Sony announces next-gen PlayStation VR headset

4F5A41F6-6720-431D-B9EA-C532778B0735.jpeg

Sony has revealed that there will be a successor to their PlayStation VR headset. Announced in a PlayStation Blog post, the new virtual reality hardware will make use of the PlayStation 5’s power, and will feature a new and innovative VR controller that takes inspiration from the DualSense. It will also have improved resolution output and a higher field of view than the original PSVR, while only requiring a single cable to connect to the PS5. No release window was provided, though Sony confirmed that the next-gen PSVR will not release this year.

We’re continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We’re taking what we’ve learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.

One of the innovations we’re excited about is our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense wireless controller, along with a focus on great ergonomics. That’s just one of the examples of future-proof technology we’re developing to match our vision for a whole new generation of VR games and experiences.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

You know that for ps4 games you would need ps4 psvr with ps4 camera, right?
And beat saber ps4 game that run on ps5
Psvr for ps5 would support only ps5 games, read somewhere from sony
that's a shame :c, still, hoping for a Ps5 upgrade or beat saber 2 then

Reactions: Xzi

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not gonna be as good as PC headsets plus they'll make you invest $300 for a couple mediocre games with some games that you have already played but well it's VR right, you will need to replay em just coz it's VR....such a waste of money and usage of hype to get more $$$ from customers.

Last edited by HideoKojima,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not gonna be as good as PC headsets plus they'll make you invest $300 for a couple mediocre games with some games that you have already played but well it's VR right, you will need to replay em just coz it's VR....such a waste of money and usage of hype to get more $$$ from customers.
I mean it's not like everybody and their dog has a high-end PC headset. It's still a budding market, and PS5 is still a huge leap up in power from PS4.

ds34

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well hopefully it’s half decent now-
The VR industry standards are currently something like..
•Millisecond tracking from all directions
•6DOF
•At least decent controllers
•2160x2160 per eye resolution will be the standard soon
•90/120 Hz displays
•Comfortable long-term

The only one of those PSVR had was...
•6DOF
it wasn't even real 6DOF. the PS Eye (don't remember the actual name) camera sucked so bad. I did the terrible mistake and bought Skyrim VR
as a digital copy for 60€. it's terrible, tracking is either lost or incredibly bad as soon as you turn around/don't face the camera. plus I had to put the PS4 Pro outside of my room, otherwise it would completely break immersion because it was trying to get airborne.

it had one advantage tho: you could just turn the PS4 on and go to the title screen during winter if you should run out of oil. it keeps you warm just fine

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
While I get your point, I wasn't saying they should literally put in the cheapest VR headset (of that time). Just a good, but not over expensive one. People that want the highest VR experience, well, they would get a PC.
That last part is true, but it's a terrible marketing move to ever admit it. :lol:

roswell108

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope they impose Facebook integration and analytics. Nothing like being bombarded with ads trying to sell you unauthorized game merchandise on shady websites that didn't even register a domain name. Oculus Quest has revolutionized VR.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt