Someone said all N3DS XL manufactured after November have IPS screens...

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by thebatdadd, Jan 24, 2016.

1. thebatdadd
    OP

thebatdadd GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    United States
    I read somewhere on reddit that all N3DS XL manufactured since November have at least a top IPS screen. If anyone has bought a N3DS XL recently can you confirm or deny this? I've actually had my hands on 3 different N3DS XL systems and dislike the IPS screens that are used, they seem to have a scanlining or interlacing effect that looks bad to me (and 2 of them had very yellow screens, not sure if this is due to IPS though). I'm interested in the Fire Emblem Fates New 3DS XL but I'd honestly rather have a TN top screen on it, like my old XL does.

So does anyone know if all New 3DS XL since November have an IPS top screen?

2. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    mine has an ips screen and bought after november.

3. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Is there any way to determine a N3DS XL's manufacture date from its serial number? Some units bought after November may have been manufactured a lot earlier and simply shelved for a long time.

(For the record, mine's IPS but bought before November)

4. pixelfehler

pixelfehler Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Bought mine in december, N3dsxl Happy Home Designer Bundle EU.
    IPS screen but i think it has little scanline effect.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The yellow goes away on its own, it's due to the glue they use having a yellow color when it's freshly manufactured.

6. Papayo

Papayo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2007
    Right over there -->
    Bought mine last week with a TN screen. It was obviously old stock though, as it came with firmware 9.4.

Was pretty disappointed at first that it didn't come with the IPS screen, but I'm not too upset now. The screen still looks pretty great to me. Besides, I used to have an old 3DS with a TN screen, so in a sense I don't really know what I'm missing lol.