Sony apologises for GTA V story leak.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Earlier on it came to pass that the hotly anticipated GTA 5 had its ending leaked. Sony has now issued an apology on the matter as it seems its prelaunch download service was the source of the leak.

bbc said:
Sony has issued an apology to developer Rockstar after audio from forthcoming title Grand Theft Auto 5 was leaked online.
Customers who had pre-ordered the eagerly awaited game were allowed to download a "locked" version ahead of the game's release.
But some people were able to extract audio from the game - details of which were posted on forums.
Rockstar said it was "deeply disappointed" by the leaks.
"Unfortunately some people who downloaded the digital pre-order of Grand Theft Auto 5 through the PlayStation Store in Europe were able to access certain GTA5 assets leading to leaked information and media from the game appearing online.
"As you can imagine, we are deeply disappointed by leaks and spoilers being spread in advance of the game's launch.
"GTA5 represents years of hard work by many people across the world, and we all couldn't be more excited to finally share it with you properly this 17 September
Source : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23848851

Nice going, Sony. Now I have to leave the internet for a few months :angry::cry:

mon0

XPLOiTS FTW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hehe...

Why even allow the download of a locked version prior to its release?
Ofcourse people are horney when they can get their fingaz on such stuff..

No surprise there.

Reactions: joshuatm

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hehe...

Why even allow the download of a locked version prior to its release?
Ofcourse people are horney when they can get their fingaz on such stuff..

No surprise there.
So that players can play at the date of release instead of having to wait endlessly for the download to complete AND to prevent massive server overload on release. It's a win-win situation if done properly.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not like the game was cracked already.
Rockstar can't possibly believe their story is even worth spoiling....I refuse to believe they're that ignorant. S'all about the gameplay for GTA.

mon0

XPLOiTS FTW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea but its clear upfront that shit hits the fan.
Specially for games like gta with its huge community...

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm no Sony fan, but Sony did nothing wrong this time.
They did this in order to save bandwith for when it gets released, so that everybody at midnight on release day could play it.
It's the GTA modders who extracted data and endings that leaked it and it's the end user his OWN fault for actively searching for it and complaining about it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm no Sony fan, but Sony did nothing wrong this time.
They did this in order to save bandwith for when it gets released, so that everybody at midnight on release day could play it.
It's the GTA modders who extracted data and endings that leaked it and it's the end user his OWN fault for actively searching for it and complaining about it.
If they were just able to decrypt the data the security was pretty sucky though, and that's Sony's fault. It seems rather easy to me to do something like this securely.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If they were just able to decrypt the data the security was pretty sucky though, and that's Sony's fault. It seems rather easy to me to do something like this securely.

It's encrypted with a key that Rockstar only has (what I heard)
If it was Sony who would've encrypted it then you can bet it was being decrypted within no time ;p
Right Sony!?
Your whole Hypervisor fiasco?
Masterkeys leakage!?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GTA has a story?

Yes, but I am willing to bet it is still low level criminal (whether though inaction in the years leading up to the game, because they got betrayed and had to start fresh or because they are new on the scene) going through the motions/ranks in the criminal underworld, making a go of it by themselves and then getting betrayed before a climactic final act that either goes with the "so it was all for that" or "all that and you now look forward to an empty life as it cost you all you know" type ending. Add in a plotline where along the way some of the main characters learn to become slightly less of a dick along the way and you have your game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

I thought it was Rockstar who coded the game, not Sony. :rolleyes:

The pre-order "Demo" is practically the full game, locked out beyond a certain point. This way, when the game goes live, all you need is an activation key and perhaps a few patches, making it "ready to play" almost instantaneously. It's always been like this, most Demos and Trials work that way on PSN.

It's Rockstar who gave Sony the Demo content to host, not the other way around. Don't put the blame on the company which is merely hosting it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I thought it was Rockstar who coded the game, not Sony. :rolleyes:

The pre-order "Demo" is practically the full game, locked out beyond a certain point. This way, when the game goes live, all you need is an activation key and perhaps a few patches, making it "ready to play" almost instantaneously. It's always been like this, most Demos and Trials work that way on PSN.

It's Rockstar who give Sony the Demo content to host, not the other way around. Don't put the blame on the company which is merely hosting it.
Oh, is it? Sorry then, I thought it was like Steam pre-loading where you can download an encrypted version of the entire game that gets decrypted on release date.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, is it? Sorry then, I thought it was like Steam pre-loading where you can download an encrypted version of the entire game that gets decrypted on release date.
This situation is practically the equivalent of getting upset at Valve when a Steam game gets cracked - Valve merely hosts it and has nothing to do with whatever users do with it or whatever AP is in the game. Sure, Steam needs to run in the background... and then there are NonSteam versions. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...