Sony announces Backbone One PlayStation Edition mobile controller for PS4 and PS5 remote play

2b997e20-0d14-11ed-bbde-13bb1b8e87f0.cf.jpg

In 2020, the Backbone One was released--a mobile controller that attaches to your phone, and can be folded up nice and neat to be taken on the go. There were versions of the portable controller for both iOS and Android, and they would eventually see support from Xbox, where they promoted the controller for use with Xbox Game Pass's xCloud streaming service for phones. Now, PlayStation is getting in on things, by revealing their own unique DualSense-themed variant of the Backbone One. The "PlayStation Edition" form of the controller comes with some extra bonus features, including the ability to connect directly to the PlayStation Pulse 3D headset, and seamless support with the PS Remote Play app--notable, as the app does not support other similar mobile gamepads--only PlayStation branded ones such as the DualShock 4. Right now, only an iPhone-specific model is available, for $99.99.

Backbone One is the gaming essential for PlayStation on iPhone. If you have access to broadband internet and a PS5 or PS4 console, plug an iPhone into the Backbone One and instantly start playing your PS5 and PS4 games with the power of the PS Remote Play app—whether that’s out and about or even elsewhere in the home*. See the PlayStation Remote Play website for more information: https://www.playstation.com/remote-play/

Backbone One also works wonderfully with App Store games and other game streaming services that support controllers, including Genshin Impact, Fantasian, Call of Duty: Mobile, and more. Players can download the Backbone App for a customized PlayStation experience. Inside the app, you’ll see various PlayStation integrations, such as custom glyphs representing the iconic PlayStation shapes and the ability to browse hundreds of game titles.

:arrow: Source

aoikurayami

dysfunctionally intimidating
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
If it *was* possible to play the games entirely via smartphone streaming (whatever sony calls it),
never having to use a tv..

I'd be interested.

But iirc you need to login and stuff to be able to use the ps4/ps5..
.. which requires an dsX controller.

Good job sony.
(I wanted to like the vita)

Shame, this looks good

@hippy dave
Grow the fuck up and release a Remote Play app for Switch already, Sony :rolleyes:

(Yes I know Chiaki and I'm using it now, but still, the principle)
Wasn't there a survey once, that asked if ppl wanted remoplay on switch ?
Edit: Yes. There was

Last edited by aoikurayami,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony copied the joycons... It's a joke right... Right???
Those sticks eerily look a lot like the tiny ass Joy-Cons.

Back then, Sony was accused of copying Nintendo's Wii by releasing the Move controllers, but seems folks had forgotten about the PS2 Eye Camera. However, here it's obvious it's plagiarism.

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This wasn't created by Sony. It launched last year and they released a PlayStation themed edition this year, with a DualSense template and connection with the PS5 headset and the Remote Play functionality.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This wasn't created by Sony. It launched last year and they released a PlayStation themed edition this year, with a DualSense template and connection with the PS5 headset and the Remote Play functionality.
It's still licensed by Sony so it's their responsibility to be aware what they align with.

Nintendo licensed a lot of useless shit for the NES, but back then there wasn't the internet for them to get backlash over it.

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's still licensed by Sony so it's their responsibility to be aware what they align with.

Nintendo licensed a lot of useless shit for the NES, but back then there wasn't the internet for them to get backlash over it.

I think you're reaching hard.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In 2020, the Backbone One was released--a mobile controller that attaches to your phone, and can be folded up nice and neat to be taken on the go. There were versions of the portable controller for both iOS and Android, and they would eventually see support from Xbox, where they promoted the controller for use with Xbox Game Pass's xCloud streaming service for phones. Now, PlayStation is getting in on things, by revealing their own unique DualSense-themed variant of the Backbone One. The "PlayStation Edition" form of the controller comes with some extra bonus features, including the ability to connect directly to the PlayStation Pulse 3D headset, and seamless support with the PS Remote Play app--notable, as the app does not support other similar mobile gamepads--only PlayStation branded ones such as the DualShock 4. Right now, only an iPhone-specific model is available, for $99.99.

:arrow: Source
I don’t understand the point. Anything that isn’t a large top down game like bloons TD is impossible to play on these phone screens without killing your eyes

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given it's a third-party licensed product and not Sony-made, I bet it looks like a dualsense and feels like cheap junk.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still feel like Sony (and/or Microsoft) working with Nintendo's huge Switch install base to allow remote play of their system on the Switch could be mutually beneficial, encouraging owners of one system to get the other.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Those sticks eerily look a lot like the tiny ass Joy-Cons.

Back then, Sony was accused of copying Nintendo's Wii by releasing the Move controllers, but seems folks had forgotten about the PS2 Eye Camera. However, here it's obvious it's plagiarism.
let's see...

-the entire original PS1 controller is a clone of snes controller
-they released a smash bros for sony characters (despite sony not having characters)
-sony released an amiibo clone despite, again, not having characters
-playstation move
-playstation 1 mini
-they also have like 4 or 5 mario kart "inspired" games
-recently they released a clone to the shitty rewards program from nintendo (probabily is better than Nintendo, but came after, so...)
-they added tiers for their online service, just another clone of a shitty nintendo decision
-they put classic games behind monthly fees, I know xbox did it way before, but I'm sure that Sony did not learned about it with the any of the 22 xbox owners

now they did the joycons, the worst controller nintendo ever had, and they cloned anyway...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.