Sony backtracks on Horizon Forbidden West PS4 upgrade details, will offer free upgrade to PS5

sdaasadsa.png

Earlier this week, PlayStation revealed its pre-order information for its upcoming release of Horizon Forbidden West, detailing that those who purchase the game on PlayStation 4 would be stuck with that version of the game, and entirely unable to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 release later down the line without re-buying the game all over again for the new platform. In the past, PlayStation has offered upgrade plans for "next-gen" PS5 releases, making Horizon Forbidden West's odd method stand out. However, after fans were upset at this announcement, Sony backtracked and made a u-turn, amending their original post to explain that they've decided to allow those who purchase the game on PS4 to upgrade to the PS5 version of the game for free.

Also added in the update was that going forward, PlayStation-developed titles that have cross-generation releases will simply allow players to go from purchasing PS4 versions to the improved PS5 release later down the road for a $10 charge. This plan applies to their future first-party lineup, including the upcoming new God of War game and Gran Turismo 7.

Last year we made a commitment to deliver free upgrades for our cross-gen launch titles, which included Horizon Forbidden West. While the pandemic’s profound impact pushed Forbidden West out of the launch window we initially envisioned, we will stand by our offer: Players who purchase Horizon Forbidden West on PlayStation 4 will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for free.
I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

:arrow: Source

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
what I've read is that you need the "Digital Deluxe, Collector’s, or Regalla Editions" to have PS5 version, if you get the "normal" version, it'll be PS4 only.
Also, PS5 game being 10$ more than PS4... you need to pay the PS5 price if you want the PS5 version.
You had to get the "deluxe edition" 20$ more than the normal on PS4 to get dual version.

That's what I've read yesterday, not sure my information are up to date today.
If now they allow the players who bought the "normal" version to get the PS5 version for free, that's great :)

edit:
no, I'm right :
For players looking to have access to both the PS4 & PS5 versions of Horizon Forbidden West, please purchase the Digital Deluxe, Collector’s, or Regalla Editions. Dual entitlement does not apply to the standard and Special Editions.
Can I upgrade my Standard Edition to the Digital Deluxe edition of Horizon Forbidden West?
> There are no plans for an update offer from Standard to Digital Deluxe Edition at this time.
you need to buy a version at "PS5 price" if you want cross-gen...
So, the "deluxe edition" is 20$ more, which means 10$ more than if you buy the PS5 normal version.

Standard or special PS4 = PS4 only
Standard or special PS5 = PS5 only
Deluxe PS4 = you get FREE upgrade for PS5 version.... (you bought it 20$, it's not free)

what makes me laugh, is the mega regalla pack at more than 270$ with steal (pun intended) book and ..... no game disc :rofl2:
looks like they are really short on money, they need to feed their family, they can't afford to include a 2$ disc (272$ would definitely not sell well), if you want a disc to put in your case, please, buy anoter retail game at 80$.... please, pay again, we need every cents/penny/whatever your country !

Last edited by Cyan,

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the fact that they even went back on their word in the first place just lets you know how brutally fucked up sony is. they will happily lie to your face and it's going to take your outcry to get them to do whatever you want them to do. If they pull something like this again cry as loud as you can about it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Only you could bitch about something that's free.
not free if you can't get the system that it's free on besides giving out 900 dollars for it
also bladexdsl gets free games all the time through THAT METHOD, this is legitimately nothing special to him

Last edited by 64bitmodels,

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
So if they keep their word, one could easily build two separate game collections, a Ps4 And an upgraded Ps5 games collection, sweet I'd say.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I've read that since this is now the case, you can just buy the $60 PS4 version and get it upgraded for free, saving you $10.

Not sure if you'll be missing out on additional content that somehow the full price purchase might get you though, but maybe it's really a $10 deal for Sony to kinda apologize.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If Sony just promised a free upgrade from the beginning, they would have missed out on all this cheap publicity. The gamers have become the game.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I am starting to believe that is a stale meme, a PS5 doesn't seem that hard to get anymore I think.
In Brazil you can get easily online, I mean, 24h delivery and all that stuff.

The price still is still around 900~1000USD tho (varies with the exchange rate).

I am really interested in this generation but I am very annoyed by the lack of exclusives. I don't want to buy a console that play the same games as PC and a PS4 (at least not at this price).

Last edited by Deleted member 194275,
Reactions: k7ra

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In Brazil you can get easily online, I mean, 24h delivery and all that stuff.

The price still is still around 900~1000USD tho (varies with the exchange rate).

I am really interested in this generation but I am very annoyed by the lack of exclusives. I don't want to buy a console that play the same games as PC and a PS4 (at least not at this price).

It's still very young, lol. Every generation takes a year or two before they start having their own library. Every time there is a new PS they are releasing the same game for both generations, until the older one is phased out.

My brother and I both got one for MSRP. Don't bother following the hype and pay more than that. You can wait until its inevitable $100 price reduction and still be grateful.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
It's still very young, lol. Every generation takes a year or two before they start having their own library. Every time there is a new PS they are releasing the same game for both generations, until the older one is phased out.

My brother and I both got one for MSRP. Don't bother following the hype and pay more than that. You can wait until its inevitable $100 price reduction and still be grateful.
No generation took this long, that's a fact. While we still not a whole year in yet, everything for 2022 is already multigenerational.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night