Sonic 2 GG Auto-Demo leaked! (With a few other prototypes)

matpower

Messenger from Zero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

And we got another Sonic prototype around and it is pretty different from the final.

Other prototypes are Tails' Adventure - Review Copy and Sonic Labyrinth - Review Copy, but they are nearly final. :(
The Sonic 2 GG AutoDemo has an internal date code of 1991-12-05, nine months before the final's date of 1992-09-05.
People already hacked the Sonic 2 GG Auto Demo to make it playable, so check that "hack" out too! (There are lots of different stuff, no Tails around and it is pretty broken on some levels, spikes and springs actually work though).

Google is your friend, since it is warez AFAIK.

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
why are review copies nearly final? maybe if there is bugs how are gonna know if it is gonna fixed. Then review will be kinda pointless since they are gonna cover up the game how it plays and everything. back then games couldn't be patched.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have played the Sonic 2 Game Gear Auto Demo and some of the early content is better than the final product. A short joke TAS I made of it.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
why are review copies nearly final? maybe if there is bugs how are gonna know if it is gonna fixed. Then review will be kinda pointless since they are gonna cover up the game how it plays and everything. back then games couldn't be patched.

Well, I will quote the dumper on this matter:
Apart from a few odd bytes in Tails Adventures, both the Sonic Labyrinth & Tails Adventures prereleases appear to be the final builds (review copies) despite being on prototype cartridges. These things can happen from to time to time when it comes to finding Sonic prototypes, but at least it's one less thing to track down and we got hold of some pretty cool SEGA GG prototype PCBs. Let's not forget the most important prototype we managed to get, Sonic 2 GG.
Basically, they are fully working like the final build/released game, there shouldn't be any exclusive bugs or that stuff.

Reactions: ShonenJump

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Back then reviewers were used as a final test for the games, since they hadn't played the other builds (or if they played it was only a demo with one stage or two) they wouldn't be biased and using workarounds or only a way through a stage, and then they could report those bugs back to the developers.
Even if they couldn't do a new build before launch, they would use those infos to launch a revised version later on the market (or when the game is launched later at another region).
EDIT: And on SEGA's case, they normally sent review copies using prototype casings (as reported by matpower), or in some cases they sent these games "burned" in re-writable cartridges.

Reactions: ShonenJump

Gaming4Ever

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow amazing that after all this time these Prototypes still keep popping up...........

So many Gems us gamers never got around to playing or trying out makes me Proud to live in the Age of the Interwebs :download:

matpower

Messenger from Zero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have played the Sonic 2 Game Gear Auto Demo and some of the early content is better than the final product. A short joke TAS I made of it.

Yeah, sadly they changed everything in the final game(They also got the game from a broken state to a full game in 9 months :P)
Some Green Hills Zone comparation pictures here.

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Back then reviewers were used as a final test for the games, since they hadn't played the other builds (or if they played it was only a demo with one stage or two) they wouldn't be biased and using workarounds or only a way through a stage, and then they could report those bugs back to the developers.
Even if they couldn't do a new build before launch, they would use those infos to launch a revised version later on the market (or when the game is launched later at another region).
EDIT: And on SEGA's case, they normally sent review copies using prototype casings (as reported by matpower), or in some cases they sent these games "burned" in re-writable cartridges.
Thanks didnt knew it. Awesome to see a prototype that was from years ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?