"Sonic CD" is getting a fanmade homebrew port to the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive

The homebrew community is no stranger to amazing achievements, be it hacks of already existing games with entirely new characters, stories and levels, to even outstanding and technically impressive ports of certain titles to other consoles or systems, and this time it's Sonic's time to shine when it comes to fan made ports.

Developer MDTravis has recently unveiled a new trailer for his latest project, this time being a port (or rather a "demake) of Sonic CD into the original Sega Genesis or Mega Drive. This specific port is based on the original v0.02 prototype of Sonic CD, and it not based on the full game. This port is scheduled to released on September 28th, 2024, to align with the start of the Sonic Hacking Contest 2024, which has been an annual contests for fans worldwide to showcase their romhacking or homebrew projects related to everything Sonic.

MDTravis said:
Coming to ‪@SonicHackingContest‬ 2024, a port of CD-SONIC v0.02 to the Sega Mega Drive! And it's more than R11A!
Stay tuned for the official release on September 28!

(R11A meaning Palmtree Panic/Salad Plain (R1) Act 1 (1) Present (A) )
The port is currently being helmed by MDTravis, but a whole lot of other developers and artists are also involved:

The Sonic Hacking Contest 2024 will begin on September 28th and will run until October 6th, which all the entries in the contest being available for users to play. Also, there's also the Expo, which is just a place for developers to showcase their projects while not directly participating in the contest itself. Those interested can also check out The Vault, which servers as an archive of all the previous SHC going all the way back to 2012.
:arrow: Sonic Hacking Contest Website
:arrow: MDTravis Discord Server

DragonMals

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
Trophies
Country
United States
Finally! Now I can enjoy a version of the original CD game without trying to find the game through other means. I still don't understand the definitive way to play it with mods like Sonic 1 Forever or Sonic 2 Absolute. I guess this would be a good novelty to add since it really is based on a prototype

Exnor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Did Sonic CD used any of the extra hardware of the Mega CD besides the CDRom ?

I was under the impression that all the game itself was/is computed by the Mega Drive itself.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Finally! Now I can enjoy a version of the original CD game without trying to find the game through other means. I still don't understand the definitive way to play it with mods like Sonic 1 Forever or Sonic 2 Absolute. I guess this would be a good novelty to add since it really is based on a prototype

Sonic CD is getting a fan remastered version based on the 2011 release, similar to what was done with Forever and Absolute, I think it's called Sonic CD Restored or something like that. Here you go:
https://gamebanana.com/mods/50089

DragonMals

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
Trophies
Country
United States
Sonic CD is getting a fan remastered version based on the 2011 release, similar to what was done with Forever and Absolute, I think it's called Sonic CD Restored or something like that. Here you go:
https://gamebanana.com/mods/50089

Yeah I remember this one alongside the other one if you have Sonic Origins, but it's complicated to setup and everything, provided that you either must have the version that you've gotten from steam, or the one on mobile, but on mobile there are two versions of the game that exist.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really interesting. It's been a while since I've played through Sonic CD, but I think the soundtrack and Special Stages would be the biggest challenges for a conversion like this. Good luck to the team!

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Did Sonic CD used any of the extra hardware of the Mega CD besides the CDRom ?

I was under the impression that all the game itself was/is computed by the Mega Drive itself.

My guess is that Sonic CD is running on the S/MCD's slightly faster M68K CPU (12.5Mhz vs 7.67Mhz), but I know the special stages use the ASIC for it's 'Mode 7' effect, the 'Past' stages use the Richo PCM chip for BGM and of course the consoles SRAM for saves.

RAM is something I'm not sure about as well, because AFAIK you couldn't stream CDDA and data at the same time, so all assets had to be loaded into RAM and couldn't be streamed like they can from a cart. So I question whether good programming could offset any limitations. To be clear, the game does use the S/MCD's RAM, but I'm not sure if in practice it's as much of a hinderence for shifting to cartridge.

In theory with a modern day FPGA, you could create an 'enhancement chip' similar to the MSU-1/Super FX, which could allow for a 'superior' version of Sonic CD whilst retaining the original audio, FMVs, special stages, etc.

Last edited by tech3475,

Scriber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In theory with a modern day FPGA, you could create an 'enhancement chip' similar to the MSU-1/Super FX, which could allow for a 'superior' version of Sonic CD whilst retaining the original audio, FMVs, special stages, etc.

MD+ should cover most of that as it's a 1:1 equivalent of MSU1, although nobody has used the data streaming/FMV capabilities of it yet. Like MSU1 it's mostly used for CDDA type soundtrack replacements. Even so, this "demake" with MD+ functionality would work within the confines of the hack, with regard to using the CDDA audio from Sonic CD and the "restored" PCM audio that was used for the "past" sections.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tried so many times to get into this game, but never really liked it. :/

The anime intro is pretty cool.
Same boat.
No matter what, I just couldn't get into CD at all, not even once.
I only finished it a handful of times, and I didn't have fun in a single one of those.
I only wanted to finish it as soon as possible.

Interestingly enough, I'm having the same experience with Sonic 2 now, I find it insane that some people put Sonic 2 over Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried so many times to get into this game, but never really liked it. :/
You know, some have stated that the stage design is the worst of the Genesis-era Sonic games. I truly don't know how to gauge it, since a central mechanic is knowing where the most straightforward paths are for time travel. This means less room for level-specific gimmicks that games like Sonic 3 are known for.

I guess I'm easier to please, but it also occurs to me that I haven't had the urge to replay Sonic CD in ages. To be honest, I still don't know how it all works. Do you go into the Past and Future to destroy one machine each? I remember there's the "dual-layered one with lasers" one and the "projection of Metal Sonic" one. I'd need an expert to fill me in.

The anime intro is pretty cool.
I haven't watched much anime in my time, but when I picture 90's anime, I think of stuff like this. The animators did an excellent job.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda defeats the reason why SEGA (And especially the half of Sonic Team that made the game since the other half that was Sega Technical Institute made Sonic 2) made Sonic CD on the SEGA CD, doesn't it?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

The homebrew community is no stranger to amazing achievements, be it hacks of already existing games with entirely new characters, stories and levels, to even outstanding and technically impressive ports of certain titles to other consoles or systems, and this time it's Sonic's time to shine when it comes to fan made ports.

Developer MDTravis has recently unveiled a new trailer for his latest project, this time being a port (or rather a "demake) of Sonic CD into the original Sega Genesis or Mega Drive. This specific port is based on the original v0.02 prototype of Sonic CD, and it not based on the full game. This port is scheduled to released on September 28th, 2024, to align with the start of the Sonic Hacking Contest 2024, which has been an annual contests for fans worldwide to showcase their romhacking or homebrew projects related to everything Sonic.

(R11A meaning Palmtree Panic/Salad Plain (R1) Act 1 (1) Present (A) )
The port is currently being helmed by MDTravis, but a whole lot of other developers and artists are also involved:

The Sonic Hacking Contest 2024 will begin on September 28th and will run until October 6th, which all the entries in the contest being available for users to play. Also, there's also the Expo, which is just a place for developers to showcase their projects while not directly participating in the contest itself. Those interested can also check out The Vault, which servers as an archive of all the previous SHC going all the way back to 2012.
:arrow: Sonic Hacking Contest Website
:arrow: MDTravis Discord Server

DMCA in 3, 2, ...

Reactions: ZeroFX

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda defeats the reason why SEGA (And especially the half of Sonic Team that made the game since the other half that was Sega Technical Institute made Sonic 2) made Sonic CD on the SEGA CD, doesn't it?
It's like adding the PS1 animated scenes to the SNES version of Chrono Trigger via MSU-1. We didn't need to do it, but it's incredibly impressive that we can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Hagrid did the subway diet and lost 60 pounds!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Unfortunately his neck does look like a vagina
    Lol Harry can you use your wand on his neck?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've never read any HP books or seen any HP movies, but I've played a little of Hogwarts video game. Meh. Prob be better if I had seen movies.
    I seen one of the movies, I think it was the X Rated spoof
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've never seen any lord of rings either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi has every copy of lord of the finger staring Betty white
    Best lord of the rings ever
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen all 7 of the Police Academy movies tho. And every episode of Married with Children, so that makes me special.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We know you're special and that's okay
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    nighty night. New COD is good, but it gets boring quick, maybe full release will have lots more maps and guns.
    +1
  • Michael-MSL @ Michael-MSL:
    eh a new cod
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea MW6, its in open beta now. Preorder customers, and Xbox gamepass members can dwnload and play it now, till Sept 9th.
  • Michael-MSL @ Michael-MSL:
    @BigOnYa I have not played a cod game in over a decade.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I'm not a big fan of COD either, was always more of a battlefield fan, but that last BF2042 sucked. Hopefully they bring solo story mode back on the next one.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just admit you like the game it won't hurt your erep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    BO6 looks mid
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Doesn't look horrible, but doesn't look great either
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    campaign could be alright, multiplayer will have a bunch of sweats as usual, and so far one zombies map looks like a real zombies map and the other looks like a map to get multiplayer/warzone players into zombies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mw3 fudged up zombies by making it warzone dlc
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Literally just DMZ with zombies in it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Should've had DMX skin instead of snoop Dogg tbh
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Should've had DMX skin instead of snoop Dogg tbh +1