Sony apologises for GTA V story leak.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
..."Sony ruins GTAV"? And there I thought it was the users who went to great lengths to extract the data from the game and then leaked it. Gee whiz, I feel so misinformed. :rolleyes:

Joseph Sony: Hey, boyos, you like Grand Theft Auto, don't cha?
Innocent Gamers: Golly gee, we sure do!
Joseph Sony: Well, then, have I got a leak for you. Heh heh heh.
Innocent Gamers: B-but we could never accept such a thing. That would be naughty!
Joseph Sony: You're gonna take it and you're gonna like it!
Innocent Gamers: Sony-chan, no!
*Perverse grunting intensifies*

The above is an accurate depiction of what actually happened. Educate yourself before posting next time!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This situation is practically the equivalent of getting upset at Valve when a Steam game gets cracked - Valve merely hosts it and has nothing to do with whatever users do with it or whatever AP is in the game. Sure, Steam needs to run in the background... and then there are NonSteam versions. ;)
True and I see that now. I just thought Sony handled the security on preloading, but apparently they don't.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
And yet, despite all these fine arguments, the fact remains that Sony have apologised to Rockstar ?
They must feel slightly culpable, or else why on earth would they apologise ?

Also, I feel I should point out that my op was meant to be tongue-in-cheek ?
I'd hate anyone to feel I was sat here actually crying because a video game plot was leaked :cry:

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm with foxi4 on this one. What the hell kind of news is this? :unsure: My only guess is that the sony board of directors has gotten so used to being blamed and mocked that they're getting masochistic pleasure out of it.

Once again, I'm sorry not to be a gaming journalist, or at the correct place and time. If I was...

Sony: we're sorry to have leaked the ending. Please accept our deepest apologies!
me: *gasps* how DARE you! I trust you've fired the individual from your ranks immediately?
Sony: well...not exactly. It was uploaded by someone who cracked the audio part of the locked game on OUR system.
me: yeah, that sure sucks. But that locked game...that's the demo you're talking about, right?
Sony: yes.
me: ...isn't that made by Rockstar? If they included that part in advance...how are you guys to blame?
Sony: they are deeply disappointed by the leaks!
me: yeah, well...obvious. But that doesn't make it your fault.
Sony: *interrupting* It does! We are to blame. We're sorry!
me: now...wait a second. It's their game and someone else cracked and uploaded it. How are you even involved?
Sony: it's on our network! Our security surely MUST be involved!
me: ...on a game that was most likely cracked after it was completely downloaded?
Sony: yes
me: ...a game that is made by a totally different company?
Sony: yes!
me: and cracked by YET ANOTHER random guy who has NOTHING to do with you?
Sony: YES! Punish us! We deserve no better!
me: ...
me: by any chance...after the hacked PSN network debacle...did someone told you to take the blame for things, even though it wasn't your fault? Or in the form of counseling or anything...?
Sony: erm...perhaps?
me: you're overextending.

Also: stay tuned for next week's announcement, when Jack Tretton will publicly apologize on the lacking wiiu sales. You're encouraged to bring whips and nipple clamps. :P

Reactions: Smuff

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And yet, despite all these fine arguments, the fact remains that Sony have apologised to Rockstar ?

Hardware manufacturers and developers should keep friendly relations with each other, especially when the developer is a well-known triple-A powerhouse. Sure, Sony handles the distribution and whatever encryption is used on a given platform but it's a well-known fact that the platform in question has been hacked quite some time ago and Rockstar should've been aware of the risk. It's hardly a surprise, really - they should've implemented their own AP in the product to protect them from such a turn of events.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardware manufacturers and developers should keep friendly relations with each other, especially when the developer is a well-known triple-A powerhouse. Sure, Sony handles the distribution and whatever encryption is used on a given platform but it's a well-known fact that the platform in question has been hacked quite some time ago and Rockstar should've been aware of the risk. It's hardly a surprise, really - they should've implemented their own AP in the product to protect them from such a turn of events.
I see. So despite Sony claiming responsibility and apologizing, it's Rockstar's fault for trusting Sony because Sony was hacked years ago.

If their security being compromised absolves them of any and all future responsibility, then why the hell don't these companies let themselves get hacked more often?

I expected higher quality Sony nuthugging from the mighty Foxi4...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I see. So despite Sony claiming responsibility and apologizing, it's Rockstar's fault for trusting Sony because Sony was hacked years ago.

If their security being compromised absolves them of any and all future responsibility, then why the hell don't these companies let themselves get hacked more often?

I expected higher quality Sony nuthugging from the mighty Foxi4...

I'm not sure if you understand what i'm saying. Sony is by no means at fault for what PSN users do and there's only so much that can be done to protect data. The demo was encrypted in the same way all PSN demos are - with standard PSN-related keys. Sony claims responsibility out of courtesy. They're by no means "absolved" just because the PS3 has been hacked, it's more so a scenario where they can't do anything about it without compromising compatibility with already released hardware.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if you understand what i'm saying. Sony is by no means at fault for what PSN users do and there's only so much that can be done to protect data. The demo was encrypted in the same way all PSN demos are - with standard PSN-related keys. Sony claims responsibility out of courtesy. They're by no means "absolved" just because the PS3 has been hacked, it's more so a scenario where they can't do anything about it without compromising compatibility with already released hardware.
Right, which is what the first 1/3 of your post said. What about the rest?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I thought the X360 was pretty thoroughly hacked as well though, with jtags, rghs and all that?

It is. Your point?

The 360's digital store doesn't work like PSNs, a majority of games aren't available through digital distribution and the ones that are don't get put on the Games on Demand until a few months after the release (though IIRC some recent titles have Digital releases as well, but it's always after/one the day the game gets released).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is. Your point?

The 360's digital store doesn't work like PSNs, a majority of games aren't available through digital distribution and the ones that are don't get put on the Games on Demand until a few months after the release (though IIRC some recent titles have Digital releases as well, but it's always after/one the day the game gets released).
Ah, so it's Sony's fault for offering a service (preloading or whatever you call it, or even digital distribution) that Microsoft doesn't. Okay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr