Sony 4K movie downloads are 100 GB+ (no typo).

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:arrow: http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/28/4...ll-work-with-ps4-require-100gb-plus-downloads
Molyneux said that typical 4K movies would be "100 gigabytes and plus" depending on length, and added that file size and average broadband speeds are "challenges that we have to work through... we've got some very good ideas that will make that a comfortable consumer experience."
100Gb is WAAAAAAAAAY too big in my opinion for me. Even if I didn't have 60kb/s, and went back to my old 2,000 kb/s speed, that would still just be too long to download a movie which would last maybe 2-3 hours tops.

Here's some other information on 4K TV pricing:
The largest 4K TV found so far is a Sony model, and is 152″ large and costs £380,000 (~$495,000).
The smallest 4K TV found so far is a Sharp model, and is 32″ large for around £2800 (~$3,700).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ya, my PS3 is still hooked up to a CRT and I don't see it changing anytime soon. Even if I had a 4K TV, though, that filesize is just not worth it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the real question now is how big that hard drive is.

Hell even on a 500GB HD (which is the largest the PS3 currently offers) you'd run out of space really quickly between a movie or two and some game downloads (surely PS4 games will be even larger than PS3 ones). I wouldn't be surprised if they started packing 1TB hard drives.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not powerful enough for 4K gaming? I see

Nice, eh I can't see my family getting a 4K TV anytime soon. It will take a while before it gets popular imo. Another 4-5 years.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
While the size is big, who thought about 4.7 GB DVDs being huge a few years ago? I still remember downloading a single album for ages even though the size was quite a bit smaller compared to FLACs. I'd imagine the tech will be available in the end, but 4K is a thing for the early adopters only at the moment. If the console supports USB 3.0 HDDs for downloaded content, it's kinda moot since upgrading the HDD is possible. Just compare the HDD sizes of the original PS3 and FullHD content. Can't really fit that many into the 20 GB. :I

As an owner of a 12Mbps+ connection, I don't fear 100GB files one bit.
Ditto. Don't see the problem especially if fiber connections become more popular.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over