Sony asks you kindly to delete the PSM Dev App from your Vita

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by WiiUBricker, Jun 24, 2015.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    The PSM Development Assistent App is the only gateway to native Vita homebrew, exploited by @yifan_lu. Sony knows that, so they posted a new update on the PSM website, alerting users that a "software issue" was found in the app and kindly asking you to stop using and delete the PSM Dev App. If you don't do it, they will nuke your Dev App by forcing you to update to the newly released firmware 3.52.

Dear PlayStation Mobile content developer

A software issue was found in PSM Development Assistant/ PSM Development Assistant for Unity applications.

For those developers using PSM Development Assistant/ PSM Development Assistant for Unity, we kindly ask you to stop using the application and delete it from your PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita).

Please be aware that PS Vita system software update 3.52, scheduled to be released on June 24, will revoke the applications, and users will no longer be able to use it.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

As scheduled, content updates are accepted until July 15, 2015.

I am happy to delete my Dev App, but only because Sony asked me kindly :tpi:

:arrow: Source: Yufi hacker dude's twitter, PSM Website

2. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    Honestly Sony, your best bet for Vita sales would be to just turn a blind eye to these exploits. Nobody is going to buy a Vita nowadays unless the next big exploits out. Look at it like this, I bought a psp solely for homebrew but ended up buying about 10 psp games.

3. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Sony Fail, everyone knows that to get people to do stuff, you need to start every sentence with a "Would you kindly".

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  4. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Sony still cares about the Vita? That's news.

SuzieJoeBob and nxwing like this.
  5. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Sony just cares about potentially not leeching every last possible cent out of a system they make zero effort to support.

6. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I've recently became interested in acquiring a PS Vita to play PSP games on the TV since the price has decreased but I'll keep on waiting till it drops more. I already own the games so I won't pay for them via the PS Store instead, just use backups.

7. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    how can i put this kindly.

to sum it up.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

8. Chris_Highwind

Chris_Highwind GBAtemp Fan

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Mooresville, NC
    Sorry, Sony, I intend to use my Vita for something other than a dust collector, so I'm afraid I can't stop using PSM. Please understand.

9. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Why not just get a PSP that has TV out? They do exist. Unless you also want to play Vita games, then please, at least get a TV, but if all you want to do is PSP stuff, a PSP costs about as much as a Vita TV and is usable as both a handheld and a TV out device, so....yeah.

10. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I'm a home console gamer and so I prefer to play it all on the TV rather than a small screen, y'know, PSP had a great library of games which was underappreciated by most as they didn't support it due to how easy it was to get 'em for free.

This looks fantastic for its purpose but too bad the UMD Passport isn't available so piracy outta do it.

11. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    You are drunk Sony, go home.

12. CleanSweep

CleanSweep Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2014
    United States
    Central Florida
    A PS TV sounds like it would be the best fit for your use case, especially if PPSSPP got ported thanks to the PSM hack, since PPSSPP is better than the native emulator in every way except for PSN download compatibility.

13. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Except that the PSM hack is tethered and thus will not work on the Vita TV as it has no USB port.

14. [Alt][F4]

[Alt][F4] Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2014
    Canada
    hmm I have the PSM Dev App installed like a year ago on vita and requested the licence, but not till today did I bother to check on whether I got the licence, and it looks I got approved when I visited the site just now. Do I need to generate "Publisher Key" and "Application Key" with PSM Publishing Utility for the hack?

15. CleanSweep

CleanSweep Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2014
    United States
    Central Florida
    Apparently the Unity version can also be used for Rejuvenate and there's some sort of filesystem write trick that apparently works on both systems.

mech likes this.
  16. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Sorry Sony. I kindly ask you to wish in one hand, and **** in the other, as no one will remove the PSM App, because they would like to finally get Homebrew on this Device. It has been a long time coming, and if you do not like it, kindly refer to my request. LOL