Sonic to take SXSW 2018 by storm - SEGA

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Feb 3, 2018.

1. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    Hoping for more news from Whitehead's team.
    Maybe a DLC for Mania?

HaloEliteLegend and shaunj66 like this.
  2. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    i agree, but it was also nice that most stages had such a difference between act 1 and 2, some felt like separate zones. Im greatful we got some mad hydrocity remixes though

BORTZ likes this.
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    What is SXSW? I never heard of that before. :unsure:

Noctosphere likes this.
  4. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    Yea id like to know too, but i was too ashamed to ask, afraid of beiung called NEWB NOOB

5. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Brexit
    South by Southwest (SXSW) is an annual conglomerate of film, interactive media, and music festivals and conferences that take place in mid-March in Austin, Texas, United States

6. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I dunno if i should be ashamed that a person not from our country knows more about things here than I do. :ninja:

Anyway thanks for explaining, make sense that she would be attending, sound like Texas has some good expos, not just california or New York. :)

Chary likes this.
  7. Spectral Blizzard
    This message by Spectral Blizzard has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 3, 2018, Reason: Can we stop this. Like, seriously. Stop it..
    Feb 3, 2018
  8. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Feb 21, 2004
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    I hadn't heard of the Plus branch for Mania so I'm all the way down for more Mania. If it is something different and not from taxman, stealth and company then I pretty have no faith in it after seeing Forces.

9. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Isn't SXSW a film festival? I just immediately thought of the Sonic movie, Mario and Detective Pikachu's movies are in motion anyways. So an upcoming era of video game-to-animated movie adaptations is coming, Sonic has to squeeze into that. If so, please have Jaleel White voice Sonic, again.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'll be fully satisfied with either a new main series game or a Forces 2. I realise that I'm in the minority here, but I thoroughly enjoyed Forces, I think it's a great concept that they could've taken much further.

Garblant likes this.
  11. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    It started as a film festival, now it's a sort of everything festival, with certain days dedicated to gaming and music.

Spectral Blizzard likes this.
  12. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

GBAtemp Patron
    MajinCubyan is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    Thats badass, have fun @Chary and have you ever been before?

Fun fact: My cousin's old rap crew played at SXSW many years ago.

CeeDee, Spectral Blizzard and Chary like this.
  13. Spectral Blizzard

Spectral Blizzard GBATemp's Only Racist Stereotypical Feminist

Banned
    Jun 17, 2017
    United States
    Everywhere
    Goddammit, they could have made it better over the course of 10 years like Square did.

14. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    What did you enjoy about the game? I been trying to find a good source of a recommendation for it but most of it seem divided between creating custom avatars and the actual game being "hold forward, quick time events, hold forward, jump a few times." Can't really find a decent idea of if is good or not cause it seem heavily biased on somethings. :unsure:

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Yeah, welcome to boost-style gameplay. The game *does* consist of holding forward and occasionally pushing a button, but you most certainly can be either good or bad at it. The fact that you finished a stage doesn't mean that it was easy if you missed half of the pick ups. Forces is short because it's all about repeat gameplay, finding loadouts that work well on the stage, fighting against the clock and collecting all of the special rings. There's 2D sections for players who don't know how to go fast - I do, and I like it. Some of the missions are particularly difficult and require extensive map knowledge, Classic Sonic Ghost Town under 60 seconds comes to mind. It took me an hour or two before I found the perfect path and nailed the time, so anyone who claims that the game is just "press right to win" did just that - walked to the end and watched the outro. To me the game's all about getting those sweet S Ranks, finishing missions and unlocking more and more threads for my avatar, that's all it was meant to be and it's doing that just fine.

16. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Sonic forces in all regards wasn't that bad. It wasn't a great game but people just like to hate on Sonic games

17. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    I'd pay good money for more classic Sonic.
    Whether that be a classic collection on console/PC, more Mania content, or something new, it'd be awesome to see something good

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It also wasn't a full-price game either, it was obviously a side story, similar to Black Knight or Secret Rings. It had a gimmick, the avatar, and it sold that gimmick well. I'd be perfectly happy if there was *no* Sonic in Sonic Forces, they reintroduced him way too early. I was happy enough playing as the underdog, it gave the game tension that other installments lack. There's something about starting off as a schmuck and gaining new abilities along the way that's appealing, and those new abilities warrant retrying previous stages to pick up things you might've missed. There was plenty there, and although it's not perfect, there's definitely a strong bias against Sonic titles recently. Not without reason, they're not perfect games, but the criticism is in excess of what they deserve. I assume certain Youtubers fuel the hate, but I'm fine with that - I ignore reviews anyways.

DarthDub and kumikochan like this.
  19. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    yeah i def agree with all of that

20. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Sonic Team has a horrendous track record of making shitty Sonic games. They've been like this since forever. Sonic Mania was the saving grace of SEGA back in 2017 and that wasn't even developed by Sonic Team.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It was supposed to be the next best 3D Sonic game and it failed hard. It doesn't matter it wasn't full-priced or it wasn't "that bad", the game flopped at what it should have achieved.

21. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    IIRC Gens (maybe Colors too) wasn't full priced, not sure if that argument holds up