Sonic r255 Released - Best Looking DS Homebrew Game Yet ?

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
It scares me how someone this smart isn't already employed by Nintendo.

You'd be amazed how many post-graduate game students each year don't end up finding work for a year or more simply because they can't break in. This guy is probably in a similar situation (3D environments like this isn't childs play, rest assured), and so is using this as a means of getting his name out there.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Incredible. (for anyone mildly interested, the screenshot does not do this justice, download the demo now)

There are serious problems with Draw Distance however, even when going into houses there are draw distance problems, which shouldn't happen.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
ferrariman said:
Oh my god. That's a Homebrew? other than the crappy font, I would have thought that was a commercial game.

The font (and associated text) is obviously just giving technical and debug information, I doubt it will be in any final product.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good lord. I watched just a little bit of the video and this is the most impressive 3D I've seen in anything non-commercial, and even then that looks pretty damn good compared against what you can go out and buy.

I don't care about the eventual size of the file, but if it can run that well for the finished product...I'm sold.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Teej said:
You'd be amazed how many post-graduate game students each year don't end up finding work for a year or more simply because they can't break in. This guy is probably in a similar situation (3D environments like this isn't childs play, rest assured), and so is using this as a means of getting his name out there.
According to the site, the author already has a job and is just doing this stuff as a hobby. Maybe he's looking to change jobs, I don't know, but I hope he's just doing it for fun. That would make it more likely that the project will get completed and become something really cool (whether that means a game or a tool for making games) rather than just remaining a promising demo. Of course, who knows how long it will take to be usable for others since it's just a hobby, but whatever.

...word is bondage...

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Xeijin said:
There are serious problems with Draw Distance however, even when going into houses there are draw distance problems, which shouldn't happen.
Draw distance problems? I think he just uses fog to cover up the rendering of the outside world, but there was no seperate script for inside, so the fog still appears in the room.

woland84

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
After playing with it for a while I must say I'm impressed
biggrin.gif
. This really looks better then many commercial 3d games.
yaynds.gif

Lets hope author makes some game out of this project not just an engine.

Draw Distance is not such a big problem - on older platforms it looked worst. Plus you have to remember that DS is underpowered according to current standards and this is just a homebrew in early stage of development.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Killermech, your video isn't working.

I really hope he adds some point to this game. It'd be a shame if the creator quits the project.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
awdofgum said:
Killermech, your video isn't working.

I really hope he adds some point to this game. It'd be a shame if the creator quits the project.

Weird, it's working over here.
Here's a direct link to it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlmfSEJwEeg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool