Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THE GAME:
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood is a Nintendo DS console role-playing game based on the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. It is being developed by Canadian RPG developer BioWare, which is now part of Electronic Arts. The game is scheduled to be released in 2008 in North America and Europe.
Copyofbg.jpg

A preview of the game was featured in the February 2008 issue of the Nintendo Power magazine, giving details on the game features and confirming its name. It also confirmed that there will be 11 playable characters, but only 7 are known. The interview also states that the game will feature areas and music from previous Sonic games ranging from Emerald Town, Tails Lab and Central City to more classic fields such as Green Hill Zone and Mystic Ruins and new ones like Blue Ridge Zone.

GAMEPLAY:

In the current build of the game, special attacks can be initiated by rhythmically tapping and dragging on indicated locations on the touch screen of the Nintendo DS, much like Elite Beat Agents. These are done using "Fatigue Points", which are similar to "Magic Points" (MP) in other RPGs. The player can also choose which attributes to increase when leveling up, and special attacks are bought using rings as currency. Examples include Sonic buying upgraded shoes. One pair may make him faster in battle, while another may inflict fire damage. The battle system will also allow for team attacks, said of Chrono Trigger, or Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Some characters can perform multiple actions per round. Each team member can perform a special power move that requires you to execute touchscreen commands. It's been said that there will be about 40 combos in the game which involve three or four characters. You can choose which attributes to improve on your characters when they level up.

When in open areas, a map is displayed on the top screen as well as the members of the current team; while inside buildings or caves the top screen reverts to showing an expanded view of the area, the controls will be done through the use of the stylus instead of the d-pad much like Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. As your team members level up, their map abilities will improve, giving access to new areas, implying that not upgrading certain characters could mean missing out on certain hidden secrets on the overworld.

According to the official game site, players will be able to collect different types of Chao with different abilities that will act in a similar fashion that the badges you equip in the Paper Mario series. Players will be able to trade Chao with each other via WiFi connection.

The game will have two acts, one set in a standard Sonic area, while the other will take place in an alternate, darker dimension. There will also be sidequests in the game which can earn extra experience points, and sometimes special items or equipment upon completion. There will be over 20 different areas to explore. One of the areas, Tails' Workshop, is used as the group's headquarters, where party members can be switched around. Also, the game will utilize a dialogue system similar to one of Bioware's previous titles, Mass Effect.

STORY:

Sonic is on vacation from defeating Eggman two years ago. He gets a call from Tails that Knuckles has been kidnapped by a group called the Zoah, and that six Chaos Emeralds are missing.

According to BioWare, Eggman will not be the main villain, but he will be a "more credible bad guy again". The game will also have fully animated cut scenes. According to Nintendo Power magazine, "The second act takes place in a darker world than we're accustomed to seeing in Sonic games".

The game also introduces a new character named Shade. However, at this time it is still unknown what or who Shade is, other than that she is female.

BioWare has stated that they want to expand on the characters and tie up loose ends left by previous installments of the franchise.
Sonicchronicles_shade-1.jpg

Shade, the mysterious new character in her battle armor

What do you think about this game?

distorted.freque

I'm getting mixed signals here!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've never been a fan of Sonic but the gameplay does look interesting. Can't say anything about this game until I've actually played it. It'd be nice if you could also include some screenshots. Only saying this as a suggestion of course.

distorted.freque

I'm getting mixed signals here!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
kais said:
ZeroEXE93 said:
kais said:
Something about that artwork of Sonic looks a bit strange... =/
I agree it's not your usual sonic look.
Well, I agree with you there. Though with how much SEGA has been prmoting Sonic, several cartoon series, games, manga, anime, ect Sonic has went through quite a few art styles and looks.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kais said:
whats wrong with shade the new character
Tails was a pretty good addition for Sonic 2, and Knuckles was okay, but almost all of the new characters they've added since then are irritating and worthless. Pointless gimmicks tacked on in place of actual improvements.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
kais said:
Tails was a pretty good addition for Sonic 2, and Knuckles was okay, but almost all of the new characters they've added since then are irritating and worthless. Pointless gimmicks tacked on in place of actual improvements.
I totally agree with you there. Tails and Knuckles were decent additions but it seems like all the other characters added after that were just added as a gimmick to draw people in with things like panty shots or large cleavages,

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
Destructobot said:
kais said:
I totally agree with you there. Tails and Knuckles were decent additions but it seems like all the other characters added after that were just added as a gimmick to draw people in with things like panty shots or large cleavages,
Knuckles,Tails,Amy,Shadow

Are the best added characters atleast

If you ask me best sonic game ever made is
SONIC HEROES!!!!
why can they make a sequel?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've been a huge sonic fan when I was little, then all of it died when Sonic entered it's "Golden ages".

Hopefully, Bioware can revive Sonic, once and for all.

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya know, I finally start to come around on Sonic's little annoying ass, since I actually enjoyed his latest endeavor "Rush Adventure". Now, those a-holes throw this curve ball. Who the hell knows if it's going to be any good. I certainly think it has the potential to be fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Like not emulating the entire SNES but just a loader and the enhancement chips perhaps even...