Sonic Origins shows up on South Korean ratings board

cMPUrcoTKvKYEmdXBOtcVHPi.jpg

Almost a year ago, we saw the reveal of Sonic Origins, which was shown off briefly at 2021's Sonic Central stream. Following its announcement, there's been zero mention of the game by SEGA, and no further information has been given about the game, which collects together Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, and CD with new features and widescreen support. If SEGA won't give the fans more news, then at least the South Korean ratings board will: Sonic Origins is still in the works, and has been unsurprisingly given an "all ages" rating for release on PC.

In the past, getting a rating through the South Korean Game Rating and Administration Committee usually leads to an official announcement very shortly after, so we can likely expect to see some news about the collection soon.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by shaunj66,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a sonic collection but i hope knuckles chaotix gets added too since it's never been rereleased as far as i know.

Reactions: zfreeman

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
This Korean rating board is way better in quantity and accuracy than any Youtube/Twitter leaker.

About the games that are coming, I don't know, I like 8bit sonic a lot, and sonic mania a lot, but the main 2D series for whatever reason never amazed me.

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sooo this is just a rerelease of all the classic Sonic titles with nothing new outside of what's been published previously? If there's nothing new I don't really understand the point of this

samedifference

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooo this is just a rerelease of all the classic Sonic titles with nothing new outside of what's been published previously? If there's nothing new I don't really understand the point of this
Supposedly, these are going to be the enhanced mobile ports, not emulated versions.. including a new port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. None of these have been released on consoles/PC officially aside from Sonic CD.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well that's just not true. There have been many collections with sonic 1 and 2 in them and I know back in the day sonic 3 and knuckles were released for old versions of Windows.
He’s referring to the Taxman/Retro Engine remakes that were done on mobile first rather than emulations and the old PC port. The new engine brings the awesome widescreen and enhancements along and deserved this release for quite some time.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It should be noted that at no point have SEGA confirmed that these are using the Taxman ports.

It could possibly be an entirely new remaster either in their own new engine or ported from the original Mega Drive source code. This was done before in the PC rerelease back in the 90s.

Time will tell though

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It should be noted that at no point have SEGA confirmed that these are using the Taxman ports.

It could possibly be an entirely new remaster either in their own new engine or ported from the original Mega Drive source code. This was done before in the PC rerelease back in the 90s.

Time will tell though
Sega could do a good job but I’d be pretty disappointed if they went in-house and didn’t meet the same quality. It’s possible they just licensed it too as I imagine they had staff involved on Mania to some degree.

Reactions: shaunj66

HiSaturnV

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
saturnsh2x2.ml
XP
Country
United States

Time will tell though
According to one conversation I've read on REMS (the Retro Engine Modding Server), its said that Evening Star isn't involved with Origins, with the source being... in REMS (exact words). That said, a Decomp Assistant was the one making this claim. I tried looking further for any more substantial claims of this in the chat history, but the server is kind of an organizational mess and looking for better proof reminded me of why a Discord server isn't a proper replacement for a forum, so I gave up after a while. YMMV for this one.

Kind of a shame if this is the case, though, considering that the Retro Engine was designed to be rather portable, as shown with all the decomp ports to consoles.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
According to one conversation I've read on REMS (the Retro Engine Modding Server), its said that Evening Star isn't involved with Origins, with the source being... in REMS (exact words). That said, a Decomp Assistant was the one making this claim. I tried looking further for any more substantial claims of this in the chat history, but the server is kind of an organizational mess and looking for better proof reminded me of why a Discord server isn't a proper replacement for a forum, so I gave up after a while. YMMV for this one.

Kind of a shame if this is the case, though, considering that the Retro Engine was designed to be rather portable, as shown with all the decomp ports to consoles (including Switch).
I heard the same thing about Evening Star denying being involved via Discord. It could be that Christian Whitehead and Stealth are working on these under their old banners outside of Evening Star's involvement perhaps? (Stealth has even had a TBA title on his games page since around the time of Origins announcement).

All speculation of course. However that said, I wouldn't mind if these are completely new ports because as good as the Retro engine ports are, they aren't 100% accurate to the originals and it often throws me off when alternating between the two.

Reactions: CeeDee

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very curious to what extent these games will be updated. Like we know they'll all be playable in native widescreen. But will Sonic 1 offer the spindash? Will every game offer the drop dash? Will Sonic 2 include Hidden Place Zone from the mobile version? I hope they do have all of these things in the collection.

Reactions: Vorde and Jonna

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free