Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
For the first time ever, the original games from legendary gaming icon, Sonic The Hedgehog™ will be coming to the Nintendo DS™ system early 2010. Sonic Classic Collection™ gathers together the first four Sonic The Hedgehog adventures - Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles - introducing some of the most influential Sonic titles to a whole new generation of gamers exclusively for the DS.
sonic

Sonic Classic Collection allows fans both old and new to speed through the much loved zones of the four original Mega Drive adventures, in a bid to collect the chaos emeralds and save the world. Optimised to take full advantage of the Nintendo DS system, Sonic Classic Collection will feature a new save anywhere feature, a first in this original series, meaning that the games can be enjoyed anywhere, anytime! Gamers will also be given the chance to expand their knowledge with a wealth of extras including video and collectable pictures that are sure to be fan favourites.
sonic

Sonic Classic Collection for the Nintendo DS™ system will hit stores in March 2010.

4150565404_81da654775_m.jpg
4149805855_087eba3104_m.jpg

4150565748_c1e714cd4f_m.jpg
4150565030_1ab3483722_m.jpg

Just four?

http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2009/12/01/so...buts-on-the-ds/

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
luke_c said:
deanxxczx said:
March?

Bad Sega.
Why is that bad? I was expecting a later release if anything.
Looking forward to this.

I just think Sega are crap with Sonic, homebrew devs can get this out faster then them.
I'm looking forward to the extra's that are in this

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad that 95% of DS owners have probably just emulated these already.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 FTW!

All aside, I will be looking forward to this
smile.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering Jenesis runs all of these apart from the Knuckles in Sonic 1 and 2 extras (which I doubt will be included) I'll pass on this despite being tempted.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
QUOTE said:
For the first time ever, the original games from legendary gaming icon, Sonic The Hedgehog™ will be coming to the Nintendo DS™ system early 2010. Sonic Classic Collection™ gathers together the first four Sonic The Hedgehog adventures - Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles - introducing some of the most influential Sonic titles to a whole new generation of gamers exclusively for the DS.
sonic

Sonic Classic Collection allows fans both old and new to speed through the much loved zones of the four original Mega Drive adventures, in a bid to collect the chaos emeralds and save the world. Optimised to take full advantage of the Nintendo DS system, Sonic Classic Collection will feature a new save anywhere feature, a first in this original series, meaning that the games can be enjoyed anywhere, anytime! Gamers will also be given the chance to expand their knowledge with a wealth of extras including video and collectable pictures that are sure to be fan favourites.
sonic
Sonic Classic Collection for the Nintendo DS™ system will hit stores in March 2010.

deanxxczx said:
luke_c said:
QUOTE(deanxxczx @ Dec 1 2009, 05:51 PM)
March?

Bad Sega.
Why is that bad? I was expecting a later release if anything.
Looking forward to this.

I just think Sega are crap with Sonic, homebrew devs can get this out faster then them.
I'm looking forward to the extra's that are in this
That too?

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Save Anywhere = Savestates on JenesisDS (always seem ok to me only small bugs)

Optimised for DS = No graphics glitches, resized graphics etc. Slight improvement on Jenesis admittedly but not worth it for a mere 4 games.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:

Optimised for DS = No graphics glitches, resized graphics etc. Slight improvement on Jenesis admittedly but not worth it for a mere 4 games.

Maybe the creator of JenesisDS was hired or kidnapped exclusively to do this compilation.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:

Well if done well I guess its not much harm having the DS rom instead of the original roms.

I feel that this is just a cheap cash in, they could do more for it such as ta port of the arcade Sonic game which used a trackball to play. Don't believe that has been released on any retail release and the touchscreen could replace the trackball somewhat, ok not perfect solution but at least it gives us who have seen many Sonic compilations an excuse to be interested in it.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
Considering Jenesis runs all of these apart from the Knuckles in Sonic 1 and 2 extras (which I doubt will be included) I'll pass on this despite being tempted.

As I understand things Jenesis can't play any of the lock-on games, including Sonic 3 + Knuckles combi, which is a pain since that's quite possibly the greatest Sonic game ever created. Two fantastic games fused together to create the 2D platforming equivalent of a multiple orgasm.

Please feel free to explain how I can get such gaming greatness working. I doubt the combi forms will be included in this.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
I said that it doesn't run them Blaze. I believe its down to the size issue as JenesisDS cannot run any games greater than 2-3mb in size (DS RAM constraints) and he appears to have abandoned the project before he could get a streaming system coded in/use of the DS RAM expansion. If you can find any combis below that size it should run them.

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some totally weird comments in this thread. "Just four games?" Well, four of the best platformers ever made. It would be nice to have Sonic CD, but they could have just as easily filled it up with crap. And I'm not sure how many of you have actually played through any of the Sonic games on an emulator, but having to manually move the screen really lessens the experience.

I'll definitely be getting this if it isn't a disaster like the GBA version was...would love for it to do well and see something like a Streets of Rage collection come out as well (one can dream...).

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
MANN, I'm hyped.

But... "Optimized for DS"? This gives me bad memories of how Sega "optimized" Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for the GBA. Hopefully they're emulations. That way stupid 2009 Sega can't fiddle with it.

Even though it's only four games, I'm still content with the included content. Besides, I doubt that the DS could hold all of Sonic CD's Redbook music tracks.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad it is actually official. To be honest, I don't like playing through jenesis, even when I set it to auto-pan the screen with the d-pad, it is still weird to have so much of the screen cut off.

Just hope they don't royally screw it up like they did with the GBA version.

I actually remember buying and playing these games on the real Genesis way back when. It will be nice to have them "officially" on the DS. The music from Sonic 2 is still burned into my brain. Personally, I don't really care about the S&K connection with the older carts that much, just Sonic 2 by itself. To me, after Sonic 2, the games got too cluttered looking. But having the 3 originals is great, S&K is just a bonus to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Ancientboi at it again.