Sony Confirms PS4.5 Existence but no-show for E3

playstation-45_0.jpg

In an interview with Financial Times, Sony executive Andrew House has confirmed the existence of a new, more powerful version of their home console, codenamed "Neo,". He added that it is “intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4" and that “we will be selling both through the life cycle.” However it will not be unveiled at this year's E3.

:arrow: SOURCE

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If they were gonna do this they shoulda just made the PS4 modular. There's absolutely no advantage to buying two PS4s instead of one PC which you can then upgrade later.
That would significantly ramp up the price.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That would significantly ramp up the price.
By a little, if at all. It would be a matter of changing the custom case around a bit, that's it. Then individual parts are just priced based on performance. Typically I would say they're in different markets, but if Sony expects people to buy the PS4 and then buy a PS4.5, you're entering ~$800 territory, which will build you a PC that performs better than either iteration of the console anyway.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By a little, if at all. It would be a matter of changing the custom case around a bit, that's it. Then individual parts are just priced based on performance. Typically I would say they're in different markets, but if Sony expects people to buy the PS4 and then buy a PS4.5, you're entering ~$800 territory, which will build you a PC that performs better than either iteration of the console anyway.
Trade in, good sir, trade in. Soc is definitely cheaper than less produced and more-ports parts.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Funny how some current PS4 owners think "We shouldn't have to be buying a new PS4 already!", but are also upset that they aren't showing it at E3.

I challenge you to find me one person who is both complaining about it's existence and that it's not being shown at E3

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I wouldn't call that "rebranded Dteam Machines", at the end of the day all hardware we use today springs from old designs from the 80'ies. All architectures have roots in the Intel chips, either structurally or via inspiration. The "future" will come when all our devices are interconnected and cross-compatible, and we're making huge strides to get there in recent years. Interpreted programming languages like Java or C# and environment overlays like WINE exist specifically to remove hardware constraints and focus on software. That's an ideal though, years ahead of us, PlayStation will probably retain some degree of hardware dependency and a certification system.

Indeed. I see it basically ending up being similar what the 3DO was trying to achieve - a box under your TV, from whatever given manufacturer, that is "PlayStation Compatible". Then you have all the mobile stuff, and probably a PlayStation player app for your PC.

They have a big advantage over the 3DO concept, though, in that they actually *have* a brand to begin with.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Trade-in usually involves getting way less money for your hardware than what it's worth. Modular consoles would keep resale value higher.
Modular consoles go against the core principle of console hardware, which is Plug & Play. The moment you expect your usetbase to upgrade their system themselves is the moment when you lose them to PC gaming.

Reactions: MrJason005

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll keep my PS4.0 for exclusives and my PC I'll build eventually for VR.

I mean, that's the justification for the PS4.5 is competent VR.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll keep my PS4.0 for exclusives and my PC I'll build eventually for VR.

I mean, that's the justification for the PS4.5 is competent VR.
...and better resolution/framerate in future/Neo-updated titles, don't forget about that. While VR is completely irrelevant to me, Neo Mode is something I'm interested in.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
guys, does anyone know whether the new ps4 will have upgraded processors?

i do not care much about the 4k media player ( i highly doubt that there will be any console anytime soon playing 4k Game content at 60fp LOL.. too early for that ) .

so i think the least we know is that it will be able to play 4k media yeah?

i do not care about that VR thing either (i know it looks cool and all, but i dont have the money to spend on it all..)

the only reason i would buy the new ps4 would be if it plays games e.g with improved loading times, for example the witcher 3 , the loading times of that game are horrid.

oh and one more thing, will it play the current ps4 games that we have in a possible better resolution..?

i would consider buying the new ps4 if it has clock speed improvements etc, otherwise i will stick to my current ps4.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Modular consoles go against the core principle of console hardware, which is Plug & Play. The moment you expect your usetbase to upgrade their system themselves is the moment when you lose them to PC gaming.
Consoles have begun to merge in as sort of hybrid PCs already, Xbox One runs a modified Windows 10 and mods have made their way to some console games. If a mass exodus from console to PC was going to happen, it would've happened already. I think modular consoles are a nice balance between ease of use and all the benefits of an open-hardware platform. People won't switch to PC because it's more complicated to build and maintain, but with a custom case, upgrading a modular console could be as simple as pressing an eject button and then inserting a cartridge-shaped component back into the existing slot.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Consoles have begun to merge in as sort of hybrid PCs already, Xbox One runs a modified Windows 10 and mods have made their way to some console games. If a mass exodus from console to PC was going to happen, it would've happened already. I think modular consoles are a nice balance between ease of use and all the benefits of an open-hardware platform. People won't switch to PC because it's more complicated to build and maintain, but with a custom case, upgrading a modular console could be as simple as pressing an eject button and then inserting a cartridge-shaped component back into the existing slot.
Consoles have always used hardware derrivative of mainstream computers, this generation is no exception.

As for "cartridge-like" components, I pondered that myself and it would be interesting provided the hardware would all still be unified under one banner and only differed in performance, not implemented technology.
guys, does anyone know whether the new ps4 will have upgraded processors?

i do not care much about the 4k media player ( i highly doubt that there will be any console anytime soon playing 4k Game content at 60fp LOL.. too early for that ) .

so i think the least we know is that it will be able to play 4k media yeah?

i do not care about that VR thing either (i know it looks cool and all, but i dont have the money to spend on it all..)

the only reason i would buy the new ps4 would be if it plays games e.g with improved loading times, for example the witcher 3 , the loading times of that game are horrid.

oh and one more thing, will it play the current ps4 games that we have in a possible better resolution..?

i would consider buying the new ps4 if it has clock speed improvements etc, otherwise i will stick to my current ps4.
If you want improved loading times, the CPU is not the bottleneck, the HDD is. Upgrade your PS4 to SSD, the difference is immense in most games. The new PS4 will have a higher clock and a faster memory throughput as well, which means additional gains due to faster RAM fill.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Consoles have always used hardware derrivative of mainstream computers, this generation is no exception.
True, but PCs and consoles have been functionally different for a long time. It's only within the last couple generations that console makers have recognized the PC offers so many more useful gaming features that need implementation on consoles.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
True, but PCs and consoles have been functionally different for a long time. It's only within the last couple generations that console makers have recognized the PC offers so many more useful gaming features that need implementation on consoles.
Only if you narrow down tge definition of PC to "IBM-Compatible PC". An Xbox 360 is essentially a Power Mac, an N64 is basically an SGI workstation, even an NES has a lot in common with a Commodore 64. Consoles have one thing going for them - they're customized for one particular purpose, and this is still true today. Both the PS4 and the Xbox One run on custom APU's - they're not off the shelf components. Anywho, I'm not offended by branded upgrade hardware - it worked for the 360's hard drive, it might work for other components too provided the procedure is idiot-proof, cost-effective and provides a worthy difference in tge experience. They could start selling "core" units and let users upgrade whichever components they want.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq

As for "cartridge-like" components, I pondered that myself and it would be interesting provided the hardware would all still be unified under one banner and only differed in performance, not implemented technology.
If you want improved loading times, the CPU is not the bottleneck, the HDD is. Upgrade your PS4 to SSD, the difference is immense in most games. The new PS4 will have a higher clock and a faster memory throughput as well, which means additional gains due to faster RAM fill.

yeah i am aware that ssd improve loading speeds, but they are too damn pricey xDD ..

and well.. it seems like i will be forced to upgrade then, speed difference alone will convince me.

i will have to sell my ps4 after the new one comes out i guess.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't expect the loading speed improvement to be huge - the memory bandwidth is increased by a mere few percent. Upgrading to SSD will cut down load times more significantly and you can grab one these days cheaply - just a few months ago I got a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo (aprox. 540MB/s read speed compared to PS4's stock 100MB/s) for around $95, and 500GB ones aren't that much more expensive.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: test what?