1. White_Raven_X

White_Raven_X Hack everything, hack the world!

Canada
    I'm definitely a "fanboy" sorry to disappoint you lol

2. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    We're all fanboys of what we buy! Otherwise, what motivates us to buy them?

Well, except scalpers. Money motivates them to buy these.

3. White_Raven_X

Canada
    I'm not very happy... Here in Canada they were supposed to have the pre-order on the 17th but Walmart fooked everyone over and started the pre-sale on the 16th at 4pm... So when midnight hit and I went online, every where was sold out! I've pre-ordered every playstation that came out so I'm pretty bummed that I didn't get one this time around. What angers me more are those who buy multiple consoles only to resell at a higher price. Well I guess I'll be one of those people that will have to stand in line in the stores come November.

Last edited by White_Raven_X, Sep 20, 2020
  4. PROTOBOY

PROTOBOY GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I will get Xbox Series X.

Series X & PS5 will be just like the 360 & PS3 generation, where as this generation Xbox has more advantage than before.

photo_2020-09-20_22-16-38.jpg

5. playstays_shun

playstays_shun GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is what confuses me

no I think its smart to approach this skeptically still

people were calling me silly and dumb, but "most of the top 100 games" to "most games period" needs to be clarified and cant be taken at face value. That's a quantum leap of a claim, overnight.

Would it be nice that they aren't BS'ing? Absolutely. But Sony has been a mixed bag about lots of messaging so far, so I'm in the 'wait and see' camp.

if theres actual ps4 pro hardware in the system, and it is natively playing games and very few if any have issues, I will likely sell my ps4 pro, probably even my xbox one s which has been a glorified 4k blu ray player pretty much since I got it after trading in my VCR xbox one, and get one. Because why not?

Otherwise, never mind the gap between now and launch of being without a ps4 pro, I would approach this claim incredibly skeptically. Particularly because ps3 had no native play BC (outside of the first run which was a YLOD brick), and ps4 not at all.

--

I also really dont like that we are stuck to having to use an external hard drive, again, and problem exacerbated with bigger installs most definitely this next generation. Got a 2TB attached to my 1TB Pro, with ~800gb remaining net and a dozen PSPlus titles in a folder separated, and two dozen of disc installs.

Looked at 'gee by now I can get a 4TB 2.5" 9.5mm max height drive for cheap surely... right'? Since Pro launched in late 2016, and we're about 4 years later.

They dont even exist. Best is 2TB internal with that height, if you aren't filthy rich and sliding a massive SSD in there, and that doesn't really solve my dilemma of still needing an external.

I do appreciate that the internal on ps5 is like 825GB SSD or something, that must be expensive for Sony, but also not optional for the throughput they'll need for textures, rendering, etc etc.

Last edited by playstays_shun, Sep 20, 2020
    PROTOBOY likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

It's not really a surprise if you understand the architectures of PS4 and PS5, they are very similar. Which PS3 was totally different than anything ever done before or after. I have absolutely no reason to believe until proven otherwise they would lie right before launch that 99% of games are working. Why the sudden change I don't know, but there is no reason to think it's not true until proven otherwise.

Backwards compatibility is never a deal breaker for me though anyway. Even if somehow no PS4 games worked, it's not a big deal I can just keep my PS4 I already have.

Last edited Sep 20, 2020
  7. playstays_shun

United States
    I hope you are right. Not just for forum debating purposes, but us as consumers.

...That's what I'm saying though, is there has to be an explanation why it changed from top 100 to 99% of all. Again, thats like saying 0 to 60 in 12 seconds. Oh just kidding, re-checked our tests and it was 2.8 seconds actually.

There has to be some reason it was originally only top 100, period, because if the architecture is that similar that's an absurdly cautious and conservative estimation to make in the first place, to the point of nonsense really.

Lack of transparency is what worries me with this 180 degree shift of a claim.

I think Sony also claimed lots of exclusives, and most of these are timed or going to be released alongside PS4 (which I am happy about as someone who won't jump ship right away anyways, but still lends to a credibility problem)

for some. for others, a ps4 pro can be a massive down payment on a ps5 and ease the blow significantly. ie "not many games, theyre now $70 a pop, new accessories, but hey its only $200 and I will get one anyways so why not this year"

Last edited by playstays_shun, Sep 20, 2020
    PROTOBOY likes this.
  8. White_Raven_X

Canada
  9. playstays_shun

United States
    White_Raven_X likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Same, I don't know if I'd get a Series X anyway because I was pretty disappointed overall in the Xbox One. Xbox 360 was a really good console IMO as far as games to choose from, Xbox One not so much, and now that I have a GTX 1650 I am probably good for a few years on next gen (except I won't be able to do ray tracing I guess) and can just get the select few games that are exclusive to Series X on PC so I have zero reason to buy it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That's a fair point about defraying some of the cost. I will probably do the same. But again, Sony would be absolutely foolish to lie about something like this 6 weeks from the console launch. It would be devastating to their brand that's why I do not believe they are lying at all.

11. supershadow64ds

Newcomer

United States
    Man they just keep dropping the ball on this...

Xbox might overtake Sony this generation.

12. playstays_shun

United States

I doubt it.

MS doesn't seem to know, or necessarily care if they do know, that people would prefer to have a PC vs a console if there are no exclusives and the titles are the same.

Deleted User likes this.
  13. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

United States
    Nintendo will overtake both of them.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Well they shouldn't care, because it's their PCs that those games are on as well. They just have an endless flow of money Xbox brand means very little to them. They even said so here https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-really-doesnt-care-if-you-buy-an-xbox-series-x-heres-why

playstays_shun likes this.
  15. playstays_shun

United States
    Their financing / game pass plans are crafty as hell I’ll be honest. But still throw in a half
    Dozen exclusives and I’ll be smitten instead of just bystander impressed

if they’re gonna subsidize hw they should reap the benefits financially significantly not just exerting a presence and a portfolio

16. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Excusives are the key. And on Xbox One they were very unimpressive to me overall. A few decent ones like Gears 4 and 5. Forzas were probably their best games but racing games shouldn't be a consoles best games IMO. Halo 5 was disappointing. I thought Re-Core was underrated one of their better exclusives wish they would do sequels but I doubt it. State of Decay 2 sucked Crackdown 3 sucked. Just very lackluster overall. One of the biggest disappointments since the Nintendo 64 to me.

17. White_Raven_X

Canada
    I'm sorry to say but every single game you quoted above were NOT exclusives. I had every one of those games on pc.....and there's my point. Thanks!

*edit* halo 5 wasnt on pc sorry.

Last edited by White_Raven_X, Sep 21, 2020
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

You're right I misspoke. I should have said "not on PS4". Even if they were only on Xbox One, they were disappointing.

White_Raven_X likes this.
  19. White_Raven_X

Canada
    Don't get me wrong... I was a huge fan of Xbox 360...mine is rgh with over 800 games (3 HDD that I've stuffed inside instead of the DVD drive) and I still play once in a while.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Same but I don't have that many. 380 was all I needed but a lot of others are on my CFW PS3 that could have been on my RGH. But not even combined are they 800 lol.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - compatible, backwards, confirms