Sonic 3D Blast to get unofficial patch from original programmer, 21 years later

Sonic fans, or those who grew up with the Sega Genesis might remember one game out of the copious amount of early Sonic spinoffs; Sonic 3D Blast, or, for those across the pond, Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island. The game released more than 20 years ago, back in 1996, for the Sega Saturn, PC, and Genesis. Now, the lead programmer from the game, and founder Traveller's Tales--the company behind Sonic 3D--Jon Burton, has announced that he will be creating an unofficial patch for the game, to add features that were never implemented in the old game. Burton plans to add things like a level editor, the ability to go Super Sonic, slight gameplay improvements, and more. There's no planned release frame for this "director's cut" of Sonic 3D, but regardless of what happens, this is quite a random and interesting reveal.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
It is such a shame that he is using the Mega Drive version as its base, it would have been great if he used the PC or Saturn version, it would be the true ultimate experience IMO, but that is close enough.
Agreed, but he only has found the source code to this version and other Mega Drive/Genesis prototypes, which he's been making amazing and extensive videos for.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
He has since revealed some 60fps gameplay and the changes made so far:

DUDE, this is like an absolute dream come true!!! I can hardly wait to play this patch! I'll re-play the entire game now that all my frustrations have been obliterated.

D

Deleted User

Yeah, Burton does some cool stuff. I subscribed to his YouTube channel for his explanations on getting certain technological feats, such as the intro to 3D Blast, to work on the Genesis. It's really interesting.

While I never played 3D Blast all that much (most of my time was spent on Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles), I'd be willing to check out this hack and see how the gameplay has improved.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A widescreen option would be great since I believe only a minority will be playing this on an actual genesis.

D

Deleted User

A widescreen option would be great since I believe only a minority will be playing this on an actual genesis.
The patch is just that; a patch to the original Genesis ROM. In order to implement a widescreen option, he'd need to either remake the entire game or get it working on a Genesis emulator that supports widescreen (no such emulator exists, to my knowledge).

Reactions: CaptainSwag101

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I hope it will be sega saturn version. Tbh idk why they push genesis game anyway. Saturn is far superior to genesis version.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is cool, but kind of wish he could sell it officially.
Why would he sell it...i mean why would you pay when you can download it for free?

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is such a shame that he is using the Mega Drive version as its base, it would have been great if he used the PC or Saturn version, it would be the true ultimate experience IMO, but that is close enough.

Hmm, but since the steam version has workshop support (IIRC), won't that mean the patch will be compatible with the steam version too?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Holy shit was is a pleasant surprise for me to wake up to.
I absolutely loved Sonic 3D Blast in the original Genesis version, and it fills me with joy to hear that it is getting an update from the original director of the game!

I could care less for the Saturn version, it's OST is forgettable and it only has a slight graphical update, I enjoy the Genesis version way more due to the OST in it, it's far better and almost every tune sticks to your head when you play it.

Reactions: CaptainSwag101

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.