Sony: Being cheaper than your competitor is never a bad thing.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Xbone launch lineup is stronger, and the controller is miles ahead.
If the xbone would ditch Kinect they'd be ahead of the PS4.

But it really doesn't matter to me either way. I'm still on the fence, only reason I'd get a PS4 is for future RPGs. But I might as well wait until those future RPGs actually exist.
But in general I've always preferred my 360, and get any games I can for it instead of my PS3.
Neither console is particularly appealing at the moment though.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Xbone launch lineup is stronger, and the controller is miles ahead.
If the xbone would ditch Kinect they'd be ahead of the PS4.

But it really doesn't matter to me either way. I'm still on the fence, only reason I'd get a PS4 is for future RPGs. But I might as well wait until those future RPGs actually exist.
But in general I've always preferred my 360, and get any games I can for it instead of my PS3.
Neither console is particularly appealing at the moment though.

And lowered the price. And revised the deal with Xbox Live. And get a competent customer support team...

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And lowered the price. And revised the deal with Xbox Live. And get a competent customer support team...

Removing Kinect = lowering price.
Unless Sony revises how they handle their online service, Xbox Live will still be well worth the pennies a year you pay for it.
Sony has horrible customer service as well. The xbox team replies pretty fast, even if its useless fodder. But the few times I've contacted Sony support it took upwards of a week and they didn't do jack shit to help.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unless Sony revises how they handle their online service, Xbox Live will still be well worth the pennies a year you pay for it.
Sony has horrible customer service as well. The xbox team replies pretty fast, even if its useless fodder. But the few times I've contacted Sony support it took upwards of a week and they didn't do jack shit to help.

How does Sony need to revise their online service? Hell, how the hell is Xbox Live worth the cash compared to PSN? You're delusional.

Reactions: Foxi4

OldClassicGamer

Serbian Prinny
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Most GBAtemp members are realistic about what they expect from Nintendo this generation, and recognize that their first party games don't actually sell that many systems. A select few members seem to defy this on blind faith that Nintendo will pull another system with the success of the Wii from their ass. Needless to say, said people tend to cry when people are realistic about the standing of the Wii U at this point in time and claim that everybody is against Nintendo. If you check around a bit, you'll notice it's primarily the same three or four people time and time again getting their jimmies rustled whenever someone says a negative word in regards to the Wii U.

I think Wii U has much better chance then it did at the launch. Anyways, I am mostly neutral about this situation, and I just pointed out that many good games were presented at Nintendo Direct.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Many good games are comming out for Wii U. What are you talking about?

I think it's called a "mirage" - kinda like with thirsty people seeing water fountains in the desert... :unsure:
I totally prefer to not get free content for all of my Sony platforms monthly, triple-A games included. :rolleyes: Sure, Microsoft introduced a similar program... except their offering is infinitely worse.

Reactions: Rydian

Crimson Ghoul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By increasing console sales, you raise the potential software sales. This makes devs a bit more hopeful when choosing to design a game for a specific platform. Except in the case of the PSP which sold well but was hacked too early on

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
By increasing console sales, you raise the potential software sales. This makes devs a bit more hopeful when choosing to design a game for a specific platform. Except in the case of the PSP which sold well but was hacked too early on
Let's not get hacking into the mix - it hardly ever substantially affects sales of software - the Wii is a good example.

The Wii is hacked from cover to cover and only 3,1 million users have installed Homebrew Channel. Even if we risk the assumption that 1 million users installed modchips, that's still just 4,1 million users from the total pool of 100+ million shipped units, no more than 4,1% of all users, and not all of them even pirate - some just want homebrew.

Crimson Ghoul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's not get hacking into the mix - it hardly ever substantially affects sales - the Wii is a good example.

The Wii is hacked from cover to cover and only 3,4 million users have installed Homebrew Channel. Even if we risk the assumption that 1 million users installed modchips, that's still just 4,4 million users from the total pool of 100+ million shipped units, no more than 4,4% of all users, and not all of them even pirate - some just want homebrew.

With the wii, it was much more difficult to play back up games. With the psp you just popped on onto your pro duo and off you went.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
With the wii, it was much more difficult to play back up games. With the psp you just popped on onto your pro duo and off you went.
What? You could play burned backups on the first batch of Wii, then you could load from USB or SD cards - how is that "hard"? The Wii is idiot-proof and very efficient at playing backups.

Not only that - playing backups on the PSP used to be a huge bother on any model above the first revision of PSP-2000 - people had to bother with HEN's and whatnot, some models didn't even have CFW's until lately (6.20 took forever to crack on the PSP Go) so I don't think your facts are 100% straight.

Crimson Ghoul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? You could play burned backups on the first batch of Wii, then you could load from USB or SD cards - how is that "hard"? The Wii is idiot-proof and very efficient at playing backups.

Because you can actually brick the wii. You can't brick as psp. All you needed was a pandora battery.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because you can actually brick the wii. You can't brick as psp. All you needed was a pandora battery.
Good luck using a Pandora battery on anything newer than the first revision of the PSP-2000. All of the motherboards beyond that point are not Pandora-Compatible and you can brick them if you're not careful - beyond the point of recovery. The PSP Go and the PSP E-1000 don't even have a replaceable battery, at least not without disassembling the consoles (and voiding the warranty in the process). Check your facts, check my edit above as well.

Reactions: Rydian

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
... assuming you had a 1000 or an early 2000. The later 2000 and any 3000, Go, or Street cannot pandora.

Piracy doesn't kill systems. The PS3, 360, Wii, DS, and more are pirated on daily and they didn't die from it.

Reactions: Foxi4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How does Sony need to revise their online service? Hell, how the hell is Xbox Live worth the cash compared to PSN? You're delusional.

Though I agree their PSN+/free game implementation and not hosing up the already paid services/things that clearly do not need a paid service by tying them to the paid service is as crippling to the XBL is better debate as a proverbial kick in the nuts we do have to remember PSN has more or less still gone paid for this upcoming go around.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Though I agree their PSN+/free game implementation and not hosing up the already paid services/things that clearly do not need a paid service by tying them to the paid service is as crippling to the XBL is better debate as a proverbial kick in the nuts we do have to remember PSN has more or less still gone paid for this upcoming go around.
They've only "gone paid" on the PS4 - current PSVita, PSP and PS3 owners will continue to enjoy PSN for free if they don't feel like paying for Plus.

Moreover, the Instant Game Collection program of Plus encompasses the PS4 wheras, as far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), Microsoft's poor attempt at a similar service doesn't take the XBox One into account.

That, and the fee only concerns online Multiplayer - you can still use online features of the console itself such as the browser, Youtube client or Netflix free of charge unlike on Microsoft's systems on which you require a Gold subscription to even get your system online at all and that's inexcusable - applications which do not use Microsoft's servers should "just work", paying for the "debatable pleasure" of using Internet Explorer is ridiculous.

In other words, although you'll have to pay for Multiplayer on the PS4 (and the PS4 only), yes, but you get a good value package by receiving monthly games for all of your Sony systems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn