"Sonic 3 - Angel Island Revisited" full game released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Apr 6, 2019.

Front-page
    Screenshot 2019-04-06 at 16.02.21.

Sonic 3 - Angel Island Revisited (or Sonic 3 A.I.R.) is a project by @Eukaryot to bring the original SEGA Mega-Drive/Genesis classic into the modern age for Windows PCs by natively incorporating 16:9 widescreen, new mechanics, smooth rotation, bug fixes, pixel filters, a time attack mode and more.

The project has been in development since early 2018 and uses its own custom engine written in Visual Studio to "translate" the original games source code on-the-fly which enables it to be completely faithful to the original game in regards to details like physics, whilst adding a slew of new features that would have been impossible on original hardware.

Release trailer

The full release now includes all zones through Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994) and Sonic & Knuckles (1994) including all special and bonus stages.

You must already own a copy of Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam to play.

:arrow: Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam
    :arrow: Project homepage

Sliter, CallmeBerto, Auyx and 24 others like this.
    Discussion (96 replies)
  1. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    WHAT!!!!!! :blink:

Now i got to stop watching anime for this! :creep:

maorninja, bomigoton and shaunj66 like this.
  2. D4X

D4X Ultra 64

Sep 9, 2016
    Australia
    I had no idea this was in the works! Looks awesome! Gonna have to give this a go.

3. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Orlando, Florida
    I'm so torn about this. On one hand getting the game running in widescreen is awesome. Not to mention the vastly improved framerate of the special stages.

But on the other hand, my previously ideal version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles in terms of content and gameplay is the Sonic 3 Complete hack for Genesis. It has a lot of features which aren't included in this port...

Last edited by granville, Apr 6, 2019
  4. FancyNintendoGamer567

FancyNintendoGamer567 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    Just to mention everyone, you technically DON'T need the Steam version of S3K to play S3 AIR. If you have a single ROM of S3K then you can use that too.

5. shaunj66
    OP

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    It technically just compares the checksum, so... Yeah. ;) But showing your support for the game by buying a copy is always a good idea and lets SEGA know that there's still interest in this classic game that seems to be omitted from SEGA collections and remakes these days.

6. Silverfrost208

Silverfrost208 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2016
    United States
    Was never a big fan of sonic 3 but after seeing this, Now I really wanna do a full playthrough!

7. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Or they can just you know... put it in collections because it's integral to the best system they ever had in terms of success. :blink:

8. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    I'm all for showing support, but I've got two or three legal copies of Sonic 1-3 + Knuckles (Steam and Sonic Mega Collection at least off the top of my head). At some point, I'd rather not continue to show my support if it means other games (Monster World IV, SMS/GG games, etc) aren't released. :/ Having said that, Steam Workshop for playing rom hacks is pretty nice.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  9. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Orlando, Florida
    I've got an original 1997 copy of Sonic & Knuckles Collection, would it work with this hack?

10. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Supposedly there may be a legal reason behind the omission on newer collections.

They could perhaps replace the affected music but then people would probably complain because Ice Cap Zone may be one of them (look up ‘Hard Times’ by the Jetzons.).

Vorde likes this.
  11. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Amazing!
    Heard of tjis a long time ago, glad to hear it is finished now :)
    Now they need to start adding features from Sonic 3 Complete to make this the ultimate version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles :P

maorninja and Robz8 like this.
  12. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well since sonic 3 complete already has option to use replaced music, I'm used to it. But I would prefer the game be there than not. Omitting the game is travesty, especially if they have to remove music, but I like the game cause it's fun to play, I can listen to the music somewhere else. It won't kill me.

This project is pretty cool. So far I like the wide screen support, and THANK GOD someone added a XBRZ pixel filter. Most people hate pixel filters but if they was gonna add any, I'm glad it's that one and not just a bilinear filter and smoothing with scanline emulation.

There is a ton of options and such, which also threw me by surprise. I thought it would be just wide screen and smooth FPS. :P

Robz8 likes this.
  13. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Believe it or not but Taxman and Stealth prototyped a remastered Sonic 3, but Sega never picked it up.

http://hcstealth.tumblr.com/post/100311283757/sonic-3-knuckles-20th-anniversary

I wonder if this is the real reason why Angel Island zone was in Sonic Mania (a bit)?

Vorde likes this.
  14. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    I have to buy it on fucking steam?

15. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    SEGA didn't pick it up for legality reasons. Some of the music is owned by many different artists instead of SEGA or Sonic Team having the rights to it, so remaking the game would require a lot of money to pay for all the rights to using it. Would likely cost more in that than they would see from profits unfortunately.

Read the thread before posting and it's clear what options you can use.

MorningBlunt likes this.
  16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Okay that's pretty cool. And unlike Nintendo, Sega isn't a total dick about ROM hacks.

FateForWindows and Vorde like this.
  17. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Ah shit. Guess who doesn't really use Steam.

(Edit: No, it just takes a Sonic 3 & Knux ROM.)

Last edited by CeeDee, Apr 6, 2019
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well I didn't disregard the idea of something like this existing, but Sega is Gatekeeping this so, meh. Sonic Manic fills enough of the fun gameplay sonic 3 provided that I think if they would probably put sonic mania out for android/ios over sonic 3. I just want it to be part of collections for legacy sake. Having to look back at this ten years later and say "Sega sure became a public enemy back then when they didn't have Sonic 3 or _____ game on their compilations celebrating the legacy of their console." Even worse when you can't explain to new generations because sega refuse to make a statement about the matter and all you can do is speculate. :blink:

You just need a properly dumped rom. The steam suggestion was probably because it's the source of the rom they used when making the mod. Usually it important to get a precise rom dump patches to work because of compatibility reasons. But any good rom dump would work. Steam is also the easiest way to get a good rom dump. :ninja:

19. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Does someone have some footage of Sonic 3 AIR with the xBZR filter applied?
    I'd like to see how it looks with it.