Sony backtracks on Horizon Forbidden West PS4 upgrade details, will offer free upgrade to PS5

sdaasadsa.png

Earlier this week, PlayStation revealed its pre-order information for its upcoming release of Horizon Forbidden West, detailing that those who purchase the game on PlayStation 4 would be stuck with that version of the game, and entirely unable to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 release later down the line without re-buying the game all over again for the new platform. In the past, PlayStation has offered upgrade plans for "next-gen" PS5 releases, making Horizon Forbidden West's odd method stand out. However, after fans were upset at this announcement, Sony backtracked and made a u-turn, amending their original post to explain that they've decided to allow those who purchase the game on PS4 to upgrade to the PS5 version of the game for free.

Also added in the update was that going forward, PlayStation-developed titles that have cross-generation releases will simply allow players to go from purchasing PS4 versions to the improved PS5 release later down the road for a $10 charge. This plan applies to their future first-party lineup, including the upcoming new God of War game and Gran Turismo 7.

Last year we made a commitment to deliver free upgrades for our cross-gen launch titles, which included Horizon Forbidden West. While the pandemic’s profound impact pushed Forbidden West out of the launch window we initially envisioned, we will stand by our offer: Players who purchase Horizon Forbidden West on PlayStation 4 will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for free.
I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I didn't realize this game was coming to PS4 at all. Seems a waste of effort to continue supporting hardware with 1/10th the power, you end up scaling back the graphics massively and still get dips into the 15-20 FPS range. Then again I suppose 12+ million PS5s in the wild isn't enough to satiate the masses yet, what with PS4 hitting that 100+ million mark so long ago.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont play sport games I could care less tbh b/c by default they are already a ripoff your paying $60-$70 for an updated roster...
And thats before you pay the so called extra gimmick by (EA)

The kind of game it is is completely irrelevant. You were 100% trying to make it as if paying or gimmicks for upgrades is only a shitty thing that exists on PlayStation but not on Xbox. Which is not true and is misleading.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't it supposed to be a free upgrade in the first place? Don't have the link to the blog, but from I recall, they said many games within the launch window of the PS5, including HFW, would get free upgrades. But after a year of nothing and the game getting pushed back into 2022, no longer being within the launch window, they then said there was no upgrade. Hence the outrage by the community and now Sony is being apologetic because they "now" recall saying it was meant to be free.

Reactions: Xzi

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The kind of game it is is completely irrelevant. You were 100% trying to make it as if paying or gimmicks for upgrades is only a shitty thing that exists on PlayStation but not on Xbox. Which is not true and is misleading.
Sony= Pay for all ps5 upgrades unless given free or if you bought the ps5 version
Microsoft= Pay certain titles for X enhance upgrade while the majority of the library is free with smart delivery
I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, but Sony is more on the gimmicky side here. If I wanted to add more salt to the womb with a Gamepass subscription from Microsoft you still get to enjoy new games for free in their upgraded state if they have smart delivery X enhance on the fly
I have both consoles I gain nothing from being misleading. Dissect that however you want, but this is more detailed than what I said a page earlier.

Last edited by MasterJ360,
Reactions: 64bitmodels

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why as paying customers we should always speak up when companies make anti consumer choices. Public pressure and news coverage are the best weapons to use against them.

Unless of course they're Nintendo who simply don't give a fuck.
And neither do the Nintendrones.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is the best example that complaining really works and that if something is bad, fans should complain so that the company will change.

I just wanted Nintendo fans to do that with Nintendo, whenever they do something bad it seems like people just accept it.
More like they're awfully divided if you see the YouTube comments: between those who actually have standards, and literal children who are too spoiled to understand the value of a dollar and are too intolerant to take criticism.

Last edited by MushGuy,
Reactions: shaunj66

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted Nintendo fans to do that with Nintendo, whenever they do something bad it seems like people just accept it.
Nintendo's target audience is children and teens, and they hold that audience well, thus they don't really have to give a damn about what critical adults think. Also they haven't had any proper competition for Switch, up until Steam Deck at least. A lot of us will undoubtedly jump ship for that, and not come back even for a 'Switch 2.'

Last edited by Xzi,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
those sheeple just do as they are told oh nintendo can't do no wrong even though they are clearly worse than apple now. They just keep re-releasing the same shit over and over charging more each time and DMCA anyone at the drop of a hat. Sound familiar? :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Ayumishiro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@k7ra hello I am French I do not know this site but I need you for something can you contact me as soon as possible this is very important and if possible on another social network

@k7ra hello I am French I do not know this site but I need you for something can you contact me as soon as possible this is very important and if possible on another social network
@k7ra Because the subject of my message does not please the moderator

@k7ra bonjour je suis français je ne connais pas ce site mais j'ai besoin de vous pour quelque chose pouvez vous me contacter au plus vite c'est très important et si possible sur un autre réseau social

@k7ra Parce que le sujet de mon message ne plaît pas au modérateur
@k7ra I really really need you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Syl