OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me, I'm not entirely used to the formatting used here on GBATemp.

Apparently, the Cards used in Pokemon HeartGold and Soul Silver have IR sensors built into them. Or so one might think, the DSi in this picture in this topic is turned towards the Pokewalker. That would tell me that it's using IR, however the news in this topic may not be entirely confirmed and it may just coincidentially be pointed towards it while using a Wireless (Not IR, as they are quite different I assure you) communication type.

Source: http://www.ds-scene.net/?s=viewtopic&nid=7796&p=2

This does not confirm that the games won't be able to run period on a Flashcart, nor does it confirm that they will. It should merely confirm that the Pokewalker will not work with a Flashcart running HG or SS. I would assume that they would be able to run without the Pokewalker, but again I do not know.

From Serebii's website http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalk.shtml

This particular page about halfway down states that you have to go into some menu in-game before you can transfer them over. This is where I would assume that your card would be synced to your Pokewalker (Provided it really is using IR). However, the syncing could really be done when the game first boots up, and until it is done the actual game itself will not boot. I can not picture the latter as being the case for some reason due to the fact that if you lost the Pokewalker you would never be able to play HG/SS again, even if it was a retail copy, because it would never find the pokewalker, and never boot. I cannot picture Nintendo doing something that would prevent a retail copy from working.

Again, I apologize if this is old news.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats so good. Now people won't have to pirate them. Maybe there going to block Flashcarts with that game like the game has to find the IR sensor if it doesn't it won't work.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
...What if the Pokéwalker is used as a key to the game?
In other words, the game refuses to start with the Pokéwalker is not detected?

I absolutely plan to buy the game when it's released anyway, as well as use the pokéwalker, it'll just be inconvenient if I can't play it with my Flashcart though.

Seriously though, an infra-red in the GAMECARD? That's dedication to reproducing the Gameboy Color's gimmick.

Overlord Zetta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Again, I do not know specifics.

If the game doesnt boot up each time unless the Pokewalker is synced, then if you were to lose the Pokewalker (As I presented this scenario earlier), you'd never be able to play your retail copy again. That would be a stupid move by Nintendo.

Then again, it could just be a wireless non-IR communication.

Nevertheless, if the game indeed doesn't boot unless the IR is detected, then people who own flashcarts will eventually develop a patch (I don't anticipate it taking very long), which will fluke, or fool the game into thinking it's synced with a device that in reality doesn't exist at all.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would predict the Pokéwalker would only be needed to start a new game, and not to continue it every time.
But yeah, even with it needing to detect a new hardware, they probably can just write a patch for that.

Silent Storm

Trophies
XP
Country
PokeWalker doesn't seem all that anyway, at least from what I heard. I doubt a lot of people will use it for levelling up etc when with codes and pokesav you can level up to in a matter or seconds/mins. But yeah I also doubt that we will even need this device to play the games, cause what if we lose it? >.

kudaku

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the game requires someone to have to pokewalker everytime you start it, I would rather use a flash cart with an eventual patch then buy it.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
what a dumb idea
those pokewalkers will be worth more then the actual game in years to come and give nintendo a great after sale market

Overlord Zetta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was pondering upon these matters, and I realized something.

If someone synchronizes their Pokewalker, and then proceeds to dump the game, there is a possibility that you won't see the sync screen (Provided it is required, which I still highly doubt. Unlike Walk With Me, the Pokewalker seems to come off to me as being an optional accessory), and you will have a working muffin.

I still believe there is a good chance that the Pokewalker will not need to be synched to start a new game. Again, to me it exhibits the aura of being optional.

Even if it is, Pokesav+Some other dudes Gamesave+Flashcart=Bypass. Because you can change your ID#, SID#, and Name without the game even caring.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personal trainer walking also has IR built into the cartridge so that it can communicate with its pedometers, so it is likely to be the same with Pokemon HG/SS no doubt.

Overlord Zetta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, so basically one way or the other, Nintendos efforts will be in vain.

If the Pokewalker is required, then all we need is a patch of some sort that loads dummy data to fool the rom into thinking it's synchronizing with an actual device, or some way to re-point the game into never loading the Pokewalker check (Provided this is the case, which again I do not feel it will be)

More likely than not it will be an optional thing, no need to synchronize it with a game unless you want to actually use it.

Also, lets be frankly honest, who the heck cares about special moves on special pokemon. We have Pokesav, and it will probably take but one mere pokemon being caught in the Pokewalker, sent to someone's real card, and then later traded to someones flash cart and we will have alot of the data we need in order to replicate and create those very same pokemon. I doubt it will even take that to be honest.

Unlike with Walk With Me, which the entire game's programing and point revolves around it's pedometer, Pokemon HG/SS's story and gameplay do not seem to revolve and be solely based upon it at all, which would lead me to believe that the Pokewalker is completely optional.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess if you lost your Pokewalker maybe Nintendo could have a program where you send in your copy of the game and they would send you a new Pokewalker with your game back, using the game to make sure you're not trying to get free stuff or something. If Nintendo really wanted to hold off piracy that badly they would just do what they did with Earthbound or at least something similar to it. Or even if you're playing a pirated copy of the game, the game will overheat and cause your DS to brick or catch on fire...just throwing out ideas
tongue.gif

Fatboy12345236

Trophies
XP
Country
Well. Not to kinda be a noob, but personaly I really prefer my Flashcart being like the real game E.G I wouldn't like seeing "Flashcart Detected" and then someone makes a fix that requires you to press R at that screen or something. When I tap my ROM on my EDGE I like it being like I just inserted my game, and It's loading I wouldn't like to see "IRC Failed." and then a heap of numbers comming up, anyone get my point?

Posts merged

Aeladya said:
I guess if you lost your Pokewalker maybe Nintendo could have a program where you send in your copy of the game and they would send you a new Pokewalker with your game back, using the game to make sure you're not trying to get free stuff or something. If Nintendo really wanted to hold off piracy that badly they would just do what they did with Earthbound or at least something similar to it. Or even if you're playing a pirated copy of the game, the game will overheat and cause your DS to brick or catch on fire...just throwing out ideas
tongue.gif
If this was the case if you where trying to run a "legal" backup then you could prob. go sue Nintendo because you own the game, and they go brick your NDS,
laugh.gif

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just saying that if they wanted to hold off piracy then they could do that, but obviously they aren't. Not only that, but the legality of playing Roms is questionable, even if you do own the game, IIRC Nintendo has pretty much said that you can't play the Rom itself, as it is only supposed to be used for authentication purposes.

"The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic."

So suing Nintendo because you're playing a Rom that made you brick your DS would be your fault, not theirs as they've stated that if you use unauthorized devices on your systems and they break then it's your own fault.

Spenstar

"Leave it to me"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Confirmed, the card and pedometer use IR for communication so it's impossible to use a Pokéwalk with the current generation of flash cards.

rough translation of Pokéwalk specs:

Specifications
Batteries: button batteries, used a one (CR2032)
Weight: about 21g (including batteries)
Body Dimensions: Diameter: 48mm Thickness: 13.9mm (not including key top)
Supports infrared communication
With a pedometer
"Pokemon Gold Heart" and "Pokemon Silver Seoul" included with

http://www.4gamer.net/games/091/G009105/20090608005/

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Spenstar said:
QUOTE said:
Confirmed, the card and pedometer use IR for communication so it's impossible to use a Pokéwalk with the current generation of flash cards.

rough translation of Pokéwalk specs:

Specifications
Batteries: button batteries, used a one (CR2032)
Weight: about 21g (including batteries)
Body Dimensions: Diameter: 48mm Thickness: 13.9mm (not including key top)
Supports infrared communication
With a pedometer
"Pokemon Gold Heart" and "Pokemon Silver Seoul" included with

http://www.4gamer.net/games/091/G009105/20090608005/

Does the PokeWalker work on both the DSi and DS Lite? that picture had me in question.

A while back, there was a major post on the headline saying that Nintendo was coming up with some new anti-piracy protection starting December or something. IR could be a new way of blocking but I highly doubt it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PotatoStatic @ PotatoStatic: Jesus. Someone really wants to give me speedy loans.