Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing DS footage

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Feb 15, 2010.

Feb 15, 2010
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I wanted to post what I believe to be the first footage of the Nintendo DS version of Sonic and SEGA All-Star Racing (since i'm the DS guy). The game is a kart racer, very much like Mario Kart. In fact, it's what i'd say is a blatant clone of Mario Kart. Not necessarily bad though. Have a look at the DS game-

Sorry for the lower quality cam footage, it's all there is currently of the DS version. The game uses the same music it appears as the console version, just in midi quality. Which actually sounds good too surprisingly! Never thought i'd be interested in hearing Seaside Hill in midi quality, but i'm hyped to hear the other classic songs in DS mode. Heh.

Now the REALLY interesting thing is that excluding the high resolution graphics and HD quality, the actual tracks are IDENTICAL in terms of structure to the console versions. If you look at the e3 footage of the Seaside Hill track for the big consoles, the DS version shares exactly the same design, which i have to applaud them for. Don't believe me? Take a look at the 360/PS3 version- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wJIRNReDvE

Very nice, i love it when the DS version gets some love, and it seems to be. Even without HD graphics or the fancy level effects, this is a VERY nice looking game for DS. I'm interested, this must be what a 3D Sonic game on DS would look like. And that's cool, considering i wasn't intrigued at all. We'll see how it turns out. There might be a demo available for download play on Wii, try it out if you find it. I wonder if they have all the tracks of the console version in the DS game.

Game coming 2-23-10, so just over a week and we'll see what it can do.

2. MegaAce™

Member MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Germany
    Looks incredibly nice, but what kinda annoys me is that the motor sound of the cars is very loud :/

3. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Yeah the similarities to Mario Kart are there, i noticed on a certain jump in the video that sonic had to spin his kart a few times to be able to land back on the track. Looks promising!

4. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    This got my interest. I wanna see someone hack mario into this or sonic into mario kart. Hoping for too much? probably. But I'll definitely download this.

5. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Yeah, hope they let you turn the motor sound effects down in the options. Probably at least. I just can't believe they tried to make it like the console version. That almost never happens!

By the way, the console version had an announcer that comments constantly during races. Seems to be gone in the DS version. I'm not even sad though, it was annoying IMO. Since when do kart racers need a constant commentary? [​IMG]

6. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    Wow, that does look good. o.O

I would have completely skipped out on this if I hadn't seen it.

7. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I played the demo for the 360 version, and I enjoyed it a lot. This version looks very nice as well, and it seems to run smoothly. The only complaint I had with the 360 version was the annoying announcer guy granville commented on. Thankfully it's not in the DS version.

8. Empoleom

Member Empoleom GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    looks good but why sonic needs a car

9. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    there better be no damn snaking and it should have online wi-fi (i hope)

10. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I've always been looking forward to the 360 version. It's got a pretty good cast. Too bad Toejam and Earl didn't make it, their owner got pissy. And they didn't expect the backlash from NiGHTS being left out so they're probably going to add him to the console games as DLC in the future. For now he's just the flag waver.

I'm a sucker for good cart racers, which there aren't enough of. I can't wait for those. I'm really impressed at the DS version being so faithful.

11. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    It doesn't look like it would allow snaking, but we can't really tell from the vid. It looks like there's powersliding though...after Sonic drifts, he does this wheelie thiing and propels forward. Seems like that mechanic could be a bit annoying.. but could prevent snaking I think! Nevertheless, I can't say much about a game 'til I have tried it..

12. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    This actually looks like it could beat Mario Kart DS!
    What's snaking?

13. Uzumakijl

Member Uzumakijl GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    You watched the video?

It has.

Looks pretty good, And seems to play really smooth too. I would give it a try.

14. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    According to some friends I know that played the 360 demo, you have to snake on the harder difficulties to win. So I know what modes I'm not playing lol.

15. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    Allegedly Yuji Naka always wanted Sonic to be included in Mario Kart. He even talked about the idea with Miyamoto. However the topic always stalled when Naka insisted that Sonic wouldn't need a kart....

hurmmm....

16. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    I can't wait for this one! I go to college and every monday and wednesday in the cafeteria we hold a mario kart contest....can't wait for this one to be played [​IMG]

17. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    demo of this has been upped (not by me)
    if you know where to find them, you can give it a try [​IMG]

18. Lortamios

Banned Lortamios Banned

United States
    Sonic [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sega [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. ericling

Member ericling GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    This probably can beat Mario Kart..

20. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    I doubt it. Mario Kart DS has been around since '05 and the online is STILL booming.