1. mike a

OP mike a GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well we live in the age of social media and stuff... So what if someone made a way to go on facebook,reddit, or twitter etc on a 3ds.. Yes I already know about the YouTube app. Don't even know if it's possible or worth it.

Or are there any other platforms for social networking on a 3ds?

2. Blue

Blue GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Well in this day and age no one uses a 3DS for social media. Plus I think those all work in a N3DS browser.

Last edited by Blue, Oct 23, 2018
    Lemon_ and Deleted-379826 like this.
  3. mike a

United States
    Ya but I figured it was a good question plus, you could find someone online and since you're already on the 3ds you could start playing something

4. seren3

seren3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    A lot of services dropped n3ds support a few months ago.
    That's an idea though, if we could patch the Web Browser user agent string to be something like "Safari, IOS 11", then everything would kick right back on. I think that would be the easiest way to enable access to social networking and other stuff on the n3ds.

Where is the web browser stored? If I could dig around in the guts, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find the string.

Last edited by seren3, Nov 26, 2018
  5. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina

United Kingdom
    You can find the browser with GodMode9 in
    1:SYSNAND CTRNAND/title/00040030/

Look for the exact location on 3dbrew title list; it depends on the region. Scroll down a bit to find it.

6. StuntHacks

StuntHacks Member
    Newcomer

Austria
    That's just plain wrong. A lot of services don't work anymore because the 3DS natively only supports TLS1.1, which is very outdated. Using mbedtls, one could program a custom browser and those services would work perfectly. But the 3DS browser will never be able to do that again, at least not without an update.

SCOTT0852 likes this.
  7. YetoJesse

YetoJesse GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    People using their gaming console to access social media or other sites they shouldn't to begin with in this day and age, smh...
    These feels like crying for netflix4switch all over again...

8. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez XFlak Fanboy
    Banned

United States
    Well no fucking shit! I wonder why.

Do you honestly think that a banking institution would have no problem with someone trying to access their services while using a pentesting distro? That would be like asking a sex offender to babysit your children.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  9. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    To be fair, anyone who would actually attempt using that pentesting distro to mess with the bank website is basically guaranteed to use VPNs, user agent spoofers and whatever else, so it's not like it would do much. It's probably more of a generic "we don't recognize this user agent -> it might not work 100% properly -> let's disable it just in case to prevent upset consumers contacting us when something inevitably breaks on this untested setup".

SCOTT0852 and Subtle Demise like this.
  10. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez XFlak Fanboy
    Banned

United States
    I would be certain that most services have the simple line for blocking kali and other pentesting distros. Some stupid kids downloads kali and just tries fucking with things happens all the time.

11. KyoLikesTrees

KyoLikesTrees GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    I think a new browser via homebrew would be cool but I understand that not many people (if any) are interested in making one..

mike a likes this.
  12. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    Making a browser from scratch is an insane amount of work, especially if you want one that works properly and supports modern websites.

13. KyoLikesTrees

Austria
  14. StuntHacks

StuntHacks Member
    Newcomer

Austria
    That's not that much of a problem, one could just use Gecko or Quantum as the base engine. The main problem is that it isn't really needed.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Never knew you could use the 3ds for paypal.. Time for a infinite money hack!:creep:

16. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    Would that work on a 3DS though? Most modern browsers have fairly steep system requirements.

17. StuntHacks

StuntHacks Member
    Newcomer

Austria
    The engines themselves don't, though. You would just need to write the rendering code yourself.

18. mike a

United States
    Well I think some sort of social media app is the next thing for consoles etc. I mean there's so many upsides to it

19. TesseractStorm

TesseractStorm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I chuckle at this, because the console makers aren't going to put much effort into 'social media' apps. At most they have little connections like being able to post achievements to facebook or something but there is little need for a 'social media app' on a console. If I want to post to facebook, I want something a bit easier to work with than a game controller for input. And ultimately, if I'm on the go, I have my phone. If I'm home I have a PC. Both provide better input for social media than any console or handheld I've had. And the console makers have their own little gaming focused forms of social media that they'd rather players used than any third party stuff. They've only recently grudgingly started accomodating Twitch.

20. KyoLikesTrees

Austria
    Now I know how to put it into words. For me it would be awesome but at the same time I can see why most people would just rather use a phone or computer for stuff. I'd might do a browser if I had the knowledge to do so, but at the same time it would be a massive project and i think you wouldn't get much out of it, the 3ds has it's limits and I'm not a company that could regularly update the browser so all features would work at any time.

I think a direct picture posting thing via the dead miiverse app would be neat though. But not sure if that is possible.

Edit: (by that I don't mean it would have to be a social media but maybe some way to upload it in a private cloud or something so you can post it from a pc/smartphone)

Last edited by KyoLikesTrees, Oct 25, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Someone, mention, might