows and linux versions. Regardless of which hardware we own, the games will always be OUR games..

Last edited by PROTOBOY,
Reactions: Ryccardo

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not implying anything from my mouth nor any sort of fake arguments. I'm just sharing what I've found.

If you are happy on having to pay for the Spidey remaster on ps5 despite owning(presumably) the ps4 version and also okay of having a fake next gen system go for it. I would rather buy a gaming laptop than a ps5.

If you are okay with that be happy and play wherever you want.

Might want to stop with the presuming, seems a common thing for you. I never bought Spider-Man on PS4 because I borrowed it from my son. NEver played any of the DLC either so it will be a great purchase for me personally.

If you AREN'T happy with PS and want to play XB... go for it. Play whatever you want. But then also stop with your excessive and tired Sony/PS5 bashing. Do like you said... play whatever you want. Everyone here already knows exactly how you feel about it. There's no need to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how you feel about Sony and the PS5.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,
Reactions: White_Raven_X

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Might want to stop with the presuming, seems a common thing for you. I never bought Spider-Man on PS4 because I borrowed it from my son. NEver played any of the DLC either so it will be a great purchase for me personally.

If you AREN'T happy with PS and want to play XB... go for it. Play whatever you want. But then also stop with your excessive and tired Sony/PS5 bashing. Do like you said... play whatever you want. Everyone here already knows exactly how you feel about it. There's no need to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how you feel about Sony and the PS5.

Dude, I don't know why you came here arguing with me on the first place, I was just replying another member post and you just came from nowhere all of it against me.,

What you made has no sense..

But yeah, happy gaming for you and stay chill dude..

White_Raven_X

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Look let's be transparent here.... There is very slight differences in hardware between XBOX SERIES X and PS5. The only major difference here is the software. Software has always been upgradable over time which helps to improve hardware capabilities (I'm going to sound like Trump here) on both sides. So to say that one is better then the other is completely ridiculous. They have always been a close competition with each other and once again they will be. The only "preference" here is with the titles.

Last edited by White_Raven_X,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I don't know why you came here arguing with me on the first place, I was just replying another member post and you just came from nowhere all if it against me.,

What you made has no sense..

But yeah, happy gaming for you and stay chill dude..

You're being excessive about it. Period. It's like you're insisting with every ounce of energy you have, that people change their mind and NOT buy a PS5. Your arguments aren't going to change the mind of a single Playstation fan, so it's all pointless to begin with. Are arguments against XBSX stopping you from buying one? When you read pages of someone telling you why MS sucks and why Xbox's suck... do you say "Oh! I guess I better not buy an Xbox! Thanks!!!!"

You're entitled to your opinion. But it's excessive at this point. There's really not much reason to say anything more about it than you already have.

D

Deleted User

I agree that 825gb is not enough especially when games like spiderman are said to be 50gb. There's 2tb ssd right now at Newegg dot ca that is on sale for $299.00cad (WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB Internal Ssd) and it's actually .5gb/s faster then the 5.5gb/s 825gb Ps5 drive. Definetly a worth while upgrade Imo.

Then you're talking $800 for console + SSD. No console is worth that. I would just stick to my gaming PC.

However I think if I wait these prices will eventually come down. They always do.

D

Deleted User

what the hell $ony ps5 wont be compatible with ps1,ps2,ps3....

Ok greedy company i dont want spent any money from you from now on...

I'll stay with ps3 and ps4, but the source says will be compatible... What now???

One question though... Are you high sony? Millions people expecting ps5 to be compatible but....

What a greedy company ***k that.

White_Raven_X

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm all for a good debate on the XBSX & PS5
what the hell $ony ps5 wont be compatible with ps1,ps2,ps3....

Ok greedy company i dont want spent any money from you from now on...

I'll stay with ps3 and ps4, but the source says will be compatible... What now???

One question though... Are you high sony? Millions people expecting ps5 to be compatible but....

What a greedy company ***k that.

Are you protoboy's friend? Look, owners of the PS4 couldn't play PS3, PS2, or PS1 games on the PS4 neither so was it a game breaker for Playstation fans.... NO it wasn't. You can see that because of the overwhelming sales of PS4's. Going forward the PS5 IS backward compatible with PS4 games... So this is better then the PS4 backward compatibility. Now look at the price, when PS4 came out is sold for $399usd. Now look at the PS5 Digital Edition costs $399 and the disc drive edition PS5 costs $499 and it has backward compatibility (digitally and disk)....

So what are you really complaining about.... Your obviously a Microsoft "fanboy" too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself