Sony backtracks on Horizon Forbidden West PS4 upgrade details, will offer free upgrade to PS5

sdaasadsa.png

Earlier this week, PlayStation revealed its pre-order information for its upcoming release of Horizon Forbidden West, detailing that those who purchase the game on PlayStation 4 would be stuck with that version of the game, and entirely unable to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 release later down the line without re-buying the game all over again for the new platform. In the past, PlayStation has offered upgrade plans for "next-gen" PS5 releases, making Horizon Forbidden West's odd method stand out. However, after fans were upset at this announcement, Sony backtracked and made a u-turn, amending their original post to explain that they've decided to allow those who purchase the game on PS4 to upgrade to the PS5 version of the game for free.

Also added in the update was that going forward, PlayStation-developed titles that have cross-generation releases will simply allow players to go from purchasing PS4 versions to the improved PS5 release later down the road for a $10 charge. This plan applies to their future first-party lineup, including the upcoming new God of War game and Gran Turismo 7.

Last year we made a commitment to deliver free upgrades for our cross-gen launch titles, which included Horizon Forbidden West. While the pandemic’s profound impact pushed Forbidden West out of the launch window we initially envisioned, we will stand by our offer: Players who purchase Horizon Forbidden West on PlayStation 4 will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for free.
I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

:arrow: Source

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I don't get the appeal of the PS5 anymore. Sure, it's probably a great console, but Sony aren't making very customer-friendly decisions unless they receive backlash from media and their community. They've also pretty much left the Japanese market when it comes to their studio games, they neglected their deals with indie studios, they changed their market to only consider western appeal in "blockbuster titles" that try to be more like Hollywood films. Who really wants to deal with that?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No generation took this long, that's a fact. While we still not a whole year in yet, everything for 2022 is already multigenerational.
I remember otherwise. Destiny, GTAV, and Persona 5 being a few examples. My point was that if you just want to play the games despite their performance, there is no rush. If you are going to assert "facts" then it'd be helpful to establish an objective metric.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you cant even upgrade the game if you got it from PSN + for free. This is why Xbox just provides a better service, b/c no matter how you own a game it will be upgraded based on the system no extra payments or gimmicks required

Reactions: Cortador

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so a free upgrade to a console no one can get :rofl2:

Funny how I've managed to get several a piece of Series X, PS5 disc, and PS5 digital. Also funny considering there are 8 million PS5's out there and 6 million Xbox's. "No one can get"? Not even close. There are more PS5s out there than there were PS2s in the same time frame.

Personally, I don't get the appeal of the PS5 anymore. Sure, it's probably a great console, but Sony aren't making very customer-friendly decisions unless they receive backlash from media and their community. They've also pretty much left the Japanese market when it comes to their studio games, they neglected their deals with indie studios, they changed their market to only consider western appeal in "blockbuster titles" that try to be more like Hollywood films. Who really wants to deal with that?

Me and 8 some million other PS5 owners. ;)

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,
Reactions: tabzer

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you cant even upgrade the game if you got it from PSN + for free. This is why Xbox just provides a better service, b/c no matter how you own a game it will be upgraded based on the system no extra payments or gimmicks required

“Smart Delivery” at its best.

I think there was only one game (Aside from EA sports games) that tried to pull this stuff about paid upgrade and it was Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2. It ended up receiving a lot of flak for it though.

Reactions: MasterJ360

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny how I've managed to get several a piece of Series X, PS5 disc, and PS5 digital. Also funny considering there are 8 million PS5's out there and 6 million Xbox's. "No one can get"? Not even close. There are more PS5s out there than there were PS2s in the same time frame.
Majority of those ps5's were bought by scalpers. No one is going to pay $1k+ for one. I had to get mine from Ebay at $900 tax inc.
But the Series X is abit affordable. The interesting part about local retails is that they wont even mention they have any even when they do lol. I work at Target and they literally hide them in the back room until someone comes for one which pissed me off

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Majority of those ps5's were bought by scalpers. No one is going to pay $1k+ for one. I had to get mine from Ebay at $900 tax inc.
But the Series X is abit affordable. The interesting part about local retails is that they wont even mention they have any even when they do lol. I work at Target and they literally hide them in the back room until someone comes for one which pissed me off

You can say that the majority were bought by scalpers, but they aren't sitting in scalpers closets collecting dust, at al. They are being sold like hotcakes to people who actually want them. So yeah, there are approximately 8 million PS5's out there.

The ones in the back of Target are for the online orders. Buy online only, pick up in store only. If you work there, you should already know the drill. If you paid $900, imo you over paid. I'm in a small MN farming town and see them being sold all around me for $650 digital & $750 disc (give or take). Hope the $900 was at least for a disc version. :)

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can say that the majority were bought by scalpers, but they aren't sitting in scalpers closets collecting dust, at al. They are being sold like hotcakes to people who actually want them. So yeah, there are approximately 8 million PS5's out there.

The ones in the back of Target are for the online orders. Buy online only, pick up in store only. If you work there, you should already know the drill. If you paid $900, imo you over paid. I'm in a small MN farming town and see them being sold all around me for $650 digital & $750 disc (give or take). Hope the $900 was at least for a disc version. :)
Buy online only, pick up in store only. If you work there, you should already know the drill. If you paid $900, imo you over paid.
This line of text is the main reason I had to buy the (disc) model from a scalper..... I work 40 hours a week I don't even have time to camp over websites clicking the refresh button for orders. Ive done that 4 times last year before I gave up b/c the damn scalper bots kept buying them all. Yes I work at Target, but incase you didn't know they cannot reserve anything for their employees its against our policy. So imagine working in the delivery truck only seeing these consoles being reserved for online orders the moment they come in....

You are right tho they are selling like hot cakes, but from scalpers, online orders in 2020 were impossible b/c the bots froze the order page. By the time you could click the buy button they were sold out. I overpaid, but did I have a choice? You either had pre order a ps5 or be one of the lucky ones who have friends or connections to get a ps5 at retail price. Also I live in a city the comparison of a small farm town is extremely huge since the demand here is more likely bigger.

Last edited by MasterJ360,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To be honest you all make me feel way too lucky to have been able to get the PS5 day one just from preordering it on amazon at retail price back in September 2020...

But, well... anyway there are not many interesting nextgen games up to now, tbh I've played R&C rift apart and the improved PS4 BC game... and now near to on-topic the first Horizon is way more enjoyable at 60 fps.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest you all make me feel way too lucky to have been able to get the PS5 day one just from preordering it on amazon at retail price back in September 2020...

But, well... anyway there are not many interesting nextgen games up to now, tbh I've played R&C rift apart and the improved PS4 BC game... and now near to on-topic the first Horizon is way more enjoyable at 60 fps.
I'd say the ppl who pre ordered were the smartest of the bunch. I could have myself when Gamestop announced pre orders last Oct, I called them to do so, but they informed me I would be placed #403 in the line of orders. I stupidly denied the wait, little did I know the demand would be insanely high for the next 3 years to come lol.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
were they doing something like this to FF 7 remake but it's only the YUFFIE DLC?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
were they doing something like this to FF 7 remake but it's only the YUFFIE DLC?
Sorta. The DLC is exclusive to ps5 mainly b/c it developed for ps5, but made the ps5 upgrade free for FF7 R owners on the same day of its release which was planned months b4.
Horizon's upgrade is more of an apology due to the push back date of its sequel.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Bought for friends who were too busy
This is what I do when there's a local restock of items. The joys of living in a technologically illiterate town.

On Topic: Also, this "backpedaling" isn't even that. They just changed the rules. It's a one-off freebie, with an "announcement" that they're still going to charge for upgrades. I don't care if you like Sony's games, but their business policies aren't very consumer friendly.

Last edited by Kioku,

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sucks about the YUFFIE DLC on PS5 but still this is good that there still caring

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

“Smart Delivery” at its best.

I think there was only one game (Aside from EA sports games) that tried to pull this stuff about paid upgrade and it was Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2. It ended up receiving a lot of flak for it though.

Stop spreading fake news. Take Madden 22 for just one example. Buying the standard edition of the game does not allow you to upgrade from Xbox One to Series X|S. In order to get dual entitlement you have to buy either the $100 MVP edition or the $120 Dynasty edition. No extra $ or gimmicks you say?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop spreading fake news. Take Madden 22 for just one example. Buying the standard edition of the game does not allow you to upgrade from Xbox One to Series X|S. In order to get dual entitlement you have to buy either the $100 MVP edition or the $120 Dynasty edition. No extra $ or gimmicks you say?
I dont play sport games I could care less tbh b/c by default they are already a ripoff your paying $60-$70 for an updated roster...
And thats before you pay the so called extra gimmick by (EA)

Reactions: SANIC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: