Someone has ported DOOM to the new Game & Watch

Whether it's a rule, or merely an inevitability, if it exists, someone can and will port DOOM to it. YouTuber Stacksmashing has brought the game to a new and rather unexpected platform: the new Nintendo Game & Watch handheld. He details his experiences in porting the 1993 game to the system, which included having to use a version of DOOM that removes textures and replaces them with simple outlines and flat colors, in order for the game to fit onto the Game & Watch's very small storage. Getting DOOM to a playable state on such an odd system won't be the end of his exploits, either, as Stacksmashing and fellow coder Konrad Beckmann are working together on releasing a homebrew creation tool for the new Game & Watch.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Man... I can't believe they were so skint with the ram. They could have just left a full 8MB, and that would have cost the nothing.

What I find weirder is how Nintendo went for a more 'efficient' design compared to e.g. the NES Classic (256MB RAM, 512MB Flash).

Something like the G+W is closer to what I'd have expected the NES classic to be spec wise.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20201123_223641.jpg

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Since there's hardly any RAM on the device, I think they could write some kind of "bank-switchung" code to stream the assets being used into RAM as they're being called for, instead of loading them all into ram at once. That should get you fully textured maps with better performance.

Ajlr

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
There needs to be a Lemmings port here. Some Turbografx, Master System, Game Gear, Amiga, Genesis, Atari ST, Atari 8-bit, 2600, 7800, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Neo Geo Pocket and Pocket Color games would be nice. Oh and of course Mario 3 and other NES games.

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, I'm gonna run straight to a scalper and pick one of these up for double the price of retail!

Seriously though, screw Nintendo for not announcing preorders were available, and screw best buy for never emailing me that they were in stock or on sale. Just went from "not yet available" to "out of stock." I absolutely hate all of this electronics scalping and I hope hell is real only so these people have to try and buy a ticket to heaven from scalper demons.

/rant sorry, but I had to vent somewhere.

Reactions: wartutor
D

Deleted User

That's all well and good, but all I would want is the ability to play all the official Game & Watch titles on this, sans the two-screen versions.

Octopus was my first Game & Watch, so it holds sentimental value for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there