Sonic Central stream roundup - Sonic Colors Ultimate and Sonic Origins announced

Here we go, Sonic fans. The stream is here, and SEGA is ready to show us what they've got. Stay tuned for the full announcement coverage.

There will be a musical event for the Sonic series on June 23rd, for the 30th anniversary.

Tokyo 2020 Olympics will feature a Sonic costume that your characters can wear. Launches June 22nd.

Two Point Hospital will have a Sonic pack.

Lost Judgement will have Sonic the Fighters be playable in-game.

Sonic Colors is back. Sonic Colors Ultimate launches September 7th, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch. It will also be on PC, as an Epic Games Store exclusive.

A new project called Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps will be a short two-episode animation special to promote the launch of Sonic Colors Ultimate. Sort of like Sonic Mania Adventures, the animation is 2D, and features Roger Craig Smith as the voice of Sonic once more. Episode 1 will be out this summer.

Just as the rumors foretold, Sonic Origins is teased, compiling the first five classic Sonic games, with a major reveal that they're finally addressing Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, which will be part of the collection. More information is coming later this year. There will be extra additions and inclusions, though they were not specified. It'll have Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, and CD.

Sonic 1, 2, and CD appear to be the Taxman versions, or at least feature widescreen support. However, Sonic 3's short footage shows it running at 4:3, unchanged from its original release.

UPDATE: Sonic 3 & Knuckles confirmed to be in 16:9 widescreen - see threadmark.

Sonic Racing for mobile adds classic Sonic.

SEGA discusses how Sonic games are coming to Amazon Luna and PlayStation Now.

The cartoon show Sonic Prime is the next topic. Sonic Prime will premiere next year. It takes place in the Shatterverse.

SEGA plans to release all sorts of toys and merch for the 30th anniversary. There's even jewelry.

Last but not least is the final tease...2022 will be when the next Sonic game launches, for last and current gen platforms. Xbox One, Series X|S, Switch, PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5.The short trailer shows Sonic running in a forest, using some sort of powers. No gameplay is shown. The title may be Sonic Zap, though it's uncertain.

UPDATE:
The social media manager for the Sonic Twitter account confirmed that Sonic 3 will get the widescreen treatment.

Last edited by shaunj66,

Ashramkun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, we have old releades, a sport game, a hospital game, mobile games and a lot of phisical merchandise. For me, all I want is a good new platform game like Sonic Mania 2. I find it strange that they always deliver a lot of stuff that fans don't need or at least don´t care. A hospital game? Really?

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems the Epic exclusivity deal was a late change, you can find leftovers of Steam art within the page footer folder.
ctjhbxM.jpg

Also, it might end up coming out on Stadia
AntHzxI.jpg

The whole image folder, if you guys want to check it. They did a pretty bad job by allowing indexing here.
https://colors.sonicthehedgehog.com/img/
if that's the case then it might be a timed exclusive

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Makes me wonder if that version of Sonic 3 in that collection is gonna be that fabled tech demo version aka the thing Mania was built on

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes me wonder if that version of Sonic 3 in that collection is gonna be that fabled tech demo version aka the thing Mania was built on
Considering it's been confirmed to be widescreen, and the other games had Taxman/Stealth gameplay shown, I'd be shocked if they weren't all using Retro Engine versions of the games. Would make the music replacement for Sonic 3 a lot easier, too.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were expecting a direct for a mascot who has been infamous for having a rough history to blow you away or something, I feel like you only have yourself to blame. Especially following the past year and knowing that Sonic Team already doesn't have the greatest development track record.

Besides collabs with other games and a nothing teaser, Colors: Ultimate is surprisingly super mixed. EGS aside, making mods more difficult, its "upgrades" and movie Sonic focus are just gonna be unfortunate. I just wish it wasn't named "Ultimate."

MochaMilk

That one weird Furry Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Colors Ultimate is what 3D All-Stars should had been. Updated visuals, customization, extended content, FPS boost, etc
I don't understand all the hate behind Colors Ultimate when people were praising 3D All-Stars for giving the bare minimum.

Rerated89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic colors was a fire game but I really don't see why a reason to make a remaster version of it. But I'm pretty excited for that new sonic game that's coming out in 2022. hopefully it want be a complete failure like most games of now are.

legaiaflame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's rumors surfacing from a potential leak that the new Sonic game (Sonic Rangers) is an open world Breath of the Wild-like exploration game. Basically, you have Sonic in an open world, exploring, solving simple puzzles, fighting enemies and going to special stages to get emeralds. The guy states there were even little Korok-like rock creatures Sonic finds hidden throughout the world...I don't know how I really feel about this but if done well it might be interesting or really boring for a Sonic game...

But, The play tester in the leak said the game was incredibly boring LoL! Said there was nothing to do...

jmrodrigues

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
SEGA development seem to have frozen in time. It's a miracle how they still exist.
They should at least try to do what Nintendo does with Mario and Sony with Ratchet.

Last edited by jmrodrigues,
Reactions: shaunj66

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There's rumors surfacing from a potential leak that the new Sonic game (Sonic Rangers) is an open world Breath of the Wild-like exploration game. Basically, you have Sonic in an open world, exploring, solving simple puzzles, fighting enemies and going to special stages to get emeralds. The guy states there were even little Korok-like rock creatures Sonic finds hidden throughout the world...I don't know how I really feel about this but if done well it might be interesting or really boring for a Sonic game...
that sounds absolutely fucking terrible. fighting enemies and solving puzzles so what it's an rpg now? Is sonic going to be using swords and armor that breaks? they already gave him a sword once and look what happened!

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

legaiaflame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LoL! They can't even get the Sonic Formula right so, after all these years that's the best they can come up with: copying a Zelda game. Just like how they copied Mario Galaxy when they made Sonic Lost World. They can't even make something original!

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2