Gaming Sonic CD USA CUE file not working on 3DS

MetalKaiCD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't mix and match your bin and cue files. The cue file is a metadata file that defines how optical disc tracks are set up while the bin file contains the actual data that is burned to disc. The US and Jpn bin files aren't interchangeable, so the cue for one won't work with the other - especially as your versions have the audio as mp3's, and the audio tracks for the two regions are different.
I recommend doing what was mentioned above and go find a verified Redump of the disk.
...alternatives to that would be using ImgBurns rebuild feature, extracting and rebuilding with IsoBuster, or similar software that can rebuild a healthy disk image.

I found a redump version and i played it on my 3ds and i got that frozen menu screen again.

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
okay guys i have done some tests and i was wrong!
The cue wasn't the problem it was the bin files!
What i did was using the bin files from the usa version on the japanese rom and the same thing happened.
I got a black screen!
Well, obviously. All the cue file does is tell the emulator where to find the audio, the game would still work without the cue file.

Reactions: MetalKaiCD

godreborn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to find an example of a cue file with just one bin, but multi-track. however, the dino crisis version I have backed up is in ccd format. I made a single bin file of it, when it came as two bins, but I don't seem to have that version anywhere. I had to have them together or else the anti-modchip patch wouldn't work/fail checksum.

duwen

Old Man Yoshi
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, multi-bin disc image files and images where the audio has been converted to mp3/ogg/etc are only really useful with emulators.
I've replaced anything like that I had for any system where I was likely to play it on real hardware (Sega CD, Neo Geo CD, Playstation), just because getting them to work was always more hassle than just tracking down a decent dump.

godreborn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have the mega man x3 for playstation disc image(s). there are like 32 bin files iirc. I burned the game to a disc, and the audio worked no problem. however, I think something is wrong with my ps2, so I may buy another in September.

MetalKaiCD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to find an example of a cue file with just one bin, but multi-track. however, the dino crisis version I have backed up is in ccd format. I made a single bin file of it, when it came as two bins, but I don't seem to have that version anywhere. I had to have them together or else the anti-modchip patch wouldn't work/fail checksum.

Okay i have no idea how to make it a single bin file.
However i have found a beta version of the american version that has one cue and one bin file.
But still somehow it keeps freezing on the menu screen.

Last edited by MetalKaiCD,
Reactions: godreborn

MetalKaiCD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only problem i have with the japanese sonic CD is that the audio stutters and sometimes the screen is tearing.
But besides that it runs at a great speed.

MetalKaiCD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can't possibly be that difficult to find a single BIN/CUE for Sonic CD.

The 3DS port is supposed to be able to use the data files from the Steam version, isn't it? It's on sale for a dollar at the moment. Your time is surely worth more than that!

Of course its not difficult to find one, i already got many cue files but they all failed.
If there is really no way to make it work i guess i have to stick to japanese version.

duwen

Old Man Yoshi
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Of course its not difficult to find one, i already got many cue files but they all failed.
If there is really no way to make it work i guess i have to stick to japanese version.
You need a BIN and it's corresponding CUE. See my previous comment about not mix-and-matching cue files.

MetalKaiCD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need a BIN and it's corresponding CUE. See my previous comment about not mix-and-matching cue files.

Yes i have seen your comment, i tried that and i no longer get a black screen.
However i still get a frozen sega cd menu screen.

MetalKaiCD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also tried to see if the european version worked and it did!
However this version has no restart option either.

On the american version if you pause the game and press A the level restarts.
So i tried this on the japanese and the european version and nothing happend.
However when i smash all the buttons like a mad man the level restarts?
Strange, so i tried it again this time pressing all the buttons at same time but nothing happend!
But when i click all the buttons like a mad man it somehow works?
I can't find out what buttons i need to press in order for that to happen, i just happens randomly and sometimes nothing happens!

Last edited by MetalKaiCD,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is nothing magical about cue files! You can open any of them up in Notepad and see exactly what's inside! And as has been mentioned, mixing and matching .cue files from different .bin files is just asking for trouble.

Or you can spend one dollar on the Steam version and never worry about it again.

MetalKaiCD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing magical about cue files! You can open any of them up in Notepad and see exactly what's inside! And as has been mentioned, mixing and matching .cue files from different .bin files is just asking for trouble.

Or you can spend one dollar on the Steam version and never worry about it again.

No, i want to find out how i can restart the level in japanese version.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, i want to find out how i can restart the level in japanese version.
Took me like 2 seconds to find the information

Screenshot_20210730-160628_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: godreborn
General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Arguably it's a business investment.