• Total voters

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just wondering what everyone thinks? And why they think that game is better?
EDIT: Forgot all about Diddy Kong Racing, sorry about that, added it to the list
This is for the DS versions of the games only.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could say something, but I can't get it to work... ;_;

I do the ARM7 patch, with Simcity, but I only get a DS Program File, that opens into 2 white screens.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The music in SSASR is a bit annoying... I also think they should have left out the VF characters from the intro... I prefer just the "cartoony" characters... rather than mixed with "real"...

And where is the Diddy Kong Racing option...? I really wanted to choose that! But I chose MK instead...

As for the game play... It is hard to compare. I miss the analogue stick of the N64. I played vast amounts of MK64 & DKR on N64... and the analogue controls beat the DS version hands down.

But comparing only DS versions (which is only fair)... I still prefer DKR or MK....

BTW -- SSASR reminds me of playing Sonic R on the Saturn -- but I would say Sonic R is better...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait why is diddy kong add?

mario has more items

soinc might be better

mario have more karts and it for each person

but sonic has better paths and environment

Which sonic you are all most flying when get hit then to mario kart

items and falling off recovery are much quicker then mario

controls bout the same

sonic does not have the behind boost either

sonic drifting could have been better

both games where you only get the goods stuff when you are losing like star in mario and sonic's star that triggers there inter move.

so it goes to sonic, it just new more cars for each person , more items, and better drifting

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
KingVamp said:
Well looking at it, it's very much the same as those two, so might as well add it as well ^-^
Off Topic, not posting my option yet since I haven't gotten around to playing sonic, past testing it, so it would be unfair to judge it yet
But from what I have played I have to say the controls don't feel as perfect as Mario Kart DS or Diddy Kong Racing DS and I kept driving into the wall, a lot.

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:

Back in the days of N64 -- the topic of much debate was Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing ?

Given that BOTH are now on the DS, the feud continues... and given the release of SSASR, a new contender from Sega has entered the ring *...

* Ring... Sonic... see what I did there...
ph34r.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
KingVamp said:

Back in the days of N64 -- the topic of much debate was Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing ?

Given that BOTH are now on the DS, the feud continues... and given the release of SSASR, a new contender from Sega has entered the ring *...

* Ring... Sonic... see what I did there...
ph34r.gif

okay I get why it should be add
tongue.gif
Yea I see what you did their barely
tongue.gif

Klarkykat

Trophies
XP
Country
Diddy Kong Racing for the DS is a great big stinking pile of mess. Everything about it is inferior to the original. It's weird how it feels like a completely different game even though it has most of the componants of the original. It just feels like a cheap cash-in i suppose (which it is). And they changed Taj's voice.!! I'll never forgive them for that. New-Rare suck donkey balls.

Anyway, i like this new sonic racer shizz. It's loads better than the wii version anyway. The controls are nice and responsive, and the characters and graphics are fun. Of course nothing beats Mario Kart but it's a good enough alternative.

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Klarkykat said:
Diddy Kong Racing for the DS is a great big stinking pile of mess.

True, true... but it makes me smile, as I remember the days of the ol' 64 and analogue Diddy Kong Racing... I loved that game.... still do...

I would vote for it, but I voted before it became an option...

Mario Kart just doesn't give me the same giddy joy as Diddy Kong Racing...

And SSASR? I still prefer Sonic R... (loose controls, but great design)...

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted for everything that wasn't Diddy Kong Racing. I loved the N64 version, but the touchscreen controls in the DS version absolutely ruin it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario Kart: GOOD.

Sonic and SEGA: All-Stars Racing: GOOD-OK. (Reason why is because the game has fewer features than Mario Kart.)
Diddy Kong Racing DS: HORRIBLE.

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easily MKDS. The first DS game I aquired, the DS game that I have easily put the most amount of time into, and one of the only DS games that I still play to this day (I rarely play my DS anymore sadly). It is easily my favorite alliteration of Mario Kart on the market for many reasons. No stupid gimmicks, the game mechanics are flawless, drifting is perfect (snaking adds skill to the game, unlike most Kart racers where drifting is awkward and is too much work). The cast is the perfect size and there is a perfect amount of tracks. There is so much quantity as well, with all of the mission modes and multiplayer modes.

My only gripe with the entire game is that I really dislike the multiplayer stats. A better ranking system (the stars were fucking stupid) would have really encouraged me to play Wi-Fi more. Then again it was the first Wi-Fi game on the system so I guess I can cut Nintendo some slack.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have not played the all stars racing much yet, just tried first cup.

To say, Drifting is hard (to learn at least) in Sonic. I am one of those drifter guys who can snake whole course of any track in Mario kart, get people disconnect because "I am hacking" Unless it is a REAL hacker (who OF COURSE wins over) - unless it is really bad one who will also disconnect on me.

I have not tested much But I bet the wifi is bit better in mario kart DS still, And it has the items and stuff you are fond to use and are used to. also controls are good, and different cars are different to use.

Sonic was hard to steer at first, with the drifting and all (dunno but somehow it feels more like on ice where drift in MKDS is pretty solid - I could drift whole first curve in rainbow road with couple boosts inserted to it) where in sonic it either is not drifting enough (you press only R) or too much (you press directional button with R)

I still need to learn, for one pro, the first track even in Sonic was pretty awesome looking.

Yusuky

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
The sad part is that some ppl are choosing MK over Sonic probably because they cant run the game.

Some are choosing Sonic over MK because that's their hype atm.

I choose the Sonic because of the difficulty and great gameplay of the game. I used to think MKDS was a great kart game, but seeing how sonic racing got all it could get, MKDS has become just one more of the same mario kart.

Same power ups, same design tracks, same, same, same, same.

Maybe Sonic isn't really better then MK, but it really gave a twist to the genre showing that a kart game can have really good and humanized AI and crazy, but player skill based gameplay and a break to that "sameness" Mario Kart always was.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So you are shocked no one posted this yet? I wonder why?
Mario Kart DS is just a perfect DS game IMHO and loads of other people agree.
I don't think it will ever be beaten as a kart game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...