Sonic Classic Collection DS impressions- Nintendo World Report

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by granville, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but i guess this is a fair place to do it. Didn't want to spam up user submitted news or anything. But anyways, some details are now available on the Sonic Classic Collection on DS. From a user perspective that is. A person at Nintendo World Report got a hands on try at a few of the games in the collection. Here's his impressions-

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impress...cfm?artid=21122

So they didn't manage a PERFECT port as it does have some minor slow down, enough to notice. But from his perspective, he feels the game plays like the original and sounds faithful to the music. This game is of course, a compilation of the 4 Genesis Sonic games- Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles. Lock on ability was confirmed earlier for at least Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

This game is releasing on March 3rd in the US. So we'll see soon enough for ourselves. I wanted to post this somewhere for those interested in a real world test. Might want to keep JenesisDS around, just in case. At least it works really well for the Sonic games in case this port sucks! [​IMG]

2. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    This is good news slowdown would suck but i also read earlia this week that sonic the hedgehog 4 is actually coming out in true classic form none of that 3d crap so this post has just made my week complete

3. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I would have preferred a Best of Genesis compilation.

The confirmation of motion sensing controls made me a bit skeptical, but it's gonna be a great game.

4. granville
    OP

United States
    To be totally fair, I'm personally used to slowdowns. I will be posting my impressions of this when it's dumped. I have a VERY sharp eye and will notice anything amiss. You can expect me to tear the port down if it's got issues. I am very good at it too, i've done it for ports before and nothing escapes my notice. Had a lot of practice from the classics too. [​IMG]

5. Terenigma

United Kingdom
    Used to it or not depending on how bad the slowdown is it could tarnish the game as speed is one of the big selling points of sonic but like you im a sonic fan and id notice slowdown in the game especially in 3 as i played that to death. Even so it would be great to have them all in 1 game slowdown or not so ill be keeping a close eye on the release date from now on

6. granville
    OP

United States
    I'm not saying slowdown is ever good, but i've been playing stressful games on subpar pc's for ages, i have developed a tolerance for it. Minor slowdown that is. Like, I can handle a game skipping a few frames more than it normally would, as long as it's not disorienting or a slideshow. And the slowdown in this game is likely not to be a framerate thing so much as just slowmo. I'm curious to get my hands on it. There is no excuse for it though, seeing as all the Sonic games play 60fps at ALL times on JenesisDS... That probably is proof SEGA didn't hire Lordus to make them a DS emulator for Genesis games. His work doesn't suffer from slowdown (in fact 99% of all genesis games never slowed down at all on his emulator).

7. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Welllll, if there's even slowdown in Sonic 2's single-player, I doubt they'll bother to include the multiplay.

8. MarkDarkness

Member MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    I wonder why they don't include some achievements, in-game unlocks, etc... I have no reason to play these yet again.

Hm... Sonic & Knuckles badges. That would be awesome.

9. DeepFriedAsian

Member DeepFriedAsian GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Slowdown...It's like Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for the GBA all over again.

I hope they can fix it before it gets released. Good thing at the beginning he said it was an early build....If this was the retail build I would be pretty annoyed.

10. Dr.Killa

Banned Dr.Killa Banned

United States
    get ready for another sonic the hedgehog genesis...you know, the one on GBA? all because of that, i have no hope in this, my emus on my R4 will probably end up running better than this, especially since there already is reports off slowdown, and they won't fix it, like that GBA game

11. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    I'm still getting the game no matter what. old school games on modern day portables would be nice,it would remind me of when I played my cousin's genesis when I was 4. come to think of it,i still have my genesis in my basement somewhere......hmm... anyway, I heard that 2010 will be a good year for DS/Wii,hoping that this year will be a blast!

12. granville
    OP

United States
    Please stop jumping to conclusions people. The slowdown was cited as minor, not very noticeable. Sonic Genesis had extreme slowdown, and everywhere, not just in select places. Also, Sonic Genesis played badly, the gameplay and physics were all wrong. Plus the glitches were the worst ever. These impressions already sound positive in that respect at least.

It sounds like these are emulated games as opposed to ports or remakes. Which is probably for the best.

13. CyrusBlue

Member CyrusBlue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Everyone is overlooking the fact that what he played was an early build of the game. The port is not done and I'm sure they're gonna work on those minor bugs.

14. Terenigma

United Kingdom
    Put wifi multiplayer in this and id be sold especially if Sonic 3's single player had multiplayer (you remeber how someone could be tails and fly sonic around n such) that'd be so badass. it wont happen but i can dream haha

15. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I would have prefered a Remake, since the game already got ported to so many systems...

Slowdowns are IMO unacceptable! We are talking about nearly 15-20 year old genesis-games!
    I guess the motion sensing controls will be used in special stages, like the touch-screen in Sonic Rush, which IMO was great!

16. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    A remake? How could you remake a game like this? It's already too simple and people would be pretty steamed if something was messed up.

I was speaking of Sonic 4, motion sensing controls have been confirmed on the PS3 and Wii.

17. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    People moaning about occasional slowdown should remember that for sonic 1 in PAL territories the entire game played in 50fps slo-mo!

18. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    Cool, I never knew about this.

19. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    Yeah, and I just assume, that the motion-controls in the Wii/PS3-version of Sonic4 might be used in a similar way to how the Touch-Screen was used in SonicRush: in Special Stages [​IMG] But that`s off topic here anyways...

20. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I figure the Sonic Classics for DS will be fine. The guy said he was playing an early build and if the early build only has minor slowdown, then the final release should have been optimized to eliminate the slowdown. Well, as long as they don't just rush it out the door like they did with the ill-fated GBA Sonic Genesis, and I doubt they'll make that mistake again. That HAD to hurt Sega's credibility quite a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.