"Sonic 3 - Angel Island Revisited" full game released

Screenshot 2019-04-06 at 16.02.21.png

Sonic 3 - Angel Island Revisited (or Sonic 3 A.I.R.) is a project by @Eukaryot to bring the original SEGA Mega-Drive/Genesis classic into the modern age for Windows PCs by natively incorporating 16:9 widescreen, new mechanics, smooth rotation, bug fixes, pixel filters, a time attack mode and more.

The project has been in development since early 2018 and uses its own custom engine written in Visual Studio to "translate" the original games source code on-the-fly which enables it to be completely faithful to the original game in regards to details like physics, whilst adding a slew of new features that would have been impossible on original hardware.

Sonic 3 A.I.R. Features said:
  • 100% accurate Sonic 3 & Knuckles physics
  • Sonic, Tails, Knuckles fully playable, including Sonic & Tails co-op
  • Widescreen display
  • Additional effects like 360° rotation
  • Optional high quality pixel filter xBRZ
  • Controller support
  • Experimental Time Attack mode
  • Many fixes and small gameplay tweaks
  • Added movement options like Tails Assist and Flight Cancel

Release trailer

The full release now includes all zones through Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994) and Sonic & Knuckles (1994) including all special and bonus stages.

You must already own a copy of Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam to play.

:arrow: Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam
:arrow: Project homepage

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
SEGA didn't pick it up for legality reasons. Some of the music is owned by many different artists instead of SEGA or Sonic Team having the rights to it, so remaking the game would require a lot of money to pay for all the rights to using it. Would likely cost more in that than they would see from profits unfortunately.

I figured that was the reason and IIRC their contact at Sega had left or got moved around (although considering Sonic Mania has happened since then it may not have been the overriding reason).

I was discussing with Sonic Angel Knight about the legal issues, for example, using different music instead similar to S3&K Collection.

It's funny now looking back at Ice Cap Zone after the 'Hard Times' revelation.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This looks awesome.

I figured that was the reason and IIRC their contact at Sega had left or got moved around (although considering Sonic Mania has happened since then it may not have been the overriding reason).

I was discussing with Sonic Angel Knight about the legal issues, for example, using different music instead similar to S3&K Collection.

It's funny now looking back at Ice Cap Zone after the 'Hard Times' revelation.

Is Michael Jackson family and there wasn't a problem until the guy died. Notice how the PS2 Sonic collection has Sonic 3.

I'm so torn about this. On one hand getting the game running in widescreen is awesome. Not to mention the vastly improved framerate of the special stages.

But on the other hand, my previously ideal version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles in terms of content and gameplay is the Sonic 3 Complete hack for Genesis. It has a lot of features which aren't included in this port...

You can like more than one flavour of ice cream... I mean Sonic 3.

Last edited by raxadian,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Is Michael Jackson family and there wasn't a problem until the guy died. Notice how the PS2 Sonic collection has Sonic 3.

I don’t know if it’s just his family as other people were involved. I vaguely recall a topic on Sonic Retro where it discussed a different person.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can someone provide a valid SHA-256 hash to compare my legally obtained copy of the ROM? (Not from that sh**ty Steam thing ofc).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CMDreamer,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've got an original 1997 copy of Sonic & Knuckles Collection, would it work with this hack?
That version uses a weirdly recompiled version of the game's code that is pretty different from the original ROM. There's probably no chance of it working.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don’t know if it’s just his family as other people were involved. I vaguely recall a topic on Sonic Retro where it discussed a different person.

Is basically whoever has the rights to his music.

So yeah unless you have one of the earlier compilations or the original game, there is no way to get Sonic 3 legally anymore.

Sonic Mega Collection Plus can be bought used for five to eight bucks, but the game has emulation problems in the PS2 version due to hardware limitations. And if you want delivery is gonna cost more.

And people wonders why I haven't sold my PS2 yet.

Last edited by raxadian,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone provide a valid SHA-256 hash to compare my legally obtained copy of the ROM?
I don't know if it's against the rules to share that information here. But if you search some rom hacks with patching instructions/info they do tell what the statistics you should use to patch with. :ninja:

A good copy of the rom would normally have a "!" in the file name. If it has anything else like "b" or "f" it's not legit.
W = stands for world, usually mean not region locked when region locked games would have J,U,E in the title to represent which region console it works for.
! = usually is the best sign of a good rom copy.
b = bad rom dump, probably due to dusty contact problems or something.
f = I assume means something was modified in the code to fix a issue, not sure if it was a rom hacker or what.

Most likely, if your rom works with ips patches with no issues, it's the proper rom. The rom I have has "(W) [!].BIN" In the name, which is a good copy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person