Sonic Central broadcast happening tomorrow, as fans plead for SEGA to delay Sonic Frontiers

In lieu of showing up at a specific Summer press conference, SEGA will be taking to hosting a new Sonic Central event. The broadcast will detail the future projects, partnerships, and events regarding the franchise for the rest of 2022. It'll go live on June 7th at 9am PT/12pm ET.

This will be going on amidst the recent gameplay showcases for Sonic Frontiers, SEGA's next mainline Sonic game. Following IGN's exclusive reveal of two new trailers, concerned fans took to social media, where the hashtag #DelaySonicFrontiers began to trend. The first trailer focused on the open-world level design and general gameplay and was received fairly negatively, with the second trailer highlighting the combat, which caused even more outrage, ranging from fans claiming Sonic's animations were too stiff and unfinished, to the world being lifeless and empty, jokingly compared to fanmade "x series in Unreal Engine" videos.

Right now, Sonic Frontiers is slated to release by the end of this year. Sonic Origins, which is a collection of the series' most beloved retro games, will be out at the end of the month, on June 23rd.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guess I'll just look for fangames projects for that "Open world" Sonic game I've been always thinking of.
Frontiers don't be seeing too promising, looks more like a mod to me, imo.

I remember ages ago seeing some dude basically porting Peach's Castle from Galaxy in this, like, open world Sonic engine and it was so cool, wish anyone would like port the map of Crazy Taxi on some fan Sonic engine or something.
It was rad driving down them streets in them crazy taxies, imagine running all over the place as Sonic, heh.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, let's see what sega's next move is. Delay the game or proceed as planned? It feels weird to see something like this. More like sega doesn't know what to do with sonic in 3D anymore. Is no shame if that's the case. Ask for help or ideas. I seen square enix release demos for Octopath traveler, bravely default 2 and that triangle strategy game. Just to have a survey on opinions and such. It seems like people feel shameful or something for doing that. It's not the worst thing you know.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, let's see what sega's next move is. Delay the game or proceed as planned? It feels weird to see something like this. More like sega doesn't know what to do with sonic in 3D anymore. Is no shame if that's the case. Ask for help or ideas. I seen square enix release demos for Octopath traveler, bravely default 2 and that triangle strategy game. Just to have a survey on opinions and such. It seems like people feel shameful or something for doing that. It's not the worst thing you know.

They could "you know" go back to the awesome 2d that everyone loved and add a good story/well made boards and most would be happy. (I AM LOOKING AT YOU TOO MARIO.) 3d does not make a good game. A good game is good in 3d or 2d. It depends on the game not the graphics. When will companies figure that out.

Reactions: Vorde

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand why people are asking for a delay, but I’m not convinced a delay will be enough to fix what people are complaining about. Like, Halo Infinite was delayed a whole year and I hear it still came out lacking. I’ll still give this game a fair shot though.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I mean, albeit the game looks interesting, it doesn't feel like a Sonic game to me at all. The combat more than unpolished seems to me way too complex for Sonic. Sonic should feel simple, as complex as using homing attacks and spin dashes being enough for the base player. Even Mario built everything until now on a simple gameplay with more complex moves added for expert players only.

Then the world itself is yet again trying to copy a Nintendo Game and, as a result, doesn't feel like Sonic at all. Yet another Sonic game that feels like a Sonic spinoff.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
I keep thinking at some point people will just realize that Sonic was never a good game, and if that isn't the case, it was like 2 games out of 30 that were decent.
list of good sonic games:
sonic 1 2 and 3 with knuckles (cd is debatable)
adventure 1 & 2 (excluding adventure 1 dx. Due to the port causing a lot of issues. and even worse on the pc version via steam since it ports the xbox 360 version, which was a port of the pc cd version, which is a port of the gamecube version, which is a port of the dreamcast version)
sonic unleashed (Fans have reconciled with the werehog and realize it's not that bad, it's just not fit for sonic)
sonic generations
sonic mania
sonic rush 1 & 2
Sonic colors ds & wii

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess I'll just look for fangames projects for that "Open world" Sonic game I've been always thinking of.
Frontiers don't be seeing too promising, looks more like a mod to me, imo.

I remember ages ago seeing some dude basically porting Peach's Castle from Galaxy in this, like, open world Sonic engine and it was so cool, wish anyone would like port the map of Crazy Taxi on some fan Sonic engine or something.
It was rad driving down them streets in them crazy taxies, imagine running all over the place as Sonic, heh.
Frontiers kinda looks like Sonic was dropped into Xenoblade Chronicles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended