Gaming Sonic & All Star Racing Demo now available (E.U eShop)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for the info. I've heard it was good, but thus far I wasn't sold. I gotta say: I love this demo even more than I do the Rayman demo (and damnit...that is saying a lot!).

I've seen it compared to Mario kart a fair bit, but after playing it, I'd say it's more comparable to F-zero (especially in terms of speed). Still...driving, flying and...erm...boating (?) all require a different approach, which is something I really like. :)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood this game. Why on earth would the Sonic universe make a good racing game? Sonic is fast sure, but the rest of them... lol Amy rides in a friggin toaster for crying out loud.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Yeah i like rayman , id say probably a little more than this , would have liked to have sampled multiplay some , it has a real arcade racer feel to it , i like the fly boat drive approach . I would like to see a MK U before i decided though but i guess thatll be a way off yet.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I never understood this game. Why on earth would the Sonic universe make a good racing game? Sonic is fast sure, but the rest of them... lol Amy rides in a friggin toaster for crying out loud.
Yeah, I don't get this either. Sonic colors wasn't that bad, but I kinda thought this game was mostly for the fans who might actually know the references (I only heard vaguely of most of them).

I certainly got to revise my opinion on it now. It's got a good sense of speed, 3 different types of vehicles, interesting weapons, decent AI and colorful tracks (judging by youtube-vids). Christ...I think ngamer.nl wasn't kidding when they put this game in their top-10 games of 2012.

@rizsparky: I'm sticking by it, man. Just try the demo (or watch some gameplay vids of it) and form your own opinion. :)
(edit: I gotta mention it doesn't have such a steep learning curve. The boost run level is pretty hard, but not as frustrating as the F-Zero singleplayer missions tend to become).

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I tried the Sonic Racer yesterday and I didn't like it either much.

I was kinda surprised in a good way of the intro when I saw the protagonist Vyse of Skies of Arcadia driving one of the cars. Sadly he's not a choosable character in the demo. There were plenty of unlockable characters.

As for the gameplay, it was pretty Meh. IMO it should've had a bit faster speed. The air-mode felt most solid for some reason. The fact you go between water-driving, land-driving and air-driving is just a gimmick. Why don't they just focus on one area and make that one area the best area ever? The water driving does not have the great simulation that Wave Race on the Gamecube had for example. The car driving doesn't have the same responsiveness as F-Zero GX or the newer Mario Karts. The air-mode is the only one which felt kinda solid. But that's mainly because there's not really that many racers out there which are airial racers. The air mode as mentioned felt most solid, it was pretty much of Diddy Kong Racing-caliber.

To me, the game felt kinda empty. I love the fact they base their levels of famous games. Like the second level where u are supposed to get all the boosts is based of Golden Axe. It was a pleasure to hear a remixed version of Golden Axe theme there. However, had it been a mario kart level, surely there'd been more golden axe goodies in the level. Such as the goblins which has food and potions, maybe monsters running around and perhaps even the mounts. All there to make the track easier/harder for you.

Graphicswise the game is very appealing, but that really doesn't help much when the driving just doesn't go fast enough.

All in all, it's definatly a game I won't purchase. The demo did NOT convince me. There's some great nostalgia in it, but the gameplay itself just isn't as tight as a Mario Kart. Because we all know this is really just a Diddy Kong Racing/Mario Kart clone.

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if there is any difficulty settings on the demo, neither if you can choose it, but there are classes of difficulty, and like in Mario art, raising the difficulty also raises the max speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.