OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States

Today, SEGA released the anticipated Sonic 1 mobile port by Taxman (Christian Whitehead) to iOS and Android. This re-release of Sonic 1 is built from the ground up, with remastered graphics, playable Knuckles and Tails, and all the good stuff Taxman usually puts into his ports. If you already owned the old port, you can download this new version as a free update. Also, the Sonic 2 port is due to be released in the coming weeks.

I am playing the port right now, and I can tell you, this is a real nice job. The game has colorful menus, and everything feels silky smooth in controls.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I never quite understood why people would want to play Sonic 1 with Tails or Knuckles or Sonic 2 with Knuckles (this was actually possible via Sonic & Knuckles) when the levels are explicitly designed to be played as Sonic. The special abilities of all characters, namely flying and climbing simply allow you to fly through, bypassing most dangers. The levels were specifically designed to be played in a given fashion - change the rules and the level makes little sense.

...well, maybe for the heck of it, it's fun to play the game as a different character, but it still takes a little bit of challenge away from the intricate design of the stages, and in some cases it can be game breaking to an extent.

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sega............

Daily-Life-GIFs-17-Sarcastic-Clapping.gif

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
...well, maybe for the heck of it, it's fun to play the game as a different character, but it still takes a little bit of challenge away from the intricate design of the stages, and in some cases it can be game breaking to an extent.
Sometimes gamebreaking is the best part of a game. Sonic 2 and 3 can be totally exploited with glitches and mayhem at every turn if you know how to.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is quite the superb remake, even with the iOS touch controls it manages quite well.
It does more than just widen the display area but enlarges it a bit too, and handles just great, the whole new UI based on the Japanese boxart looks awesome and fluent, and has nice menu music too.
There are a couple of oddities though, Robotnik cannot be attacked whilst he is entering the screen, before he lowers the wrecking ball and starts swinging it, and the special stage rotation is very smooth, but the physics seem a bit impeded compared to the original. That might just be me struggling with the touchscreen controls though.

This is seriously a superb port and should be brought to more than just mobile devices, please let this be the basis of the 3DS eShop port.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    Veho @ Veho: Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.