Sony allegedly plans to shut down PS3, Vita and PSP online stores definitively later this year

playstation-store-logo.png

According to a report by online outlet TheGamer, we will soon have to bid farewell to PS3, PS Vita, and PSP online stores. The report reads that "according to a source familiar with the situation (verified by TheGamer), the stores are due to be closed down from July". According to this report, the stores for the PSP and PS3 are set to permanently shut down this July 2nd. The PS Vita store will close later, on August 27th. This means that digital copies of games and/or their DLCs on those platforms will no longer be available to purchase following those dates. TheGamer also writes that Sony plans to make the news official at the end of this month.

As usual, we should take such news with a pinch of salt as they come from "a source familiar with the situation" and haven't been verified by other outlets.

:arrow: SOURCE

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
everyone start archiving every possible Vita game, just in case. It might be useful to still have access to them in future years.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, good thing I'm writing my PS3 guide for offline hacks. Hopefully, I can confirm that the hacks work fully offline before this happens.

Anyone up for testing? Click the PS3 link in my sig. You'll need a Rock Band game that has DLC and some instrument - and, of course, a PS3.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
holla holla holla holla

the psp still has it's ps store going?

Umm but the PSP store is already shut down since years?
If I'm not mistaken, it might not be possible to access the PSP store from the PSP, but you can still purchase and download games on your PC and then transfer them over USB.

I was kind of hoping to one day get my hands on the PSP version of The Warriors, which apparently has some nice advantages over the PS2 version. But I don't think PSP games have been going on sale for a while now.

(Got burned a few years ago when I bought Castlevania SOTN thinking that Dracula X Chronicles would never go on sale, and then it did. Bah.)

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything i am thinking mod your systems and make backups of your games and store them onto a pc.

NoNpDRM removes DRM whenever running digital games bought+downloaded from PSN, are run? I forget. its been a while.

I have a modded vita on 3.60, two actually phat and slim with Vita2SD 128GB microSD's.

I only connect to my wifi to do file structure stuff / signs in my account

I have a slim ps3, never JB it because I wanted to free play the older CoD's I used to have on 360. Is that service going away too, free online play or a separate matter? Sucks though because ranking doesn't save because of a server bug they never bothered fixing?

I would keep it disconnected bc that one could ban accounts I think. vita one no one has ever had an issue, its tied to my same PSN account I use ps5 with (and ps4 pro before that) and feel fine with that.

Probably would've modded it (ps3) and given it a hard drive and backed up my physical games, too just for performance and ease to play / keep them on the shelf. if not for that online situation. which I still may just forego CoD online for it at this point dunno

ive been meaning to play my massive backlog of ps3 discs that I collected but haven't had time recently to dive into

Last edited by playstays_shun,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NoNpDRM removes DRM whenever running digital games bought+downloaded from PSN, are run? I forget. its been a while.

I have a modded vita on 3.60, two actually phat and slim with Vita2SD 128GB microSD's.

I only connect to my wifi to do file structure stuff / signs in my account

I have a slim ps3, never JB it because I wanted to free play the older CoD's I used to have on 360. Is that service going away too, free online play or a separate matter? Sucks though because ranking doesn't save because of a server bug they never bothered fixing?

I would keep it disconnected bc that one could ban accounts I think. vita one no one has ever had an issue, its tied to my same PSN account I use ps5 with (and ps4 pro before that) and feel fine with that.

Probably would've modded it (ps3) and given it a hard drive and backed up my physical games, too just for performance and ease to play / keep them on the shelf. if not for that online situation. which I still may just forego CoD online for it at this point dunno

ive been meaning to play my massive backlog of ps3 discs that I collected but haven't had time recently to dive into
To your first question, it doesn't remove the DRM but bypasses it. Same results though.

To your second question i can't imagine this affecting actual online play on ps3. The main reason i think this is the case is because of the service psnow/playstation now which not only lets you stream ps3 games but play them online as well.

Also i personally would not use the same account i use on a modded system on ps4/ps5. Usually for modded systems you make a throwaway account to use. In your case if you really wanted to switch accounts on vita you could backup your games, make a new account, and reinstall your game backups but usually with the vita it seems fine.

For ps3 you definitely do not want to use the same account you use on ps4/ps5 in case you eventually do decide to mod the system.

Last edited by cvskid,

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For ps3 you definitely do not want to use the same account you use on ps4/ps5 in case you eventually do decide to mod the system.

Even then JB ps3 usually means have to forego free play online most likely right?

Since ive heard they are notorious for account bans. Would rather not have a banned console, even if I dont ever bring it online again, would rather just keep it offline if its likely to get banned anyways by trying.

I would def not do my same account for modded PS3 + PS5 either, *if* I were to gamble thanks for heads up though.

I probably will just bring ps3 offline and mod it for preservation as a project at some point and call it a day for old CoD's / Hang my hat up on that one.

anyways thanks

Last edited by playstays_shun,
Reactions: cvskid

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even then JB ps3 usually means have to forego free play online most likely right?

Since ive heard they are notorious for account bans. Would rather not have a banned console, even if I dont ever bring it online again, would rather just keep it offline if its likely to get banned anyways by trying.

I would def not do my same account for modded PS3 + PS5 either, *if* I were to gamble thanks for heads up though.

I probably will just bring ps3 offline and mod it for preservation as a project at some point and call it a day for old CoD's / Hang my hat up on that one.

anyways thanks
You can play a modded ps3 online but it is pretty easy to get banned. If you ever did want to take that risk there is a way to unban a ps3 console but it involves buying a unbanned ps3 console id off of ebay. Also in the ps3's case there is a homebrew ps store you can install which replaces the official ps store entirely but i've never used it.

Reactions: Codemastershock

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol