Sony celebrates the sale of 3 million PS VR units

psvr 3M.PNG

Launched in 2016, the Playstation 4's VR peripheral has reportedly sold over 3 million units to date according to a blog post today on Playstation Blog. Along with the PS VR, 21.9 million PS VR games and experiences have been sold with the top 10 most-played titles being the following:
  1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
  2. PlayStation VR Worlds
  3. Rec Room
  4. Resident Evil 7 biohazard
  5. The Playroom VR
  6. Job Simulator
  7. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  8. Batman: Arkham VR
  9. Farpoint
  10. Superhot VR
At the time of writing, the PS VR's catalog boasts nearly 340 games and experiences with titles like Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Blood & Truth, Déraciné and Firewall Zero Hour to hit the platform in the coming months.

To celebrate the milestone, Sony announced the launch date of two new games to enter the PS VR's growing lineup:

Creed: Rise To Glory September 25, 2018

creed.jpg

Jump into the ring with a premier VR boxing experience from Survios that puts you in the gloves of Adonis Creed on his journey from an underground amateur to a spotlight champion. Creed: Rise to Glory hits PlayStation VR September 25. Pre-orders begin today at 8am PT.

Evasion October 9, 2018

evasion.jpg

In Evasion, play as one of four unique hero classes within an elite special operations team charged with saving an embattled human colony. This intense, sci-fi first-person VR shooter from Archiact hits PlayStation VR October 9. Pre-orders begin today at 8am PT.

Are you among the 3 million PS VR owners? If so, what is your favorite game on the platform?

:arrow: SOURCE

Reactions: KingVamp and cyb0rg

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a PSVR that I won in a Taco Bell contest. Used it for a short while and sold it. Apart from the majority of "games" feeling more like tech demos than actual games, I couldn't deal with the horrible drifting. And yes, I tried all of the "fixes".

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
How odd that somehow people think 3 million is a small number for what is essentially an expensive, optional accessory with little justifiable content for it's price. That's an insane number for some $300 accessory with probably less than 50 worthwhile VR games to play, why anyone would call this a "failure" for all it's faults is beyond me.

As much as I'd like to get into VR and such, I just can't justify it for the price point it's currently at for a decent headset. Friend of mine has a Vive, and I've played around with it a bit, and while it's quite neat it's not $500+ neat, or even $300+ neat for the PSVR.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I bought mine recently from EB Games in Australia for only $210 AUD refurbished. So that's about $160 USD. I already had the camera and 2x move controllers from my PS3 and also bought a pre-owned copy of Farpoint WITH the motion control gun for $28 AUD total (usually $128 AUD for both).

I've since bought about 20 VR games from the current month's PSN sale for maybe a total of $200 AUD. Some are fun 10 minute ''party'' games.. others like Raw Data absolutely rock and rock hard. Skyrim VR is very, very nice.

I alsoe found out I can use the VR headset on my PC as well - but I haven't tested that out yet.

Last edited by gizmomelb,

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 million units in over two years? Is that really something worth celebrating?

Then again, I don't really know what the average for a VR unit is; sold units over a time period that is.
PSVR is the best selling VR headset (if we only count the Vive and Oculus Rift, and not mobile VR), so yeah. They're probably celebrating because they're in the lead.
I think @Tom Bombadildo said it best, so read his reply.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How odd that somehow people think 3 million is a small number for what is essentially an expensive, optional accessory with little justifiable content for it's price. That's an insane number for some $300 accessory with probably less than 50 worthwhile VR games to play, why anyone would call this a "failure" for all it's faults is beyond me.

As much as I'd like to get into VR and such, I just can't justify it for the price point it's currently at for a decent headset. Friend of mine has a Vive, and I've played around with it a bit, and while it's quite neat it's not $500+ neat, or even $300+ neat for the PSVR.

I think that's the problem though. It is a small number for 2 years of sales, despite the fact that it is an expensive optional accessory meant for devs to spend extra time developing for. Yet, with an install base like that compared to the overall PS4 install base, it must be a bit of a hard sale for devs to think they should waste time on the unit. The only way I can think for VR to really catch on in the way that they want it to, would be if they included a VR with every PS4 from the getgo and still somehow made the entire package an affordable one (yeah, I know, not remotely possible at this time), only then would we see the amount of quality VR experiences that would make a purchase of the VR unit truly intriguing and justifiable. (yes, I'm sure some people can justify it now so that they can play games like Skyrim and RE7 in a new way or the many many tech demos that have released, but I'm talking full AAA experiences made specifically for VR and only VR)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
alsoe found out I can use the VR headset on my PC as well - but I haven't tested that out yet.
I sometime see on TV that some researchers or medical group uses the PSVR headset on their computer to help people (phobia, PTSD, etc.)
that's always funny to see that they use sony's console accessory on private applications and for non gaming reasons. I always wonder how they found they could use it with their own applications.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I think that's the problem though. It is a small number for 2 years of sales, despite the fact that it is an expensive optional accessory meant for devs to spend extra time developing for. Yet, with an install base like that compared to the overall PS4 install base, it must be a bit of a hard sale for devs to think they should waste time on the unit. The only way I can think for VR to really catch on in the way that they want it to, would be if they included a VR with every PS4 from the getgo and still somehow made the entire package an affordable one (yeah, I know, not remotely possible at this time), only then would we see the amount of quality VR experiences that would make a purchase of the VR unit truly intriguing and justifiable. (yes, I'm sure some people can justify it now so that they can play games like Skyrim and RE7 in a new way or the many many tech demos that have released, but I'm talking full AAA experiences made specifically for VR and only VR)
Except it isn't, for "brand new" technology anyways. AFAIK, the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive haven't even hit a million sales yet for either device, despite being out for the same time frame and being much better products both specs wise and quality wise (despite the price differences). The only "modern" VR tech that beats out the PSVR at this point in sales is Samsung's Gear VR headsets, which has been out longer, are extremely basic, have a wider audience, and are substantially cheaper (and sometimes given away for "free" by carriers when you buy a new Samsung device). Compared to any other modern VR device, it's sold extremely well for only 2 years.

Reactions: Supster131

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except it isn't, for "brand new" technology anyways. AFAIK, the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive haven't even hit a million sales yet for either device, despite being out for the same time frame and being much better products both specs wise and quality wise (despite the price differences). The only "modern" VR tech that beats out the PSVR at this point in sales is Samsung's Gear VR headsets, which has been out longer, are extremely basic, have a wider audience, and are substantially cheaper (and sometimes given away for "free" by carriers when you buy a new Samsung device). Compared to any other modern VR device, it's sold extremely well for only 2 years.

I never said it was brand new technology or anything like that. Yes, it's selling well for VR units, but relativity means nothing in the big scheme of things, its selling poorly for an accessory that games need to be made or adapted specifically to, and that's the real headline (heck even the Kinect sold 8 million units in its first 60 days and that device still never really caught on and ultimately was laid to rest). Unless we see a real surge in sales somewhere, the best we'll ever get for VR experiences on the PS4 are gonna continue to be already released AAA games adapted to VR like Skyrim and RE7, sure those are fun enough, but they aren't setting the world on fire, and are just as playable without a $300 accessory.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol.

Part of me wants a PSVR, but not a £299 part of me.

3 million... that’s not a large number really.

They’ve been on discount over the last year for around £200 with games

I got mine a few months back using various discounts/offers.

At full price its not worth it though.

I wonder how many of that 3 million was because of these sales?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am still not convinced that VR is the future.
VR was the past !

it was something we dreamed of back in 90's
It was the beginning, and I tried it at that time, it looked like it was the future when you lived in 90's. but it was very simple graphics monochrome graphics (much like virtualboy), with heavy and wired head set and magnetic gun to detect your position around a cage.
I think at that time, it was an awesome experience and something we all wanted (thanks to the Lawnmower Man movie).

the VR as we have it now has been too long to come and we forgot that we wanted it. Other technology (phones, consoles, etc.) has evolved in a way that VR is not what we expect to achieve anymore. it's there, we have it, we also have a lot of other things.
to me VR is more nostalgic than future. 90's nostalgia!
it can be the future if it's more immersive, free movement and it fixes nausea.

Last edited by Cyan,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSVR is a $300 Add ON

So was the Sega CD, and at least Sega CD had a few games I wanted to play (Lunar, Shining Force, Eternal Champions, even friggin Sonic CD, heaven help me) number of games I want to play on VR are infinitesimal in comparison, and most I'd rather just play on TV anyway. But hey Sega Cd never quite hit 3mil sales, so um.. congrats, I guess?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So was the Sega CD, and at least Sega CD had a few games I wanted to play (Lunar, Shining Force, Eternal Champions, even friggin Sonic CD, heaven help me) number of games I want to play on VR are infinitesimal in comparison, and most I'd rather just play on TV anyway. But hey Sega Cd never quite hit 3mil sales, so um.. congrats, I guess?
True, it only sold 2.24mil in a time where video games weren't as popular, for a main console that had less than half the install base as the PS4, quite a failure.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People are forgetting that the PSVR is an (expensive) peripheral, not a system in and out of itself. As far as accessories go, it's doing exceptionally well, it's leagues ahead of the Oculus and Vive in terms of sales. VR is still in its early days and Sony made the right choice when they designed the PSVR as a budget entry-level headset.

Reactions: Supster131

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are forgetting that the PSVR is an (expensive) peripheral, not a system in and out of itself. As far as accessories go, it's doing exceptionally well, it's leagues ahead of the Oculus and Vive in terms of sales. VR is still in its early days and Sony made the right choice when they designed the PSVR as a budget entry-level headset.

Again though, its not about how its doing relatively to other VR units, because sure, it's doing well compared to the competition of other VR units (but so what? Extreme example: If there were businesses that literally only sold actual human shit, one of them would have to be the top dog in terms of selling the most shit, but being on top of that market doesn't mean that your business would be doing great just because you're selling better than the competition). But the ultimate point is that VR as a whole is not exactly doing gangbusters at the moment. What developer is going to focus solely on a VR game for an install base of 3 million users, when if they develop just for the PS4 they have an install base of nearly 80 million users to reach out to? The only ones I can think of are going to be those that are truly passionate about getting their game out in VR. Which, right now anyway, is going to largely be smaller and indie devs, as the AAA developers will continue to chase money and not so much focus on passion projects. Otherwise, what few AAA games you'll see will continue to just be ports of games already playable without VR. 3 million VR units in 2 years is OK, but again, look at the Kinect, it sold 8 million units in its first 60 days, and it was still ultimately deemed a failure by the gaming scene as a whole, I mean I sure don't know anyone that regularly plays any Kinect games anymore, and that was with an install base of about 24 million units when all was said and done.

I think a decade or later from now, VR might finally be up to the task of standing up for itself, but as it stands now, it will continue to be a niche market filled with releases that are mostly comparable to tech demos with a few AAA ports, and yes, the very rare occasional gem here and there. Frankly I find all of that to be a pretty hard sell for $300 on top of having to own a PS4 at that.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: Cyan

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
Those of you asking for a wireless model, would you really like to have a device with a big lithium battery (which are flamable/may explode) mounted that close to your eyes/face?

I don't think cables are going away anywhere anytime soon...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1