Sonic Fails In Japan

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hadrian, Oct 20, 2007.

Oct 20, 2007

Sonic Fails In Japan by Hadrian at 9:19 PM (4,689 Views / 0 Likes) 49 replies

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Looks like Japan has lost all of its love for Sonic! His latest DS game Sonic Rush Adventure has currently sold a really lousy 1,500 copies over there! This is pretty bad news for Sega, this is a big franchise probably their biggest and to see it not do so well on Sega's home turf, on a platform like the DS which EVERYONE must have over there cannot please them one bit. It even got good scores from Famitsu (8, 7, 8, 9) so this must really be a shock to those at Sega.

Looks like years of lousy games have taken its toll on the Japanese though his first DS game was pretty good.

Now there was talk from Sega about "reinventing" Sonic and giving him a rest for a while but then shortly after they announced this game, Sonic Rivals 2 , Sonic & Mario & Sonic Lame Riders 2 so I guess its only a rest from the normal home console platformers.

News is from GoNintendo who got it off a German site but the news there was erm in German so erm link to those: http://gonintendo.com/?p=27672

2. Ducky

Member Ducky QUACKJECTION!

Israel
    Damn...

Sonic has a childhood part in me.. Don't want it to die! Even though I don't like it's games O.o

3. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Hopefully it's a blessing in disguise. I yearn for Sonic to go back to his routes. While Rush 1 and 2 are good games.. They're still not real Sonic in my eyes, all this trick nonsense and more than over-the-top speed are not what I loved about the first games.

I'd LOVE to see a side scrolling 2D Sonic on the 360 or something, done with widescreen 3D graphics but on a 2D plain. A proper remake of all the 2D mega drive Sonic's done in this way in one huge game would be awwwwwwwwweeeeeeeesome.

4. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I agree, while Sega went on about Sonic being fast and EXXXXXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEME during the MD/Genesis days I always thought the games were more than that. Now they are still fun (2D ones anyway) but its press a direction and hold and then jump occasionally.

Lacks the magic of Sonic 1-3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic CD. Sonic Advance was probably the last one that was more than a rollercoaster style game.

5. shadowboy

Member shadowboy :D

United States
    R.I.P. Sonic, we will miss you [​IMG]

Hopefully sega will go back to the roots, although I would love another GOOD SA2 Style game.

6. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    The MegaDrive games were good, but I'm very happy with the new Sonic games (well, that means Sonic Advance, Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure). I think Sonic Rush was the best Sonic-game ever made. I hope Sega continues like this, even if the Japanese don't like it.

7. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    sonic 1 2 and 3 for the genisis were great classics everything other sonic titles just plain suc

8. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 a helluva lot more than the Genesis games, though the Genesis games were great, too. Every other Sonic game I just can't stand, for some reason. 'tis a shame, really.

9. shaunj66

United Kingdom
    I rented the 360 one a while ago because I'm a Sonic fan. I know it got bad reviews but I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was.

JESUS FUCK it was bloody terrible.

I couldn't even stand to complete the FIRST level, it was just really that bad. It went straight back to the store. I really could not stand it.

10. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Yeah, the 360 one made me die a little on the inside and cry. It was probably the worse game I've played in years. Up there with Shadow the Hedgehog. Oh wait a second I see a connection. [​IMG]

11. bumjeans

Member bumjeans GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Sonic wasa big part of my childhood too.

I have only just discovered Rush and I think it is excelelnt. I much prefer it over NSMB as a platformer.

Cant wait to get stuck into SRA

12. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    lol, kinda off-topic but, Gaistudo needs to mod himself, his sig is huge [​IMG]

AAANNNNYYYWWWAAAYYYYSSSS

i would love to have a sonic 2D on the 360 or something cause DS is too small for me [​IMG]

13. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Sonic R was the blue boys finest moment [​IMG]

14. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    One of the things that annoys me about the new Sonic series was the whole, "hey, let's trawl Deviantart and use a fanfic character in out new game".

This was why I wasn't happy about Sonic being in Brawl. But damn, 1500 copies in Japan?

15. shaunj66

United Kingdom
    If only for the sound track. No. Serious. The R OST rocked. [​IMG]

The game was pretty good actually. I spent hours on that game. It controlled fairly well for a racer.

16. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal

Everybody Super Sonic racing
    Gotta keep your feet right on the ground!

Great game, I have it for the PC.

As for Sonic failing in Japan, I think it's because the japanese are tired of him... [​IMG]

17. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I personally think Sonic should just be on WiiWare, 360 Live and that one PS3 has. Just give us some good honest 2D gaming that requires no gimmicks.

I too have play the 360 STH, one of the most disgusting controls I've ever had the displeasure of playing. I really dunno whats up with Sonic Team with that one, its like they've given up and just churning out crap to fill some contract obligation.

18. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Ditto, it's what I've been thinking all along. Rivals has kinda the right idea about the visual aspect of this - it's just a shame the gameplay is all about racing.

19. shadowboy

Member shadowboy :D

United States
    As I think about it... I totally forgot about Secret Rings XD
    That was an amazing title that blended the 2d and 3d forms of sonic together for one hell of a ride. There were some flaws, but nothing a sequel wouldn't fix.

THAT is where this series needs to go, the OTR 3d realm. I would also like a Sonic 3 and Knuckles remake ala the Castlevania Rondo remake for the PSP.

20. Primworm

Member Primworm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wow, I thought Sonic would do fairly well in Japan. Pretty big shocker. One thing, I personally think should happen, although I know it wont, is that Sonic 2, 3, S&K, the combined games, and maybe even sonic CD released for the DS, either together or separate. I would easily shell out for the collection. Anyone agree with me? I know most of the sonic games are on the Virtual Console already, but I want the games on the go, with no homebrew.