Sonic 4 revamped, minecart level totally overhauled

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Aug 20, 2010.

Aug 20, 2010
  1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    [​IMG]
    Sega has announced that the Sonic the Hedgehog 4 delay time has been spent very well indeed, listing a number of improvements that have been made to the game since last we saw it. The biggest news is that the controversial minecart level has been totally overhauled, and now is only a small part of a single act.

Act II of Lost Labyrinth is no longer a motion controlled minecart level but a torch-based exploration one. Most of the Act is in pitch black and Sonic has to keep a torch lit to see where he's going. Encouragingly, Sega has said that "Sonic is more than about speed" and has designed this level to showcase that. The cart will only be at the end of the Act, and won't require fiddly motion control.

In other changes, Sonic's animations have been tweaked so that his legs now become blurry a lot faster. This is a small fix, but it was weird to see Sonic take so long to hit top speed, so this should make the game feel a lot better. Finally, Sega has balanced the gameplay a little, working on making a game that is challenging but not frustrating.

Seems like Sega really took some criticism on board and is working to meet expectations, which is fabulous news. I love that Sega admitted that speed wasn't the only part of a Sonic game that mattered. I've been saying that for years. All in all, it's great to see Sega care, and I hope that continues.
    [/p]
    Sega is putting a lot of effort into Sonic 4. I applaud them! There's a lot of info at the source.​
    [​IMG] Via
    [​IMG] Source

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I thought the main complaints about Sonic 4 were physics and having a classic Sonic experience vs. the "Press Right and occasionally jump" experience of Rush. Animations and one level aren't exactly what I would call "hearing criticisms".

3. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    No complaints about that change, they already did the whole darkness thing in Sandopolis Zone Act 2. (Granted though, you can see where you were going.)
    New Super Mario Bros Wii had a few darkness levels too and they were tolerable.

4. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    Ugh, I don't like darkness.

5. toguro_max

Member toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    They should release this game as a full retail one....
    I fear the whole "episode" stuff...

6. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    They should go back to the original Mega Drive games and take a look at the gameplay because when people say they want something more like that they don't mean replicas of some of the famous levels and speed.

7. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Well, as much of a skeptic as I am when it comes to this game, at least they're fixing something. And after all, I haven't played it yet, so I can't really knock for sure yet.

8. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Sonic 4 is looking at least good and solid. Maybe not perfectly replicating the old games though. It's probably better that they didn't call it Sonic 4 too, because everyone is going to hate on it for not being like the originals. I really do think they're taking their time and buffering out as many complaints or bugs/physics issues they're finding. This is something they should do with every Sonic game, we'd get more good ones if they did this.

Honestly, if you're looking for classic Genesis Sonic gameplay, you're better off with fan-made stuff such as fangames (Sonic Nexus, Retro Sonic, Sonic XG, etc) or hacks (Sonic Megamix). Certain amateur fan programmers have mastered the classic Genesis gameplay and level design so well that it's hard to tell the difference between them and commercial Sonic games. This is not a jab at SEGA in the slightest, but if you're going to complain about every single little thing about the new games (green eyes or running animation), you're better off just not playing new Sonic games...

9. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Is it me, or does it seem like this would be a great game for the larger screen of the 3DS?

10. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    thank fuck they trashed that gimmicky minecart level!

11. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Gameplay will be the final verdict, the verdict is undecided due to hype.

12. Neo_Ch!p

Newcomer Neo_Ch!p Advanced Member

United States
    No matter how much changes you'd bring to the fans they'll still keep biching, they'll take anything small and say "it should be like this" or "the levels are too short" etc.

SEGA making Sonic 4 as episodes clearly shows their unsure if this will appeal to consumers. Its something I'd like to call "hamsterware". Its basically just a testing ground to see if it sells.

Sonic Colors will hopefully supercede this gimmick... but I haven't played neither so I can judge just yet.

13. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Fantastic observation, Neo_Ch!p! I've never thought about it that way, but it does certainly seem like even the developers are starting to doubt the potency of the Sonic franchise.

14. pitoui

Member pitoui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    If anyone played the mine level they would know how absolute shit it was. WTF were they thinking making a whole level.