Sony announces the PlayStation Classic

L-lead-hand-755x425.jpg

Sony is borrowing its best friend Nintendo's idea to bring its classic console in palm format. Meet the PlayStation Classic.

Announced in a blog post today, this miniature rehash of the classic console with a very original name will feature defining titles like Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, Wild Arms and 17 other "legendary titles".

L-angle.jpg

20180919_095149.png

"The mini console is approximately 45% smaller than the original PlayStation, and it emulates the original’s look and feel by featuring similar controllers and packaging," reads the blog post.

Each unit will come bundled with an HDMI cable, a USB cable, and two controllers for local multiplayer within compatible titles.

Pre-loaded with 20 classic title, the new mini-console launches December 3 at an MSRP of $99.99.
:arrow: SOURCE

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope they include Tales of Destiny. And Alundra. Doubt that happens.
Hmmm... Actually I might buy this thing, though it makes no sense.
But it's cute.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does it emulate the ridiculous load times?
I hope it also emulates the ridiculously loud CD seeking sound.
Hey, it almost sound like the Commodore 1541!

(yes that is a real piece of software to make music with your 1541, literally)

Reactions: Hanafuda and Kioku

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys know that most of the games they will probably include don't require dual shock support right?

I heard the R&D on emulating the peeling rubber on the sticks was costing too much so they decided to abandon it.

I'll just keep on truckin with the real thing + RGB cable and Framemeister.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You guys know that most of the games they will probably include don't require dual shock support right?

The out-of-the-box config isn't important. I think the bigger concern for scum like us is whether it will support a Dualshock after you hack it and put CTR on it.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I heard the R&D on emulating the peeling rubber on the sticks was costing too much so they decided to abandon it.

I'll just keep on truckin with the real thing + RGB cable and Framemeister.
Do yours still read CDs?
Mine got so wasted.
It was a PITA to make it read CDs, turning it on its side or flipping it completely (and it was already like that back in ~2001)
The three metal balls with springs that hold the CD in the drive fell apart in the end.
It really a got some 6+ years of relentless beating, most overused console I've ever had, I think between me and my brother the console was probably never off.
In the other hands my brothers were too little to use the consoles I had before.

The thing is, mine is very dead for sure.

Rabbid4240

i dont know
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: MaxiBash

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do yours still read CDs?
Mine got so wasted.
It was a PITA to make it read CDs, turning it on its side or flipping it completely (and it was already like that back in ~2001)
The three metal balls with springs that hold the CD in the drive fell apart in the end.
It really a got some 6+ years of relentless beating, most overused console I've ever had, I think between me and my brother the console was probably never off.
In the other hands my brothers were too little to use the consoles I had before.

The thing is, mine is very dead for sure.

I have two, one of them is an early (J) model with the parallel port on the back. Has one of those non-analog controllers too, just like the "Classic" lol. The other is a (U) model with Dualshocks, with a modchip I installed in 2000-2001, and yeah it's still working great. Loads retail & backups, no problem. TBH I don't use it that much - once in a while I get the urge to play some CTR or Forsaken, but that's about it.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It BETTER have Persona 1 & 2!
And Wild Arms 1 & 2, yeah I miss the vampire thingy girl
And Suikoden 1 & 2
And Breath Of Fire 3 and 4
And Lunar 1 and 2
And Parasite Eve 1 and 2
And SaGa Frontier 1 and 2
And Star Ocean
And Grandia!
And Valkyrie Profile!
And Vagrant Story!
And Thousand Waifus that forge Arms!
And Legend of Dragoon!
And Brave Fencer Musashi!
But then also Threads of Fate!
and Final Fantasy Tactics!
and Legend of Legaia of course!

and... wait, they said 20 games.

Reactions: DarthDub
D

Deleted User

Looks interesting. I didn't think Sony would go through with something like this, so it is a bit of a surprise, but cool nonetheless. Might be interested in picking one up for hacking or collection purposes.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You stole that post.

AFAICT nobody else has made a PlayStation Classic, so I'm not sure how they could have stolen it.
Oh come on, are you kidding me ? So you're telling me the idea, the picture and all by itself isn't stolen and completely original ?? Sony always has done this ! They basically stole the playstation idea itself from Nintendo. They stole triggers on controllers, they stole rumble, they stole memory cards, they stole the playstation network basically from Dreamcast and xbox, jezus I can go on and on about Sony. There isn't much original stuff about them. PlayStation move, PlayStation VR, etc ...

Last edited by kumikochan,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh come on, are you kidding me ? So you're telling me the idea, the picture and all by itself isn't stolen and completely original ??
Of course it is stolen, it's stolen from one that stole it from another one that stole it from someone that stole it and...
In the same fashion every car manufacturer is stealing the wheel concept form Ford, that stole it from Mercedes, that stole it from... that stole it from Joe the caveman back in 9999 BC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1