Somebody explain the Golden Raspberry Awards to me.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Can anyone explain the criteria for establishing a "worst film of the year"? Because I know for a fact that the worst movie made in the year 2000. was this one. The worst film of that year. Period. However, it wasn't awarded a Razzie it so richly deserved for its (lack of) accomplishments. Instead, the Razzie went to... Battlefield Earth. Which, bad though it may be, definitely wasn't the absolutely worst film of 2000. But, hey.

It appears that merely being bad isn't enough for the Razzies, because giving the prizes to the actually bad movies instead of merely mediocre blockbusters would soon plunge the Razzies into obscurity. The movies they nominate and the people vote on are more specifically "the most disappointing movie" of the year, one that was anticipated but turned out not so good as the propaganda promised. The word they like to use is "infamous".

Of course, this is not the truth either, because the list of "nominees" is merely all the MTV movie awards and Academy awards nominees combined. And then letting people spit at them. Because poking fun at popular culture is great and makes you look cool and extends your e-penis.

What do you think?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe they have to have people in them that are relatively famous. I didn't recognize anyone from that mummy movie you linked to. There must be some mainstream requirements. Also, you might have thought that that was the worst movie of the year, but someone could have thought Battlefield Earth was the most movie. Some people obviously did. You can't call personal opinion fact

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
science said:
Also, you might have thought that that was the worst movie of the year, but someone could have thought Battlefield Earth was the most movie.
Only because they haven't seen "Scream of the mummy".
wink.gif

But I'm being serious. Those lists are never absolute. For example, the "top 100 best songs ever" and the "top 100 worst songs ever" share over twenty titles. Same with movies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.