Sony acknowledged mistakes in marketing the PlayStation Vita

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When do I use a handheld console? Waiting for the missus shopping, waiting for my son to finish cubs, on the train, on the toilet and perhaps a couple of minutes before I go to bed. I do not want an all engrossing immersive game. I just need something to do to trash a few minutes of boredom. A quick game of mini golf or pinball or perhaps some sort of shooter or platformer usually fits the bill. If I am feeling a bit more studious I'll go for puzzles, crosswords, scrabble or brain training.

I could never justify the purchase of a vita. The types of games being hyped for the Vita I could only enjoy in front of a 46" inch screen with surround sound and the base turned up or perhaps while glued to a 26" monitor while yelling curses at my mates over skype.

Reactions: 2 people

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes indeed. Sony designed the Vita to be answer to every demand out there;

Hey, iPhones are popular, let's add a touch screen.
Hey, social media is hot right now, let's add 3G.
Hey, innovative gameplay is a hit, let's add a gyroscope and back touch pad.
Hey, let's add GPS since most tech have it these days.

In the end, they get confused and fail to reach a niche market.

With all that said and done, Sony made a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Touchscreens are becoming incredibly commonplace on mobile devices. It's just a fact. They're better for multimedia and such.

3G, admittedly I think it's a bit unnecessary on the Vita, but it's used for what 3G is used for plus some. Like they make quite a few Vita games leaderboard-centric so you can constantly compete on-the-go. I actually kinda like it. Mind you I don't have 3G but the Vita has compelled me for the only time in my life to care about leaderboards (Super Stardust Delta).

Gyroscopes are also becoming very commonplace. The back touchpad, again its unnecessary, but it does work very well for some things I'd never have though of.

GPS, um, see the rest of my points.

I don't see how having these things makes them "fail to reach a niche market". Also, since when did people strive to reach niche markets? They're not like Atlus, who makes games pretty much only for a niche market (at least in EU/US). You want to reach a big audience, especially when you're the one making the product.

As for the topic at hand, Sony has acknowledged plenty of times that it wants sales to do better and such. They've put out numerous statements saying "Software is our priority" and "Bundles can help sell it but a price cut may come next year". This is just another article in a long line of samey articles.

Way to go Guild, you can defend the Vita as hard as you can, but it'll never catch on as a portable system compared to the DS, or even the 3DS.

Let me explain you why:

I've been trying to say this many times, but it seems nobody listens.
So let me give you a little history lesson:

When I was in high school in 1989 ( I'm old ) , Nintendo came up with the Game Boy.It was black and white,it wasn't backlit, and it was less powerful then the current gen home console systems.But never the less , it became very successful and it sold millions worldwide.
Around the same time, more or less, Atari tried to sell a fantastic handled called " Lynx " and Sega had another marvelous handled called " Game Gear ", and a few more came along the way. They all had bigger, brighter and colorful backlit displays. However, they all failed miserably.

Yes, you can blame it on the poor marketing choices, or short battery life, but the real reason was that they were just too good to be handled systems, so much ahead of their time that they could graphically compare to home consoles ( does it ring a bell , Vita/PS3 ? ) but exactly because they were so powerful, they failed.

It was actually easy for developers to port over home console games ( just like the Vita is getting its share of ports ) so instead of getting some fresh, innovative games built to be played on the go, people were getting dumbed down versions of home console games, ( PSP/PS2 anyone ? Without the second analog stick ? ) .
After the initial " woo " people were getting bored of playing the same games they had been playing more comfortable on their home systems.

The Game Boy had its limits. BIG limits. A ridiculous greenly display at 160 x 144 pixels, which was so low res that you couldn't
possibly port anything directly from the home consoles, thus forcing developers to think ' outside of the box ' and start creating new, original games, and what games may I say !
Plus it was cheap, with an incredible sturdy build quality ( I remember people flushing their GBs down the toilet and they would still work , or the one that's on display at the Nintendo world store that survived a bombing in Afghanistan ) it was child friendly and it came with every adults favorite Tetris !!

Can't you see why Nintendo succeeded over and over again with their handled strategy ? It's quite simple actually: Do a moderate update to the current hardware, with just enough improvement to justify the purchase, keep it one generation behind and keep it cheap. It will sell, and games will be tailor made for the system ( that's why we have such a huge, diverse library on the DS ).

What does Sony do ? Well being Sony the arrogant electronic giant that it is , they just think one dimensionally:
Whatever is out there, let's do it bigger and better, more powerful ( PS3 graphics on the go ? Come on, I'm so comfortable playing Uncharted on my couch in front of my 46" TV...).
And that the way it's always been ever since the PS2 launched.

And that's why the Vita will fail ( not miserably, but I bet you that it won't be extremely successful either ), because it's so powerful that real console games can be successfully ported over ( history repeats itself ).
And with better graphics and more power, developers feel the pressure of releasing big budget games that aren't exactly the best thing to play while waiting at the bus stop for example.

And smart phones. Everybody can get their quick game fixes on their phones these days.

Besides, by 2012, people aren't wooed any longer by spectacular graphic, they have iPhones, iPads, smart phones and android devices of all kind ( my 12 years old nephew has a Galaxy Samsung s3 that blows my Wii, DS and PSP away !).

People need fun , unique and original games that can't be played on a frigging phone !

So Sony got it completely wrong with the Vita. As they got it wrong with the PSP ( as much as I love my PSP3000 ) .
It's not a marketing problem, it's an hardware problem.

I might be interested in playing good Vita exclusive games ( if there will be any ) maybe laying on my bed, but if I were to get one, I just couldn't see myself bringing it outside of the house.
But then again I could do just that with the lighter, bigger Wii U controller, so why bother ? ;)

Nintendo will always be king of the handled market, they just got the right formula ( in a nutshell cheap, underpowered hardware but with some kind of innovation to justify the purchase).

So forget about the marketing; whatever Sony will say to try to convince me that I need a Vita, won't really make a difference to me. The games DO make a difference !

P.S.
Edited the post for a few misspelled words and because apparently it made people eyes bleeding ;) !

Reactions: 9 people

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
When do I use a handheld console? Waiting for the missus shopping, waiting for my son to finish cubs, on the train, on the toilet and perhaps a couple of minutes before I go to bed. I do not want an all engrossing immersive game. I just need something to do to trash a few minutes of boredom. A quick game of mini golf or pinball or perhaps some sort of shooter or platformer usually fits the bill. If I am feeling a bit more studious I'll go for puzzles, crosswords, scrabble or brain training.

I could never justify the purchase of a vita. The types of games being hyped for the Vita I could only enjoy in front of a 46" inch screen with surround sound and the base turned up or perhaps while glued to a 26" monitor while yelling curses at my mates over skype.
preference.
in my case a handheld would be better since i don't have a nice tv. and if i'm home i only use the computer. i rarely touch our tv.

Reactions: 1 person

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
The Vita is a great piece of hardware and is the better console but its problem was little to no advertising which means only those more dedicated to gaming would know about it so less sales and poor marketing since Sony didn't really market it to a specific crowd at all so no one really knows is it for casual or hardcore gaming which doesn't help in the sales and low sales means 3rd parties are hesitant to support it so not as much games that would help its sales.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

With all that said and done, Sony made a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Touchscreens are becoming incredibly commonplace on mobile devices. It's just a fact. They're better for multimedia and such.

3G, admittedly I think it's a bit unnecessary on the Vita, but it's used for what 3G is used for plus some. Like they make quite a few Vita games leaderboard-centric so you can constantly compete on-the-go. I actually kinda like it. Mind you I don't have 3G but the Vita has compelled me for the only time in my life to care about leaderboards (Super Stardust Delta).

Gyroscopes are also becoming very commonplace. The back touchpad, again its unnecessary, but it does work very well for some things I'd never have though of.

I don't see how having these things makes them "fail to reach a niche market". Also, since when did people strive to reach niche markets? They're not like Atlus, who makes games pretty much only for a niche market (at least in EU/US). You want to reach a big audience, especially when you're the one making the product.

As for the topic at hand, Sony has acknowledged plenty of times that it wants sales to do better and such. They've put out numerous statements saying "Software is our priority" and "Bundles can help sell it but a price cut may come next year". This is just another article in a long line of samey articles.

Way to go Guild, you can defend the Vita as hard as you can, but it'll never catch on as a portable system compared to the DS, or even the 3DS.

Let me explain you why.
I'm gonna give you a little history lesson.
When I was in high school in 1989 ( I'm old ) , Nintendo came up with the Game Boy.It was black and white,it wasn't backlit, and it was less powerful then the current gen home console systems. It was a hit, it sold millions.
Are you aware at the time Atari tried to sell a fantastic handled colled " Lynx " and Sega had another marvelous handled called " Game Gear ", and a few more came along the way. They had bigger, brighter and colorful backlit displays. But they all failed.
Yes you can blame it on the poor marketing choices, or short battery life, but you know the real reason ? They were too good to be handled, they could graphically compare to home consoles of the time ( does it ring a bell ? ) but because they were so powerful, that's the reason they failed.
It was easy for developers to port home console games ( just like the Vita is getting its share of ports ) so instead of getting some fresh, innovative games built to be played on the go, people were getting dumbed down versions of home console games, ( PSP anyone ? Without the second analog stick ? ) .
The Game Boy had limits. BIG limits. A ridiculous greeny display at 160 x 144 pixels, which was so low res that you couldn't possibly port anything directly from the home consoles, thus forcing developers to think ' outside of the box ' and start creating original games, and what games !
Plus it was cheap, with an incredible build quality ( I remember people flushing their GBs down the toilet and they would still work , or the one that's on display at the nintendo world store that survived a bombing in Afganistan ) child friendly and it came with ever adults favorite Tetris !!
Can't you see why Nintendo succeeded over and over again with their handled strategy ? It's simple actually, do a moderate update to the hardware, keep it one generation behind and keep it cheap. It will sell, and games will be tailor made for the system ( that's why we have such a huge, diverse library on the DS ).
What does Sony do ? Well being Sony the arrogant pig that is is, they just think one dimensionally: Whatever is out there, let's do it bigger and better, more powerful ( PS3 graphics on the go ? Come on, I'm so confortable playing Uncharted on my couch in front of my 46" TV...). And that the way it's been since the PS2 launched.
And that's why the Vita will fail ( not miserably, but it won't succeed either ), because it's so powerful that real console games can be successfully ported over. But this is 2012 my friends, people aren't wood any longer by spectacular graphic, they have iphones, ipads, galaxies and so on. People want fun , unique and original games that can't be played on a frigging phone !
So Sony got it completely wrong with the Vita. As they got it wrong with the PSP ( as much as I love my PSP3000 ) .
I could be interested to play good Vita exclusive games ( if there will be any ) comfortably laying on the couch in my house, I certainly wouldn't bring it outside, if I were to get one.
But then again I could do just that with the liter, bigger Wii U controller, so why bother ? ;)
Nintendo will always be king of the handled market, they just got the right formula.

rxIhI.gif

Not just trying to be funny. Not only is it a wall of text, (that I did skim) but it's so horribly formatted, it makes my eyes bleed.

Reactions: 9 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now if Guild can give such a positive outlook towards 3ds as much as he does to Vita features. :unsure:

What Vita (and 3ds) needs is a video out, so you would have a bit of that experience there.

preference.
in my case a handheld would be better since i don't have a nice tv. and if i'm home i only use the computer. i rarely touch our tv.
Bit off-topic,but the wii u is perfect for the situation. I didn't normally touch my TV either unless I'm playing on a console
or I know the exact time of something I want to watch.

Crimsonclaw111

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the Vita doesn't make it past this holiday season I'm afraid it's pretty much dead...

I'd love to know where you bought your crystal ball.
I'm afraid /=/ everybody is. I probably should've clarified a bit more on that, but things still won't be good for Vita in the future if it fails to sale this holiday.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always wanted one of those portable TG-16's.... I mean if I am going to play portable conversions of home console games why should I buy them two times?

The best portable system ever made, rest in peace TurboGraphix!

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSVita needs games. Not just any games--BIG games. You know, like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, etc? What happened to those? I thought about buying the PSVita before, but I changed my mind because there's a lack of good games. I DID think of Rangarok Odyssey, but what'll I do after I beat it?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Vita doesn't make it past this holiday season I'm afraid it's pretty much dead...

I'm afraid /=/ everybody is. I probably should've clarified a bit more on that, but things still won't be good for Vita in the future if it fails to sale this holiday.

My take on that is, that if the Vita fails to do well this holiday season publishers are going to back burner a lot of Vita projects and this will give the perception that the Vita lacks games and no games means people will not buy the system... No people buying the system will go back to step one where publishers hold back on authorizing development of games for the system. Its a bad situation to be in.

As much as people hate Nintendo that is one strength that Nintendo has. They are one of the top publishers/developers in the industry and have nearly enough pull to support a platform almost single handedly. So A. They sell usually the cheaper system (N64 being an exception.) and B. You know if you buy a Nintendo system that your going to at least get a couple of decent games out of it no matter what happens. In a bad economy I think sub consciously a lot of people are thinking that Nintendo is the safe bet.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking of buying a vita myself instead of a 3DS.
But the memory card is more expensive than the games and you must have it to play the games, not that it matter since there are no interesting games for it yet.
The only game that looked good was Gravity rush. But after testing it at a game store it wasn't nearly as fun as it seemed at first glance.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of buying a vita myself instead of a 3DS.
But the memory card is more expensive than the games and you must have it to play the games, not that it matter since there are no interesting games for it yet.
The only game that looked good was Gravity rush. But after testing it at a game store it wasn't nearly as fun as it seemed at first glance.
a 4gig memory card is 20$ and a vita game is around 40 to 50$.
Maybe if you wanted a large memory card then itd be the same ammount as a game, but other then that its really not that bad...

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

My take on that is, that if the Vita fails to do well this holiday season publishers are going to back burner a lot of Vita projects and this will give the perception that the Vita lacks games and no games means people will not buy the system... No people buying the system will go back to step one where publishers hold back on authorizing development of games for the system. Its a bad situation to be in.

As much as people hate Nintendo that is one strength that Nintendo has. They are one of the top publishers/developers in the industry and have nearly enough pull to support a platform almost single handedly. So A. They sell usually the cheaper system (N64 being an exception.) and B. You know if you buy a Nintendo system that your going to at least get a couple of decent games out of it no matter what happens. In a bad economy I think sub consciously a lot of people are thinking that Nintendo is the safe bet.
Well, so far Nintendo IS the safe bet. It's got games. Good ones. And there are MANY more to come. The 3DS has a bright future ahead, while Vita's future is looking rather bleak.
Vita has good games, but it's number is so insignificant. Sure, Vita has a lot of power, but what good is that if they can't even use it well?

I recall Iwata saying along the lines of this: "Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction."

- Kind of funny, really. That's exactly what happened with the GCN. XD
- And I fear this may happen to Vita as well.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Let me explain you why.
I'm gonna give you a little history lesson.
When I was in high school in 1989 ( I'm old ) , Nintendo came up with the Game Boy.It was black and white,it wasn't backlit, and it was less powerful then the current gen home console systems. It was a hit, it sold millions.
Are you aware at the time Atari tried to sell a fantastic handled colled " Lynx " and Sega had another marvelous handled called " Game Gear ", and a few more came along the way. They had bigger, brighter and colorful backlit displays. But they all failed.
Yes you can blame it on the poor marketing choices, or short battery life, but you know the real reason ? They were too good to be handled, they could graphically compare to home consoles of the time ( does it ring a bell ? ) but because they were so powerful, that's the reason they failed.
It was easy for developers to port home console games ( just like the Vita is getting its share of ports ) so instead of getting some fresh, innovative games built to be played on the go, people were getting dumbed down versions of home console games, ( PSP anyone ? Without the second analog stick ? ) .
The Game Boy had limits. BIG limits. A ridiculous greeny display at 160 x 144 pixels, which was so low res that you couldn't possibly port anything directly from the home consoles, thus forcing developers to think ' outside of the box ' and start creating original games, and what games !
Plus it was cheap, with an incredible build quality ( I remember people flushing their GBs down the toilet and they would still work , or the one that's on display at the nintendo world store that survived a bombing in Afganistan ) child friendly and it came with ever adults favorite Tetris !!
Can't you see why Nintendo succeeded over and over again with their handled strategy ? It's simple actually, do a moderate update to the hardware, keep it one generation behind and keep it cheap. It will sell, and games will be tailor made for the system ( that's why we have such a huge, diverse library on the DS ).
What does Sony do ? Well being Sony the arrogant pig that is is, they just think one dimensionally: Whatever is out there, let's do it bigger and better, more powerful ( PS3 graphics on the go ? Come on, I'm so confortable playing Uncharted on my couch in front of my 46" TV...). And that the way it's been since the PS2 launched.
And that's why the Vita will fail ( not miserably, but it won't succeed either ), because it's so powerful that real console games can be successfully ported over. But this is 2012 my friends, people aren't wood any longer by spectacular graphic, they have iphones, ipads, galaxies and so on. People want fun , unique and original games that can't be played on a frigging phone !
I could be interested to play good Vita exclusive games ( if there will be any ) comfortably laying on the couch in my house, I certainly wouldn't bring it outside, if I were to get one.
But then again I could do just that with the liter, bigger Wii U controller, so why bother ? ;)
Nintendo will always be king of the handled market, they just got the right formula.

No, no, you only hit the nail half-way. And even then, that's barely half-way. The problem isn't graphics. Graphics sell a game, a lot of times. Maybe not to us who actually are "gamers" ,or play more than one series.

And it's not that "graphics are too good", either. It's price. Remember when the PSP Go launched? It launched for as much as a PS3 cost. That was a case of "Why buy this when I can buy a console that can do infinitely more?" PSVita launched around the same price, $250-$300. Mind you, the 3DS did that too, but it also had the ENTIRE(minus 3) Nintendo DS library to back it up until it got sales.

Even with that, even with games on it, as before the price drop, it had plenty of them, it still did not pick up sales until it dropped in price. Because the price was far too close to what a console costs. Would you rather pay $250-$300 for a PSVita(or 3DS, as was the case) or for a PS3/360/Wii? And the Vita doesn't have anything besides a handful of games on the PSN. There is simply no reason to buy into it yet. None at all.

3DS, however, once it hit $170, it's sales picked up. I don't have numbers, so I don't want to say skyrocketed, but as once that happened, Nintendo actually started supporting the damn thing...I'm inclined to believe they did.

And then factor in the still failing economy. The PSVita has no games yet. It doesn't even have a previous consoles' library to hold it above the water for a while. Thus again, why spend the money on something you will, for now, get limited usage from?

It's a price issue. Not a too-high-powered-graphics issue.

Reactions: 2 people

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah! Theres that other point brought up and it was one of the biggest faults sony has made with the vita.
They didnt keep backwards compatability.
That is another thing that has slain the vita in sales. The 3DS can support the whole multitude of games the DS had to offer. The vita? You can download a few of the old games you had for your psp. Those UMD'S? I guess they expect you to run along to gamestop and sell em for more vita stuffs. Unless you held onto your psp when you bought a vita, your UMD'S arent worth a thing anymore, and that was just bad thinking on sony's part.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect a one-day jump on August 28 because of sports fans buying it for Madden. 3DS isn't getting Madden this year.
While that true, (and mess up since how they treated the first one at launch) the 3ds is getting other sports games.
your UMD'S arent worth a thing anymore

They really didn't have a choice. UMD'S are big, easily breakable, and too slow.
Speed of loading would have took a big hit with them.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect a one-day jump on August 28 because of sports fans buying it for Madden. 3DS isn't getting Madden this year.
While that true, (and mess up since how they treated the first one at launch) the 3ds is getting other sports games.
your UMD'S arent worth a thing anymore

They really didn't have a choice. UMD'S are big, easily breakable, and too slow.
Speed of loading would have took a big hit with them.
They had the UMD passport program in Japan though not all the companies allowed it. The rest of the world really got screwed....

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Ah! Theres that other point brought up and it was one of the biggest faults sony has made with the vita.
They didnt keep backwards compatability.
That is another thing that has slain the vita in sales. The 3DS can support the whole multitude of games the DS had to offer. The vita? You can download a few of the old games you had for your psp. Those UMD'S? I guess they expect you to run along to gamestop and sell em for more vita stuffs. Unless you held onto your psp when you bought a vita, your UMD'S arent worth a thing anymore, and that was just bad thinking on sony's part.
It's illogical to have a UMD disc drive on the Vita as these formats are chunky, fragile and slow.

They COULD offer a "Passport Program" in the West, where you could redownload those titles at a minor cost instead of buying them whole. This is only offered in Japan, sadly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr