Sonic the Hedgehog's voice actor is leaving the role after 10 years of work

Sonic-Colors.jpg

The voice actor for Sonic the Hedgehog seems to be moving on from his role as the blue blur. Roger Craig Smith posted on Twitter saying that 10 years had been "an amazing run" and that he would be going on to new zones. He began his tenure as Sonic's voice actor starting with Sonic Colors, taking over for previous actor Jason Griffith, and would reprise the role in each of the following games including the most recent mainline title, Sonic Forces. Beyond the Twitter post, there hasn't been any other information as to who will be taking over the position.

:arrow: Source

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I doubt it’ll be much of a precedent; Mario basically has to talk for movies and TV shows, and the only games where he says more then his basic set of vernacular afaik are Hotel Mario and the educational games which weren’t really trying to be mainline Mario games.
Mario himself maybe not, but the 3DS Warioware game had a fully voice acted Wario by Charles Martinet.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't oppose Ben Schwartz getting the voice in games as well. It might be a little jarring at first, but I think I'd get used to it and like it real quick.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
No offense but i wouldn't miss him,he did a mediocre job outside the boom universe
"No offense, but here's an offensive statement."

Also only one instance of some one in this topic mentioning Drummond, every one else mentioning Griffith. Man am I an old geezer what am I doing here on this fancy new dangle website I need to go clean my dentures or something

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also only one instance of some one in this topic mentioning Drummond, every one else mentioning Griffith. Man am I an old geezer what am I doing here on this fancy new dangle website I need to go clean my dentures or something
The difference between Drummond and Griffith isn't nearly as jarring as Griffith and Smith.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nothing unusual... he's not he first one. I loved more voice actors from Sonic Adventure 2 era, especially Shadow's voice actor.

SailorLuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i still haven't seen the Sonic Movie (for personal reasons/life complications but i rlly want to!) so i didn't know there was a different VA in that, i assume they'd be the next one then.

and on the topic of Mario talking, there's alot of non-game content (NYC store events, promo material, cons, etc) where Charles is speaking as both bros in full sentences (and sometimes for like ~10 minutes when i've been) which not alot of ppl seen to know about, so i think a full-speaking Mario movie would be fine ;)

and if they don't cast him we riot

Reactions: UltraSUPRA

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sad, but just imagine if Charles Martinet would do the same! :wtf:
Dude no ... don't even go there :O

But seriously after such a long time I do hope they find a sold replacement.
Sonic has always had a certain tone around him, which we all have grown to love.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I usually just get use to Sonic's voice, that said, I hope they don't do movie Sonic just for the sake of keeping the games and movie separated.

Not to mention, the Sonic in the games are pretty experienced and matured at this point. I mean, he could adjust to that for the games, but still.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?