Sony announces next-gen PlayStation VR headset

4F5A41F6-6720-431D-B9EA-C532778B0735.jpeg

Sony has revealed that there will be a successor to their PlayStation VR headset. Announced in a PlayStation Blog post, the new virtual reality hardware will make use of the PlayStation 5’s power, and will feature a new and innovative VR controller that takes inspiration from the DualSense. It will also have improved resolution output and a higher field of view than the original PSVR, while only requiring a single cable to connect to the PS5. No release window was provided, though Sony confirmed that the next-gen PSVR will not release this year.

We’re continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We’re taking what we’ve learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.

One of the innovations we’re excited about is our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense wireless controller, along with a focus on great ergonomics. That’s just one of the examples of future-proof technology we’re developing to match our vision for a whole new generation of VR games and experiences.

:arrow: Source

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP

Sony has revealed that there will be a successor to their PlayStation VR headset. Announced in a PlayStation Blog post, the new virtual reality hardware will make use of the PlayStation 5’s power, and will feature a new and innovative VR controller that takes inspiration from the DualSense. It will also have improved resolution output and a higher field of view than the original PSVR, while only requiring a single cable to connect to the PS5. No release window was provided, though Sony confirmed that the next-gen PSVR will not release this year.

:arrow: Source
Oh god, more money to be wasted on products we already own

Reactions: spotanjo3

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Well hopefully it’s half decent now-
The VR industry standards are currently something like..
•Millisecond tracking from all directions
•6DOF
•At least decent controllers
•2160x2160 per eye resolution will be the standard soon
•90/120 Hz displays
•Comfortable long-term

The only one of those PSVR had was...
•6DOF

Reactions: ds34

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The resistive triggers found in the dualsense will be a game changer for VR, moreso than it already is on PS5.

Let's hope the improved FOV is much, much wider but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Seems to be the trickiest thing to improve on.

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happy to hear they have streamlined the cables. The old setup was such a nightmare.

Would be funny if you could pick up one of these vr sets before you could pick up a ps5 itself.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Methinks none of you have looked at the Valve Index (expensive as hell though). Resistive triggers aren’t a game changer...

and 2160x2160... are you actually basing that off of an HP product? Ewwww....

EDIT: the price, though... HP Reverb G2 + the Index controllers, is looking mighty tempting! (I just read through a couple reviews on it)

EDIT2: Nevermind. Read more reviews. The index controllers need the lighthouse base stations, which are like $150 each, PLUS some type of adapter for $30~$40. Too much hastle for something they should have gotten right the first time. Damn shame, but the tracking problems combined with subpar controllers rule the HP offering out.

Last edited by urherenow,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
If they dont ditch the stereo camera and the blue leds for another positioning system (such as IR matrix like the HTC Vibe...) it doesn´t matter how much they improve the PS3 move controllers or the displays...

Reactions: Xzi and weatMod

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice to see a PSVR2 being announced. I'm curious, which DualSense features they are going to pack into the VR controllers. And I prophesize the stick drift is one of them.

Last edited by Axido,
Reactions: Urbanshadow

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Well hopefully it’s half decent now-
The VR industry standards are currently something like..
•Millisecond tracking from all directions
•6DOF
•At least decent controllers
•2160x2160 per eye resolution will be the standard soon
•90/120 Hz displays
•Comfortable long-term

The only one of those PSVR had was...
•6DOF
The PSVR did have a 120hz display, though games that ran at 120hz were usually just 60fps with doubled frames. A fair few ran at 90hz natively, and I think like...2 games or something hit 120hz natively :lol: But it still had the capability, even if the PS4 itself wasn't able to hit that target.

As to the OP, I'm mostly hoping they keep the price point in line with their original 2016 release, at least in the sense that it'll be cheaper than a "good" PC headset with at least moderately similar specs. Given that they now have to compete against things like the relatively cheap Oculus Quest and such, I'd hope they opt to keep the price to around $350-$400 again which would be...at least ok anyways, for VR. Resistive triggers would be interesting to see on their new controllers I guess, but TBH unless it has finger tracking similar to the Index controllers that's not going to be all that interesting.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're looking to play VR for relatively cheap you could try the Oculus Quest 2, it's a very good VR experience for a great price and you don't need the lightboxes/external camera stuff. Keep in mind you have to link a facebook account to use the device, makes no difference to me but I know that rubs people the wrong way.

VR has come a long way since the original PSVR so I'd expect really big improvements. The upside to Sony actively supporting VR is that there will be more VR games for people to play.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The only good thing is that unlike other VR sets this will have support as long as the PS5 lasts. I wonder if Sony will make the effort to make as most PS4 VR games be compatible as possible?

Reactions: cearp

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no picture, no tech information.
Only one cable (not wireless?) is already better than V1.

What did they mean whith "key features found in the DualSense" ? the feedback, the feeling, or something new?
If it's Haptic feedback from touched objects, that would be even more immersive.

Last year I've read about some Sony's Patented controllers, which could magnetically detect finger's position.
No idea if it'll be used, or it was just a random prototype. (nor if it's fake or not)

https://uploadvr.com/sony-psvr-2-controller-patent/

https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/09/...ch-on-next-gen-finger-tracked-vr-controllers/

Last edited by Cyan,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, does that mean they are finally moving away from the giant ball controllers?

Anyway, makes me wonder if they will just include VR with the console, when VR gets widespread enough.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Only the Jaguar could run something so advanced! lol +1