Sony confirms PlayStation Network hacked

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaxxster said:
Something must be seriously wrong if they had to take the whole network offline to rebuild it! Normally you would rebuild it and test it in a sandbox type enviroment and then switch over to the new service! How odd!?
I would speculate that whatever exploit the attack leveraged is inherent in the current system (ie. not fixable without the substantial rebuild they mention), and also easily replicable.

Unfortunate of course, but I'm sure they'll offer some kind of refund or voucher for the time lost.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Makes me feel proud of myself for playing online games strictly on the PC.
closedeyes.gif

Don't own a PS3/XBOX 360.
Never play Online on Wii.
PC ftw.

@ShadowSoldier - You are absolutely right on target lol, Sony themselves could be lying about this so that Sony fans don't flame Sony and in turn end up flaming some random unknown hackers. Sony lies to keep its commitment of fans intact. You lost my commitment 5 years back Sony!! I'll never buy anything Sony related after my PS2 Lol. (PSP was a gift so meh, doesn't count....right??...right?)

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Duskye said:
SamAsh07 said:
Makes me feel proud of myself for playing online games strictly on the PC.
closedeyes.gif

Don't own a PS3/XBOX 360.
Never play Online on Wii.
PC ftw.
Pc games get hacked too ya know.
Yeah but I'm strictly inclined to F2P MMOs, so what am I losing here?? Only the time I wasted playing the MMOs?? Lol time pass is time pass.

That too, MMOs with fake account details. I don't trust the Internet thats that.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
@ShadowSoldier - You are absolutely right on target lol, Sony themselves could be lying about this so that Sony fans don't flame Sony and in turn end up flaming some random unknown hackers. Sony lies to keep its commitment of fans intact.
Uh, no?

Falsifying information concerning a significant detriment of their platform would be blatantly illegal, and something an enormous multi-national conglomerate would not consider in almost any circumstance.

People will whine and whine about how they had to wait a week to play Portal 2 co-op, but very, very few of them will actually ditch the platform due to a temporary outage. Regardless of the cause.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
happy fucking easter everyone also here's a image of mr vice prez of sony enjoy.

jesus.jpg

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
Jamstruth said:
DarkLG said:
We went from a topic about sony's playstation network shit to laws about piracy? wtf lol I think Sony just fucked something up and their blaming hackers for it to make them look bad =p
Blatantly lying like this would not carry any favour. AOL once pulled this on us a few months ago. Our internet was out for a week and AOL refused to tell us why. AOL kept saying it must be our end as there were no line faults. This was crap, our router was completely fine. There were loads of other customers in my area having the same troubles. It was crap customer service. Basically: If they lie it will piss off a LOT of people. Also a fuck up wouldn't need an entire rebuild.

What I reckon happened is some incredibly hacking group decided to orchestrate a large hack of the PSN. In order to cause the most disruption (and therefore most fun) they coincided it with the EU release of Portal 2 when a large amount of users would require the service to activate their Steam copies. Its far too much of a coincidence that Sony would fuck up on Portal's release.

As for the 3rd party servers. If they do perform the switch then they'll get user consent through a EULA update you must agree to to use PSN.

Conspiracy Theorist much?

As far as I know, Sony has a track record of some lies. They're no more reputable than a hacking group.
Customer's wouldn't complain too much if it was buckling under Portal 2 pressure. Also if it was that it wouldn't be down for so long.
I'm not being a conspiracy theorist. I'm just saying some hacking group went out to cause some trouble on the Portal 2 release. Not exactly conspiratory. Its conspiratory to say that Sony are lying.

DJPlace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think people should stop hacking there god damn systems to begin with. there make us users suffer cause of this shit on wenesday my wii got corrpeted and it's a brick now. so this is a repayment for being loyal to sony?!? well fuck you fucking couch hackers just fuck your fucking couch in HELL!

EDIT: http://www.psu.com/PSN-hackers-attacked-Ad...-a011425-p0.php

yep it hackes mother fucking hackers we will not have psn back to tuesdays... man this is bullshit.

DJPlace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i gut warned on gamefaqs for posting that image. LOL man i'm not pissed at all i'm just laughing my fucking ass off HA HA HA HA HA!! maybe cause it's the holiday or something. and i know i'm going to hell for doing that... and i don't care L O FUCKING L.

RE4zombie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
"necessary to provide the system with additional security."

When I read that, I can't help but think that a lot of users personal information was at risk...
Sony has refused to tell whether or not credit card info was compromised. This is a clear indicator that some serious user info got pulled off their servers, and they just don't want to scare the consumers. I'm so glad I don't have a PSN account.

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RE4zombie said:
ShadowSoldier said:
"necessary to provide the system with additional security."

When I read that, I can't help but think that a lot of users personal information was at risk...
Sony has refused to tell whether or not credit card info was compromised. This is a clear indicator that some serious user info got pulled off their servers, and they just don't want to scare the consumers. I'm so glad I don't have a PSN account.
exactly, 1st thing i noticed.
they haven't stated if user information was not compromised

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gameking-4 said:
I hope they come with a master update which makes the PS3 non-hackable "again".

at least for a while...
I don't know if they can do that; The people that opened up the PS3 got keys that allow for signing things like homebrew to it.

If you changed those keys, every single game on the PS3 from today back to the day of its release would be rendered un-playable. At least, I think that's the case.

I could be horribly wrong.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Gameking-4 said:
I hope they come with a master update which makes the PS3 non-hackable "again".

at least for a while...
I don't know if they can do that; The people that opened up the PS3 got keys that allow for signing things like homebrew to it.

If you changed those keys, every single game on the PS3 from today back to the day of its release would be rendered un-playable. At least, I think that's the case.

I could be horribly wrong.
they have already changed the keys that was what 3.60 did
and added a black list and white list on top of that as well as changing the encryption method

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it