Someone help me with this computer problem, PLEASE

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Gaisuto, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Windows\System32\Config\System...Corrupt/missing and whatnot.

This is an urgent matter, because it's the computer for a radio station in town, and there will be hell to pay if we lose everything. There's some very important information on here. I checked Microsoft's site about it, but the instructions are honestly intimidating and I don't want to risk doing anything wrong unless there's no other option. Is there anything I can do which is easier?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Ben-us%3B307545
    This is what's intimidating me.

Please, I'm begging. We need to fix this thing within three hours or we're dead...

2. wohoo

Member wohoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    if you ask me it looks like you have to format the disk (or maybe just reinstall windows)

anyway, how is the computer when you're trying to use it?

3. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Formatting is not an option, since I value my life. We have to fix this without format. We can not lose ANYTHING on here.

What do you mean how is the computer? You boot it up, gives you that error, and nothing else. And the recovery console is an option, but it scares me.

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Put in a new HD and install windows on it. Everything on the old HD will stay where it is. Better yet, get a computer that already has a working install of windows on it and drop the HD from the problem computer into it.

If you need it fixed in two hours you'd better do something fast. System restore takes time, installing software takes time, and installing windows takes a long time.

5. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Wont work. Windows installs are configured to the chipset of a motherboard. If I move my HD w/ windows install to another 975X chipset motherboard, it will work. But if I move it to a nForce 680i chipset motherboard, it will say "cannot find operating system please insert operating system disk and press any key to continue" or something like that.

6. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You misunderstand. If you have a computer that works, and you add the HD from the other system as a second disk, you have access to all the data from the other computer on a working system.

7. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Oh yeah, that would work.

8. Paralel

Newcomer Paralel Advanced Member

United States
    I'd follow the instructions on the site you linked to, they are your best bet at getting the system up and running again in short order.

Hopefully you will learn from this and start a regular backup routine.

9. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    Put the drive in another machine as a slave.
    Browse to the folder that contains the missing or corrupt file, then grab the original good file off of a windows CD and place it in the folder. Put the HD back in your computer, and you should be good to go [​IMG]